Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Ordering tires

I've scheduled a light maintenance for one of my cars at a high end, reputable shop. Is it poor form to order a set of tires and have them delivered there to be mounted and balanced?

I'm giving them my tune up business. I just don't want their markup on my tires. I'm particularly concerned about a local neighborhood tire shop scratching my Fuchs.

TIA

Nick
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 06-02-2019, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
gearhead

Ask the shop directly. Everyone is different.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 06-02-2019, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Like Matt said it could only be poor form if you don’t ask first and just assume
Old 06-02-2019, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
with tire rack becoming such a share of the market these days a couple shops im aware of suggest you ship the TR tires directly to them for mount and balance.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

NastyNick, agreed with the three chumps (or is that chimps?!?!) above - it is only bad form if you don't assk first and just ASSume.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

Tire rack and others have destroyed the margin on tires. The shop will make more on mounting and balance than they would selling you tires at a competitive price.

I would go to them and show them the price from Tire Rack. If they can sell the the same tires for the same price and still make money then buy them from the shop.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I was thinkin ... if you bought a set of used, but like new tires, well they couldn't mark them up could they? That's just me though. At least you wouldn't have to axe them.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
Tire rack and others have destroyed the margin on tires. The shop will make more on mounting and balance than they would selling you tires at a competitive price.

I would go to them and show them the price from Tire Rack. If they can sell the the same tires for the same price and still make money then buy them from the shop.
My favorite shop charges "Tire Rack plus 5%," but also will receive direct shipment if you buy tires. I've noted that their mount & balance prices are somewhat higher than they were pre TR, however.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 06-03-2019, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Our shop only has a 10% margin on TR tire purchases. But we appreciate the 10%. We also will take tires drop shipped to us but obviously prefer making something on parts Vs not making anything. We do not install customer provided parts for example (for several reasons) ~ that bay is much better served working on a vehicle that brings in margin on both parts & labor Vs a vehicle that is only providing a labor margin. Its just simple economics and any popular shop would want to follow that model.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
gearhead

Also something to consider is disposal. You pay a disposal fee at Discount Tire and other places. Are you taking your old tires home with you? If not, don't be surprised when your shop wants to get paid for dealing with them.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 06-03-2019, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Also something to consider is disposal. You pay a disposal fee at Discount Tire and other places. Are you taking your old tires home with you? If not, don't be surprised when your shop wants to get paid for dealing with them.
Now this is a very valid point! Be sure to axe them about that. Where you are, one might possibly get screwed in a NY minute!
Old 06-03-2019, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

most shops will not install tires that they dont sell now..
almost all do this except for the ol hick type of shops
Old 06-04-2019, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nick- I did this very thing twice at our local P-car shop. I just gave them a heads up. Didnít seem to be an issue. Iím pretty sure there was a line item charge for disposal as Matt mentions.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Please define "ol hick type".
Old 06-04-2019, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 991gts6s View Post
most shops will not install tires that they dont sell now..
almost all do this except for the ol hick type of shops
This is far from true. I can name you at least 3 high end, independent P shops in Metro NY that are far from "ol hick type shops" that will allow you to ship tires to them for install.

I was asking about one in particular I have never dealt with, so I thought I'd ask the collective.

Thank you all for your replies.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 06-04-2019, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Yea, not true on the hick shops.
There is a very reputable and sought after independent Ferrari and Porsche repair shop here that will install tires you bring them. And he is a tire rack installer just to provide the service to his customers. Most of the customers are like me and don't trust the chain stores with a 20 something kid changing tires on obsolete wheels.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
If the shop has a wholesale/shop account they can buy the tires cheaper than online posted price.
I have my shop order them at their price but I pay the shop the regular TireRack online price.
That way they can make a buck and I pay the same as if I would have ordered them online myself.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Our shop only has a 10% margin on TR tire purchases. But we appreciate the 10%. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdu968 View Post
If the shop has a wholesale/shop account they can buy the tires cheaper than online posted price.
I have my shop order them at their price but I pay the shop the regular TireRack online price.
That way they can make a buck and I pay the same as if I would have ordered them online myself.
Yes... That is the aforementioned 10% that I had spoke of. Customer gets the on-line price, we get the minimal margin offered.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: