Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Closed Thread

Garage
356RS sold me an exhaust and didn't tell me it was repaired

I'm not sure how to feel. He sold me a used stainless exhaust system, complete with muffler, for $1700. Now, this is a good deal compared to new. His photos were small, but it looked to be in good condition.

I received it a month ago, started polishing the primaries, then got to the other side and noticed that 2 of the 3 primaries ahve been cut out and rewelded in a new section. Dude obviously hit something.

I was kind of pissed, and sent him a message saying "Dude, you could have told me you hit something and these are repaired".

I think they're usable, but I would have offered less. Anybody else dealt with this guy? Pretty bummed that he didn't disclose this. I don't have much disposable income; my student loans are almost $600/month, the rest goes to the mortgage, so when I do buy parts for my 911 it's a very rare occurrence.

What say you?

Last edited by ADDvanced; 05-15-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Old 05-15-2019, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post

I am doing pretty well. I'm under 40. Own 5 cars. A 911. A house. A boat.
And then

Quote:
I don't have much money; my student loans are almost $600/month,
So you're really well off but also poor and stuff.

Last edited by Vaive; 05-15-2019 at 07:13 AM..
Old 05-15-2019, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #2 (permalink)

Bummer.. no doubt this falls under "teachable" moment about buyer beware, ask questions, ask for better pics etc. and to think, you could have paid off 2 months of student loans vs buying a muffler.. there's got to be a lesson there too.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 05-15-2019, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #3 (permalink)

I think this falls into this sort of discussion:

-You didn't tell me

-You didn't ask
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 05-15-2019, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #4 (permalink)
its seller's responsibility to disclose damages. That is unless he doesn't mind being known as a douche bag
Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
And then

So you're really well off but also poor and stuff.
No, I am doing okay. All my money goes to a mortgage and student loans. I don't have much disposable income. My boat I built from a $1000 project that was left outside for 15 years. My 911 I bought non running and having sat for 20 years. Pretty much most of the **** I buy is in horrible condition and then I fix it. My truck was $1800. My daily a 265k mile honda, 20 years old.

Anyway, you're derailing the conversation.

Last edited by ADDvanced; 05-15-2019 at 08:19 AM..
Old 05-15-2019, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I think this falls into this sort of discussion:

-You didn't tell me

-You didn't ask
Idk, if I was selling a car that had been T-boned, I would tell people it's been repaired. To sell something without disclosing major repairs is a douche bag move, imho.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
and to think, you could have paid off 2 months of student loans vs buying a muffler.. there's got to be a lesson there too.
**** off. I've been saving the money I've been making on the side by selling crap on ebay to purchase an exhaust, and it's taken me over a year to save up this much to finally pull the trigger.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #8 (permalink)
gearhead

Got the pictures? I don't see an ad from this seller.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-15-2019, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #9 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

I would be royally pissed if I bought anything that had been repaired, regardless of purchase price, and the repairs were not even mentioned by the seller. That's a total scumbag move, too me.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Got the pictures? I don't see an ad from this seller.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
No, I am doing okay. All my money goes to a mortgage and student loans. I don't have much disposable income. My boat I built from a $1000 project that was left outside for 15 years. My 911 I bought non running and having sat for 20 years. Pretty much most of the **** I buy is in horrible condition and then I fix it. My truck was $1800. My daily a 265k mile honda, 20 years old.

Anyway, you're derailing the conversation.
You boasted about owning 5 cars and a boat. Then you turn around and whine about being ripped off for $500, somehow implying you won't make your next student loan payment. Don't get mad at me for pointing out the inconsistencies in your stories.

Nobody likes to get ripped off. However, if your financial situation is dire enough that $500 is make it or break it, perhaps owning old Porsches isn't in your best interest. Or maybe downsize from 5 cars to, I dunno, 2 cars?
Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #12 (permalink)

Valve, dude, who cares?
Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
You boasted about owning 5 cars and a boat. Then you turn around and whine about being ripped off for $500, somehow implying you won't make your next student loan payment. Don't get mad at me for pointing out the inconsistencies in your stories.

Nobody likes to get ripped off. However, if your financial situation is dire enough that $500 is make it or break it, perhaps owning old Porsches isn't in your best interest. Or maybe downsize from 5 cars to, I dunno, 2 cars?
I'm going to respond to you one more time, then I'm blocking you.

1. I was stating that I am doing better than most of my peers. I was not boasting. I was stating, in a thread about the economy, that I empathize with the people who are worse off than myself. I care about others less fortunate, EVEN IF I am doing slightly above average than my peers.
2. I own 5 cars. Most of which are cheap. I could own 5 cars, or I could own a fairly new econobox like a civic. I would rather diversify and own multiple CHEAP vehicles.
3. I am going to make my next payment. I never said otherwise. I budget for upgrades and this exhaust was one of them. It didn't cost me more than I was willing to spend, which is what I have been saving for for over a a year. It cost me about what I was expecting. What is unexpected is the damage/repair that was not disclosed.
4. I'm getting pissed at you because the **** you are bringing up has NOTHING WHATSO****ING EVER TO DO WITH THE SUBJECT OF THIS POST.
5. You are derailing my topic and I'm reporting you for being a troll. Now **** off.

Last edited by ADDvanced; 05-15-2019 at 08:58 AM..
Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Idk, if I was selling a car that had been T-boned, I would tell people it's been repaired. To sell something without disclosing major repairs is a douche bag move, imho.
As said earlier, its a learning opportunity.

The parts you bought form the seller are not like some art collection.

The seller may have felt that they are perfectly functional. They do the job.
You on the other hand not only assumed that they work (douchbag move on the part of the seller if they didn't), but also assumed what, that there was not a scratch on them?

Since there is a huge grey area between not scratched and not working, how far does one disclose to not disclose intentionally or otherwise.

Perhaps you and the seller have different value system.

Maybe he thought he was being a good seller giving you the opportunity to buy a hard to find part at a reasonable price OR Maybe he was trying to rip you off? Who knows.

The biggest problem I am reading is that you made a mistake, trusting the seller and you were of like minds. But, you can learn form this and realize that "no fair" is not how it works in the real world, and that we can evaluate risks and mitigate many of them all on our own through our own actions.

Having said all of this, I feel for you that you spent good money and that your expectations weren't met. I really do, but, now you are a little bit older and a little bit wiser and a little less vulnerable than you were before this experience. It pays to ask questions and confirm expectations

I hope the parts work out for you. That would be a nice consolation at least
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #15 (permalink)
gearhead

Are those Marc's pictures or yours?

I have a hard time being sympathetic towards someone who names names right off the bat. You don't mention what his response has been at all. You just go straight for the kill. If I was him, and was previously considering working with you on it, I would tell you to piss off on the principal of the thing. When people air their dirty laundry they lose a lot of respect from me. There's times when someone is a crook and needs to be outed. And then there are times like this where things should stay anonymous, IMO.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Are those Marc's pictures or yours?

I have a hard time being sympathetic towards someone who names names right off the bat. You don't mention what his response has been at all. You just go straight for the kill. If I was him, and was previously considering working with you on it, I would tell you to piss off on the principal of the thing. When people air their dirty laundry they lose a lot of respect from me. There's times when someone is a crook and needs to be outed. And then there are times like this where things should stay anonymous, IMO.
Mine. As I said, I started polishing them to restore them and noticed the repair.

I messaged him on 4/18, so almost a month ago, and he hasn't responded. I was hoping he would respond, but it seems like he's ignoring me now.

At this point I don't expect him to do anything, but I'd like to warn others who buy from him, since he's not responding about this issue at all.

Last edited by ADDvanced; 05-15-2019 at 09:25 AM..
Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #17 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
He had plenty of time to respond. I'm on your side Addvanced. That's a pretty significant repair and should have been disclosed. I've had this happen a few times with used P-car parts. Typically I'll relist the item with full disclosure at a loss if I don't want it. Take the high road and lesson learned.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #18 (permalink)

Would he have charged more if they were in new in box condition?
who knows?
Is this a good deal?
who knows.

It used to be that when people bought anything they understood used was used (lots can happen in the lifetime of used) but still functional

And if they had concerns they asked, or inspected or paid for an inspection.

now, people assume if you are selling something it must be perfect, not simply that it works.

and stainless exhaust as an example was just a solution to rusting out prematurely, but now it is seen as jewelry
Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #19 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Mine. As I said, I started polishing them to restore them and noticed the repair.

I messaged him on 4/18, so almost a month ago, and he hasn't responded. I was hoping he would respond, but it seems like he's ignoring me now.

At this point I don't expect him to do anything, but I'd like to warn others who buy from him, since he's not responding about this issue at all.
I wanted to see his pictures. It helps determine if he was deliberately hiding the damage. I have no doubt they are damaged. I'm just not going to condemn the guy without seeing how he presented them, and since there's no FS thread we don't have anything other than a he said he said scenario.

I miss PMs all the time. If it was just one, give him another ping. A month is a long time, but if it slipped his mind it doesn't matter if it's a day or a year. A reminder is warranted.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #20 (permalink)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: