Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
That's awesome. I plan on keeping the original color.
I looked at it yesterday and the rust is pretty substantial.
Possibly floors, front A-Arm area rockers, lower fenders.

Seem the windshield seal failed and allowed water to enter and damage the floor.

I was mistaken I only found 2 wrenches, tire iron, jack and took kit envelope.

Thinking of selling off these parts to get started.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
gearhead

Take all the rust you found yesterday and now double it. That’s how much you will have in the end.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-02-2019, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, same equation was used when I worked on old CJ7"s

Seems there are replacement panels for most of it. Hopefully I can get some in Hershey.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl S. View Post
Yes, same equation was used when I worked on old CJ7"s

Seems there are replacement panels for most of it. Hopefully I can get some in Hershey.
Don’t start off by buying parts, especially sheet metal. Metal is metal and is deceiving because it isnt that different from the Jeep world you have experience with. (Except the aftermarket Porsche panels aren’t as good a quality as Jeep panels)

The real killer is hard parts you need from Porsche. EVERYTHING is enormously more expensive than a Jeep. Like 10 times or more. Also, dont underestimate the expected level of quality of a completed car. People run around in a Jeep that has corners cut and no one cares, a “restored” 911 is usually expected to look pretty good, unless it is a “survivor”.

Clean everything and take stock of what your have. Make sure the motor turns. Make a preliminary list and price out parts. Then make the decision to go ahead.

I have a 60’s Porsche stored for a friend who started the disassembly process first. It will cost so much to put back together that the process has stopped and will likely never restart. Almost unsellable now, parts are spread out between 3 garages and a barn.

Don’t go there unless you WANT to and have your eyes wide open as to what you are getting into
Old 04-02-2019, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Ha! Ms. Josephine Thornton, the original owner, lived at the Watergate!
Old 04-02-2019, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Just slop a thick layer of shellac on it and call it a rat rod. Turn the rust into patina. LoL
Old 04-02-2019, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the advice. The car will make it into my garage on tomorrow. There it will get a good powerwash and cleaning. I destroyed an ant nest residing under the drivers side rear seat.

I am definitely above my comfort level dealing with the prices of Porsche items. I'd say probably more like 20 times more expensive.

Agreed, I'm not a comp-cut jeep guy. I'm very attention to detail. I have been teaching Engineering for 27 years. Very detail oriented.

So Alicia agreed to keep it when the handshake deal was made back in Feb. It is mine now, not to part out, but to do the best I can with it.

I guess if I get stuck I could always apply to Velocity's "Garage Squad" for help. Would make a cool episode.

Last edited by Carl S.; 04-02-2019 at 08:52 AM..
Old 04-02-2019, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl S. View Post
I guess if I get stuck I could always apply to Velocity's "Garage Squad" for help. Would make a cool episode.
That's a nice thought, but unless you talk with an obnoxious Chicago accent you cannot get on the show.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Got that covered, my fiancé is Colombian. She can sport the attitude and get us on the show.
Sweet!!!!! One finished 911.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: