Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
Does not work that way, you can not erase mileage. A 200,000 mile car with a rebuilt engine is still worth what a 200 mile car is., even if it has a $15,000.00 in a rebuilt engine. So it is not as good as a 50k car on BAT.

I have two 200,000 plus mile cars I tried to sell and I know the above very well from recent personal experience.
Is this more due to market perception? I am struggling to see the difference between a 100k and 200k car if both had a recent rebuild (the assumption is that the rebuild was done correctly and all reused components were within spec). From my perspective, miles matters on drivetrain components and suspension. Everything else is more time based.

Just curious what other thoughts are.

Also, as someone that is on the tail end of a rebuild on a 85 (I am now probably $8-10k underwater), I look at things a little bit different. I want an engaging car to drive in the summer. I cannot think of another option that would provide the level of satisfaction I receive from my drive unless I went significantly higher in price. When I compare the cost of registration and insurance of my newer cars, this is definitely not a bad way to go.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #241 (permalink)

It takes a nut and bolt restoration to erase mileage in the mind if the market, and even then the market is smaller
Old 05-25-2019, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #242 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Is this more due to market perception? I am struggling to see the difference between a 100k and 200k car if both had a recent rebuild (the assumption is that the rebuild was done correctly and all reused components were within spec). From my perspective, miles matters on drivetrain components and suspension. Everything else is more time based.

Also, as someone that is on the tail end of a rebuild on a 85 (I am now probably $8-10k underwater), I look at things a little bit different. I want an engaging car to drive in the summer. I cannot think of another option that would provide the level of satisfaction I receive from my drive unless I went significantly higher in price. When I compare the cost of registration and insurance of my newer cars, this is definitely not a bad way to go.
If you’re struggling to comprehend that the 100k mile car is worth more than the 200k mile car, just ask yourself which one you’d rather buy if all things were exactly the same on both cars, even down to the price. Which one would you choose? You should point to the 100k mile car automatically in that scenario. Now do you see it? Hopefully that helps.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #243 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post

You sort of answered your own question.

A correct rebuild is the big if, both in workmanship and in material. Second, any significant miles put on a rebuild matter. Hot rodded and back (out) dated engine tech, as is common in many overhauls, do not help either.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #244 (permalink)
gearhead

I live in the Motorsports world where we time everything, including the chassis. You can replace the whole suspension and every bushing and bolt and a 100k chassis is still going to be tighter than a 200k chassis. Unless you do a bare metal respray with seam welding the 200k car will
Always drive “softer”.

2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-25-2019, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #245 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: