Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Air cooled prices trending down

https://www.thedrive.com/news/27908/is-the-air-cooled-porsche-911-market-cooling
Old 05-10-2019, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
For the last 3-5 years everything's been in a bubble. Housing, stocks, bonds, classic cars. Name an asset, I'll show you a bubble. At some point it will all collapse. Question is, will it happen tomorrow, 6 months from , 12 months? Who knows. As the old saying goes, a market can be irrational longer than you can stay solvent.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!! Is anybody listening? The stock market "plummeted" .02%!!!
Old 05-10-2019, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Well if the market value is going down - then it doesn't matter if I put on a few extra miles on her...

Old 05-10-2019, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Life View Post
Well if the market value is going down - then it doesn't matter if I put on a few extra miles on her...

Out today putting a few miles on the SC, long story short a guy offered 50k cash out of the blue. If this is trending down

Sold 2011 997.2 C2S, 1988 944, 2016 GT4, 2013 981, 1980 911 SC 3.2, 77 911S Targa, 1970 914GT 3.2, 1973 914, 71 914, 76 912E, 89 944 S2, 1980 924 Turbo, 98 987, 70 911T, 72 914, 75 914, 73 914, 87 944, 74 911, 72 914
Old 05-11-2019, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

can't wait for it to crash, been wanting a Pre A for a while
Old 05-11-2019, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Functionista

Let it plummet, parts and some services will go down as well.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbridge 74 View Post
Let it plummet, parts and some services will go down as well.
Not in the current manufacturing and trade environment.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-11-2019, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Down would be good. I keep thinking I want a 930.
Of course I would have to sell the 996TT to help pay for it, but I do keep *thinking* I want one.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

One could only hope, the 95% of us who love driving these cars and don't look at them as investments would prefer it I believe.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usera View Post
One could only hope, the 95% of us who love driving these cars and don't look at them as investments would prefer it I believe.
Amen Brother! I long for the days when my SC was worth +/- $20!

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Last time I checked Porsche wasn't making any more air cooled cars. As long as demand exceeds supply for nice cars prices will continue to increase. Who knows at what rate.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfawsitt View Post
Last time I checked Porsche wasn't making any more air cooled cars. As long as demand exceeds supply for nice cars prices will continue to increase. Who knows at what rate.
Then demand must be dissipating, because prices have been falling. With the steep and quick escalation in values, itís no wonder theyíre coming back down.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

From the BAT auction results and even the asking prices of cars on here and RL, it certainly doesn't seem to have gone down at all?

G50 Carreras are regularly mid 50s on BAT now while 964s are 60+. Even nice SCs are mid to high 40s. 930s and 993s have gone down but they seem to be the only victims.

Am I missing something here? Obviously the garbage cars are languishing but I certainly don't see cars in the enthusiast realm having gone down at all this year. The quarter mil+ market notwithstanding - isn't something I follow.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
From the BAT auction results and even the asking prices of cars on here and RL, it certainly doesn't seem to have gone down at all?

G50 Carreras are regularly mid 50s on BAT now while 964s are 60+. Even nice SCs are mid to high 40s. 930s and 993s have gone down but they seem to be the only victims.

Am I missing something here? Obviously the garbage cars are languishing but I certainly don't see cars in the enthusiast realm having gone down at all this year. The quarter mil+ market notwithstanding - isn't something I follow.
I am actively shopping for one. There are two types of sellers out there that I have encountered. One is the "my car's twin sold on BAT for $62K so I'll ask $67K" seller. The other is "I bought this car for $16K, 15 years ago, if I get $45K for it, I'll be happy". It's basically two separate markets for the same product.

