Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostami6 View Post
Haha. I agree. I can spot any 911 a mile away on the road. I don’t recall ever seeing a little old lady driving one.
Well....you’ve clearly never met my Mother In Law.....she’s has owned a manual transmission 911 since the 1970’s....orders and keeps for 10 years and orders another one. She always gets the good sound system, wheels, and leather.....and always a manual transmission because it’s a proper sports car in her terminology.

She’s a with-it and fashionable lady that has always appreciated the form and history of Porsche, even if she didn't drive particularly aggressively or super fast.

Her father was a car guy and she caught the bug at a young age.

She certainly had the good taste to keep the 993 longer than usual as she wasn’t able to stomach the 996....she ordered a 997 when they became available.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK3.2 View Post
It's not a mystery. Gentleman buys his dream car once the kids have gone through college, drives it for 15-20 years than croaks. Women tend to outlive men, so the widow continues to drive it or just lets it sit in the garage till some other life event prompts her to sell it. I've seen that exact scenario multiple times with people I know.
BLACK3.2 = As the kids say.....”Cool story bro”.....but not the deal in this situation. Thanks for the speculation.

My Mother In law is the “car guy” in the family....she bought her first 911 (1970’s) as soon as she could afford it and never wavered.

Sometimes My FIL would own a 911, but he usually had a cab or targa....’cause he isn’t a car guy...and non-car guys buy cabs...always a manual transmission because even old non-cars know how to operate a clutch.

Best stable was 993 c2 discussed here, 993 cab and 997....with some S-class Merc to drive to the grocery store.

Both my MIL and FIL are still living, and doing well. thank you for the concern for their well-being.

FIL isn’t driving much (hearing issues) and MIL finds the pedals difficult to reach...that and someone hit her in her 997 and it was totaled and she started to desire a larger car.....her first car accident occurred in her 70’s.

They are content to drive their old Cayenne and they ordered a Macan....
With no daily commute they don’t really need three cars.
Addition of grandkids means they use the back seat of the Cayenne for car seats on occasion.

Last edited by Onefin; 04-22-2019 at 10:31 AM..
Old 04-22-2019, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Steering wheel inverted in photo because the front wheels are turned to left.....I had turned wheels to try and get a photo of tread on front tire.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I wasn't commenting on your specific situation. Rather, I was responding to an earlier poster who was speculating why they saw so many 911s being sold by elderly women.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
I wasn't commenting on your specific situation. Rather, I was responding to an earlier poster who was speculating why they saw so many 911s being sold by elderly women.
Thanks for clearing that up....
My daughter refers to any silver 911 as grandma’s car.......my grandma drove a Plymouth......oh well.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefin View Post
Thanks for clearing that up....
My daughter refers to any silver 911 as grandma’s car.......my grandma drove a Plymouth......oh well.

I think it's humorous you think non-car guys buy cabs. That's wrong on so many levels it's funny too; but you get a pass, because you're new here.

(Here's a hint: what's the one of most desirable Porsches of all time? Think James Dean.)
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 04-22-2019, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

OP. No disrespect. I wasn’t trying to say older ladies don’t drive these cars. I was implying that I hear the same story often but “I” have never seen one.
Your mother in law sounds like a very cool lady. I wish I had people in my family who appreciated cars like her.
P.S. I think the final selling price of this car has to start with nothing less than a 5.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

OP loves his MIL. Both of them are outliers.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
OP loves his MIL. Both of them are outliers.
MIL is totally one-of-a-kinda and I’m certainly willing to help her out with the somewhat enjoyable task of selling her car.......I have no ability or desire to delve into family dynamics......she’s cool and has a cool car and has always treated me well.

She’s easier to deal with than my mother.

I’m borrowing an not returning the (read one time) first edition of “excellence was expected” that I gave her for Christmas many years ago...I just googled that **** and it’s worth bank!
Old 04-22-2019, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostami6 View Post
OP. No disrespect. I wasn’t trying to say older ladies don’t drive these cars. I was implying that I hear the same story often but “I” have never seen one.
Your mother in law sounds like a very cool lady. I wish I had people in my family who appreciated cars like her.
P.S. I think the final selling price of this car has to start with nothing less than a 5.
I’m not offended, but thank you.
She’s cool and certainly does thing her way.

If her 997 wouldn’t have been totaled a couple years ago (she was merged into and that car pushed into another on PCH at a lowish speed) she would be driving it, but I think the pedal reach is just not there for her on the 993. People shrink as they get older, I guess?
She loves cars, and loves Porsches.

She used to love when she’d pick up a 911 from service and some dickbag service advisor would give her an incredulous look when she’d pick it up....like she she couldn’t drive a manual transmission 911 because she’s an older woman.

She’s a retired attorney and certainly suffers no fools....and rarely bites her tongue.

I’m thinking “nothing less than a 5” seems within other feedback received...thanks for your input.

Last edited by Onefin; 04-22-2019 at 06:11 PM..
Old 04-22-2019, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Thank You for all the responses here and via PM, it’s been quite helpful.

I’m Probably thinking I’d list this (locally or on PP classifieds) for sale for somewhere between $57,000 and $61,000 after PPI, smog and detail and much better photos.

Thoughts on price? Fair place to start? High or low?

Rear deck lid OEM Porsche lift shocks NLA on pelican parts....any suggestions for next best thing? I’m planning on ordering replacements for the trunk and deck lid as both aren’t quite up to snuff, I’m surprised that this is NLA.
Should I look to a different vendor or try the Porsche dealer parts counter? I just figured I’d order from PP because I’ve been using this awesome forum..I honestly didn’t look anywhere else....but I did see that PP has MB parts for my sprinter 4x4 at good prices!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Seems reasonable. Stay strong on your price for 2-3 weeks, if no action, lower it $1k and repeat.

You would be well served to post on bring a trailer though. Competition does well for the sale price on cars like hers. $99 is cheap for the massive exposure you would get.

BTW, your MIL sounds like a neat lady.

David
Old 04-24-2019, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

PPI scheduled at Black Forest for May 20th, Detail and photos on May 21st.
Trying to get to it sooner.....but that seems like my best possible date.
Black Forest will replace trunk and rear deck lid shocks and we will see if there is anything else that requires attention.
Thanks to the multiple people here that recommended Black Forest for the PPI, it is appreciated and they seem like they will do a detailed job.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

x2 What David Borden said.

Perfect BAT car with a good news story.

Sounds like you have a serious buyer in the pipe which should be an easier/faster sale. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Just picked up the car from Black Forest PPI.
I had a new battery installed and also front trunk and rear deck lid shocks were installed.
A couple minor plastic bits are ordered to be replaced.

PPI came up nice with a couple things that could be addressed:
front pads and rotors due in 10,000 miles.
Could use a new bearing on spoiler.
Jack is MIA...I’ll get a new one. No clue where that could have disappeared to? I’ll double check garage.
Accordion gasket on spoiler has small tear.
Two very minor areas with a couple drops of oil est. $500 parts and labor
Cracked PS front fog light cover.
Tires show low wear but dated 2014.
All 4 wheels show evidence of curbing.

Would be around $3,000 to have all known minor issues sorted at Black Forest. I’ll leave that to buyer.

It’s at detailer now. Photos for BAT this afternoon.

Have someone interested at an agreed in writing $60,000 net to me.... but it involves consignment....but it’s a reputable dealer. Is that better than messing around with BAT?

Should I post on PP for $6x,000?

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
For $3k, I’d get all the minor issues addressed. Then it is a little/no issue car per the PPI. Gives you a better leg to stand on with the BaT crowd. $60k+ car like most have said in this thread.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Ya the BaT mob sometimes cicrlejerks over minor issues. Don't give them material to work from.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

BAT is a bit of work but you will get market value. If your looking to get over $60k make sure to get everything fixed you mentioned and get professional photos, and a video. Car will need to be pretty cherry. I'm pegging it at $55k-$60k as it sits if you list it on BAT (hopefully more They will probably want a low reserve but you will sell it quickly compared to asking top of the market and dealing with allot of internet tire kickers.

Last edited by specialtyoneinc; 05-22-2019 at 08:21 AM..
Old 05-21-2019, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
You have a better chance of maximizing your dollars by putting it on BAT. The competition is what will drive the high price, especially if you get all the little details fixed as others have suggested.

You won't get the competition element if you consign the car. Some dealers will tell you what you want to hear or what it will take to get the car, while others will be realistic with what they believe you will get. Regardless when you compare the usual consignment costs with the competition element of BAT, I think that's your best option despite it being a little more work.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: