Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Amateur
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,165
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
With regards to the 83 SC coupe that sold last week for $37 plus fees....

Jul 11 at 1:39 PM
gandyman 10
I don’t know if he’s a dealer, but I do know he’s a dbag. He started by texting pictures of his yellow McLaren. Then got slippery when I asked him the location of the car so I could get a PPI before I wired him the money. Now has ghosted completely. NO SALE. Silly me for thiking BAT vetted sellers at all.
I'll walk too if a buyer wants a PPI after the "sale".
__________________
I don't need that.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #181 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 172
Garage
JMS935
Sorry, but you are incorrect on this subject. There is a process to an auction and an after sale inspection is not one of them. It doesn't matter if it's a charity auction for a trip to Timbuktu, a distressed property, a car, or a piece of fine art, the rules remain the same. You raise your paddle, you bought it. If you don't like the process, don't buy at an auction. Once again, you have an entire week to vet on BAT, if that's not enough time then you aren't trying hard enough, or don't want it that badly.
A lot of people like to complain about sellers, however buyers can be just as bad. If after sale "PPI"s were the norm at an auction, a good percentage of deals would never go down, and not because there is anything wrong with the car. It would be a super easy "out" for a buyer who perhaps had not told his wife that he was spending the kids education fund or saw what he thought was a better deal on a car the next day. When a car sells at auction and the deal doesn't end up finished, that car is tainted, people wonder what happened, it has a real effect.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #182 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 16,501
BaT is losing it's luster because influencers are falling out of favor...

https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/7xgyvx/influencers-are-losing-their-influence
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #183 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 1,511
And network tv ads have more diversity. What’s old will become new again. Just wait...

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/337744/network-tv-delivers-most-diversity-in-ads.html?edition=
Old 07-11-2019, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #184 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbfoto View Post
JMS935
Sorry, but you are incorrect on this subject. There is a process to an auction and an after sale inspection is not one of them. It doesn't matter if it's a charity auction for a trip to Timbuktu, a distressed property, a car, or a piece of fine art, the rules remain the same. You raise your paddle, you bought it. If you don't like the process, don't buy at an auction. Once again, you have an entire week to vet on BAT, if that's not enough time then you aren't trying hard enough, or don't want it that badly.
A lot of people like to complain about sellers, however buyers can be just as bad. If after sale "PPI"s were the norm at an auction, a good percentage of deals would never go down, and not because there is anything wrong with the car. It would be a super easy "out" for a buyer who perhaps had not told his wife that he was spending the kids education fund or saw what he thought was a better deal on a car the next day. When a car sells at auction and the deal doesn't end up finished, that car is tainted, people wonder what happened, it has a real effect.
Good post.

Moral of the story is that there is both bad sellers and buyers out there. Stay away from auctions if you want a PPI and renegotiate after a sale.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #185 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: MD
Posts: 197
Anyone following the Dino 246 that appears to have a welded VIN or be a parts collection car? Seller has been MIA since last week.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #186 (permalink)
 
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,263
The location and the house in the background of that DINO looks very familiar. Reminds me of a seller who posts his Porsche's for sale on Pelican I just cant recall the seller.


I read through some of the comments but not being a Ferrari expert I have no idea which camp to believe. If I was a bidder, I surely wouldn't be after reading all of that.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 07-11-2019, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #187 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH77 View Post
Anyone following the Dino 246 that appears to have a welded VIN or be a parts collection car? Seller has been MIA since last week.
Interesting auction. The Ferrari world is nuts to me.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #188 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: MD
Posts: 197
Pretty interesting read if you have an hour.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-ferrari-dino-246gt/
Old 07-11-2019, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #189 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
The location and the house in the background of that DINO looks very familiar. Reminds me of a seller who posts his Porsche's for sale on Pelican I just cant recall the seller.


I read through some of the comments but not being a Ferrari expert I have no idea which camp to believe. If I was a bidder, I surely wouldn't be after reading all of that.
Check out the thread on Ferrari Chat if it interests you.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/another-dino-on-bat.602937/

I believe the experts questioning the legitimacy of this example.

Also check out the VIN comparison side by side they provided on the auction.



Old 07-11-2019, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #190 (permalink)
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Check out the thread on Ferrari Chat if it interests you.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/another-dino-on-bat.602937/

I believe the experts questioning the legitimacy of this example.

Also check out the VIN comparison side by side they provided on the auction.



Unless I’m missing something VIN looks legit
Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #191 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 1,648
I can see the depth of the engravings are off and the weld is exceptionally messy. I don't know much about Dino's but pretty much every expert on BAT and Ferrari Chat spotted it instantly and called it out. Seems to be allot of other things wrong with that car that the seller had no idea about. Having no maintenance / restoration history doesn't help either.

Here's some other examples to compare.



Old 07-11-2019, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #192 (permalink)
 
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
I can see the depth of the engravings are off and the weld is exceptionally messy. I don't know much about Dino's but pretty much every expert on BAT and Ferrari Chat spotted it instantly and called it out. Seems to be allot of other things wrong with that car that the seller had no idea about. Having no maintenance / restoration history doesn't help either.

Here's some other examples to compare.



Still looks fine to me. There are other examples posted and it’s well within the parameters from what I can see. Other “experts” with ferrari in their user name so they must be even truer experts say it looks normal
Old 07-11-2019, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #193 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Still looks fine to me. There are other examples posted and it’s well within the parameters from what I can see. Other “experts” with ferrari in their user name so they must be even truer experts say it looks normal
The fact that Massini thinks it looks off is a HUGE red flag.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #194 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Still looks fine to me. There are other examples posted and it’s well within the parameters from what I can see. Other “experts” with ferrari in their user name so they must be even truer experts say it looks normal
Obviously you haven't read through the threads. I can't help you on this one.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #195 (permalink)
Registered User
I read enough to see there are two sides that are seeing it opposite. The natural lighting without flash on all of the examples versus the vehicle being sold using artificial lighting on his photos are playing a giant factor. I don't need to read all of their opinions as I have my own eyes and brain and without influence from others it looks fine to me. I would consider myself pretty hypercritical with details as that's all I do everyday with restoration and collision repair. I am open to the fact that I am missing something but currently I just don't see what half the rooms issue is. I guess I am just used to seeing horrific examples of VIN tampering that if this is indeed tampered with they honestly did a decent job. If you stop reading and just study all of the different examples you will get confused on which one is the one in question fairly quickly

Last edited by nathanbs; 07-12-2019 at 09:22 AM..
Old 07-12-2019, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #196 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Rods Insta post yesterday probably helped a little.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #198 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,263
What's really funny and telling about BAT was something that happened on the 1990 C4 Cab that didn't sell yesterday.

There was a discussion about changing the timing belt going on and the seller said that Victory Motors in Houston just did a full service and changed all the belts therefore he said he assumed they did the timing belt too. I posted there was no timing belt and I didn't even get the 5 clicks to make it turn yellow. Yet someone makes a fluff comment about something totally wrong the and the peanut gallery gives em 10 clicks.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 07-12-2019, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #199 (permalink)
Registered User
 
GG Allin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ORD
Posts: 2,458
Garage
$280k for a '72 - What does it got a G50 or something?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-911s-5/
__________________
1988 911
2016 4Runner
1995 M3 - LS2 - Very Fast, For Sale
1991 M5 - Gone
1993 RS America - Gone
Old 07-12-2019, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #200 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:52 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.