And I'm talking about non-junk stuff. Not garage queens either, the 50% in the middle stuff.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I closely monitor the 930 market, which is what I’m referring to, and that’s down quite a bit from its highs. Turds with lots of miles on them were pulling six figures a couple two to three years ago, and now it takes a very special 930 to even break six figures. I’d say some were so ill-bought that they’ve lost probably half their value if sold today. So to some that rushed into this hobby at the very top of the frothy market, they got burned. Some of these buys have depreciated much faster than a new car (at the same price point) driven off the dealer’s lot. Hopefully they've at least have gotten some enjoyment out of it while it’s been bleeding money.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
I closely monitor the 930 market, which is what I’m referring to, and that’s down quite a bit from its highs. Turds with lots of miles on them were pulling six figures a couple two to three years ago, and now it takes a very special 930 to even break six figures. I’d say some were so ill-bought that they’ve lost probably half their value if sold today. So to some that rushed into this hobby at the very top of the frothy market, they got burned. Some of these buys have depreciated much faster than a new car (at the same price point) driven off the dealer’s lot. Hopefully they've at least have gotten some enjoyment out of it while it’s been bleeding money.
I think the current 930 market is an isolated market all on its own and their fall from grace was just because they went ape **** approx 2 years ago. The other market that went ape **** just after 930s were 964s but it wasn’t to the same high dollar so I don’t think they will drop as significantly I just don’t think they will continue to appreciate any time soon.

Last edited by nathanbs; 05-12-2019 at 09:13 AM..
Old 05-12-2019, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
I think the current 930 market is an isolated market all on its own and their fall from grace was just because they went ape **** approx 2 years ago. The other market that went ape **** just after 930s were 964s but it wasnít to the same high dollar so I donít think they will drop as significantly I just donít think they will continue to appreciate any time soon.
Yep. Many didnít get the memo that the 930 was in production for 15 years, basically triple the amount of time the 964 and 993 turbos were. Thatís not to say that rare models within the 930 havenít held up well while their more common brethren have fallen, because I think many of them have.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Anybody who isn't noticing a flatness/drop to the market is ignoring the obvious. Yes, you can still find cars that bring record money, but they aren't your average car, the ones that 95% of the people buy, sell, and own.
The market is retracting, so the worst get hit first. Anyone try selling a 912 lately? Or a 911 Targa?

This was bound to happen, the white hot market of 3 years ago was unsustainable. The only people who will be hurt now are the ones who rode through the hot market wanting 10% over retail, or the ones that bought in the last 6 months and didn't get the memo in time. The rest of us can just hold the cars we personally own and adjust what we buy and sell for on the business side. Buying is hard right now, that's the problem with being 2 steps ahead of the market, you get the memo before most people, so they are still telling you what they think their car is worth, using out-dated info.

Anyone who has been in this business more than 10 years has seen the cycle before and will adjust. The ones that got into it in the white hot market will have to go back to their old jobs. It's like all the bartenders and house painters who got into Real Estate in Vegas during the housing boom, anyone can make money in a hot market, just by showing up. But to make it in the long term in the Porsche business you have to ride the waves as they come and hopefully spent the money they made on diversifying.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 05-12-2019, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
It's like all the bartenders and house painters who got into Real Estate in Vegas during the housing boom, anyone can make money in a hot market, just by showing up. But to make it in the long term in the Porsche business you have to ride the waves as they come and hopefully spent the money they made on diversifying.
Like real estate, all 911s are "local" as in the entire market is not uniform. what got killed in Las Vegas were the extremes. The really high end and the really low end. $1M peak homes were going for $500K and $200K peak were going for $50K at the bottom of the crash. But $300k peak homes were still going for $235K. That's because the low end was all speculative buying. The specuvestors vanished at the slightest sign of a downturn. And in a crash, fewer people can afford the high end or want to part with some much money on a luxury good that is depreciating. But the middle, is still valuable and there is still a demand for it, even in economic downturns.

I think the same will happen with 911s. The junk will fall of a cliff since nobody will want that stuff at any price once flippers go away. The 6 figure plus cars will come back to reality as even people with money will realize how dumb it is to spend that much. And then the middle will take a small hit but not earth shattering. Today's $50K 911 will be $40k in a year or two, that type of thing.

It's how bubbles always correct themselves.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: