Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 512
Thereís a definite BAT infatuation with low mileage cars. What I canít understand is the blind faith in speedometers with rarely any seller effort to show if it is original to the car by showing the VDO date stamp (the former Pete Rose neglected '77 Turbo Carrera was an exception). There also seems to be a focus on low mileage cars without consideration to production date. For example, to the BAT crowd, a low-mileage 996 with 10K miles seems equal in ďrarityĒ to a 10K miles 1970s 911. Statistically, older cars with low miles are much rarer and harder to find but it seems to elude the peanut gallery.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
If you donít listen to the whispers or more accurately the screams from the rooftops then you are a lost cause. This is why I like BAT. If he would have only listened to what some were saying then catastrophe averted
But that works much better with a proper PPI, one where you can actually pay for it after having the car already under contract if shopping using more conventional methods of buying a used car. Thatís why itís a suckers game for buyerís as far as Iím concerned. Youíve already paid 5% commission before you even get a chance to view the car in most instances. And even if you get lucky and the BaT crowd steered you in the right direction, youíre still listening to complete strangers for advice on making a major purchase. Thatís not usually a good recipe for making a sound purchase.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
But that works much better with a proper PPI, one where you can actually pay for it after having the car already under contract if shopping using more conventional methods of buying a used car. Thatís why itís a suckers game for buyerís as far as Iím concerned. Youíve already paid 5% commission before you even get a chance to view the car in most instances. And even if you get lucky and the BaT crowd steered you in the right direction, youíre still listening to complete strangers for advice on making a major purchase. Thatís not usually a good recipe for making a sound purchase.
Back full circle to other live auctions and eBay(unless unsold). Canít do PPIs in those cases either
Old 07-03-2019, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Back full circle to other live auctions and eBay(unless unsold). Canít do PPIs in those cases either
Sure you can. Iíve bought almost my entire collection off of eBay, and never once did I ever pay for a car prior to having it inspected. Refundable deposit only. Itís pretty simple for me when spending a ton of money on a used car...

A very thorough PPI is a must, but before Iíll spend the money on a PPI I need to have the car under contract first so that I know Iím not wasting my time and money. If the car passes with flying colors, then I close the deal. If the PPI reveals issues not disclosed by the seller, then I use that report to negotiate the purchase price lower, and then I close the deal. I prefer doing all of this without the entire internet as my audience, thatís how to control the situation as a buyer and get good deals. Thatís why itís very unlikely youíll ever see me buy a car on BaT. If you tried to skew a used car sales process any further in favor of the seller at the direct expense of the buyer beyond the current set up at BaT, it probably couldnít be done.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
hda hda is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
If you donít listen to the whispers or more accurately the screams from the rooftops then you are a lost cause. This is why I like BAT. If he would have only listened to what some were saying then catastrophe averted
I think for some itís hard to admit that they were wrong. And that this low mileage car is not what it is. Despite them believing it. Despite folks with thousands of likes saying itís amazing.

Personal experience: I bought a rare motorcycle for a good price. A very good price. It had 2 small dings from transportation on its frame. The rest was immaculate.

About 50% under market price, but those dings...yet everyone saying what a fantastic deal. Internet crowd pushing it. Many ďoh if I only had the cash! I just bought a dildo for my aunt, but if I didnít....!!!!Ē

In the end I passed, but the ďsocial media peer pressure ď was strong!
Old 07-03-2019, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Sure you can. Iíve bought almost my entire collection off of eBay, and never once did I ever pay for a car prior to having it inspected. Refundable deposit only. Itís pretty simple for me when spending a ton of money on a used car...

A very thorough PPI is a must, but before Iíll spend the money on a PPI I need to have the car under contract first so that I know Iím not wasting my time and money. If the car passes with flying colors, then I close the deal. If the PPI reveals issues not disclosed by the seller, then I use that report to negotiate the purchase price lower, and then I close the deal. I prefer doing all of this without the entire internet as my audience, thatís how to control the situation as a buyer and get good deals. Thatís why itís very unlikely youíll ever see me buy a car on BaT. If you tried to skew a used car sales process any further in favor of the seller at the direct expense of the buyer beyond the current set up at BaT, it probably couldnít be done.
Man you know I love you but you are killing me with this tactic. You win the car on eBay but before you pay you do a PPI and then renegotiate? Iím hoping and assuming that you only ask for a discount for something that wasnít disclosed or forthright through the auction?
Old 07-03-2019, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Man you know I love you but you are killing me with this tactic. You win the car on eBay but before you pay you do a PPI and then renegotiate? Iím hoping and assuming that you only ask for a discount for something that wasnít disclosed or forthright through the auction?
Those auctions arenít binding. A simple disclosure of your intentions are all that is needed. Most sellers are fine with it, and even expect it. If a seller refuses to grant me a PPI, then I walk, as thatís a major red flag right there all by itself. I recently sold a car as well on eBay, and I granted the buyer the same. He paid me a deposit at close of the auction, I even urged he get the car inspected which he wasnít planning on doing, and then closed the deal once it passed inspection. This isnít doing anything out of the ordinary, these are normal steps taken when doing proper due diligence for buying a used car. Paying a third party 5% commission before you even get put into direct contact with the seller, now thatís whatís not the norm. Listening to total strangers on the internet simply because theyíve got 6k thumbs up so they must know what theyíre talking about even though they havenít seen the car either, thatís not the norm either. And yes, I renegotiate if the PPI report discloses something that the seller did not, thatís normal as well. Iíve never had a seller take issue with it. This process only seems off to those caught up in the BaT craze. That process is just BaT sh|t crazy to me. Iíd have no problem liquidating my collection under those terms, but Iíve never consider amassing it under those terms.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo
 
Rawknees'Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: North TexASS
Posts: 12,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by hda View Post
I . . . Internet crowd pushing it. Many ďoh if I only had the cash! I just bought a dildo for my aunt, but if I didnít....!!!!Ē

. . .
Ha ha - nice!
Old 07-03-2019, 11:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Those auctions aren’t binding. A simple disclosure of your intentions are all that is needed. Most sellers are fine with it, and even expect it. If a seller refuses to grant me a PPI, then I walk, as that’s a major red flag right there all by itself. I recently sold a car as well on eBay, and I granted the buyer the same. He paid me a deposit at close of the auction, I even urged he get the car inspected which he wasn’t planning on doing, and then closed the deal once it passed inspection. This isn’t doing anything out of the ordinary, these are normal steps taken when doing proper due diligence for buying a used car. Paying a third party 5% commission before you even get put into direct contact with the seller, now that’s what’s not the norm. Listening to total strangers on the internet simply because they’ve got 6k thumbs up so they must know what they’re talking about even though they haven’t seen the car either, that’s not the norm either. And yes, I renegotiate if the PPI report discloses something that the seller did not, that’s normal as well. I’ve never had a seller take issue with it. This process only seems off to those caught up in the BaT craze. That process is just BaT sh|t crazy to me. I’d have no problem liquidating my collection under those terms, but I’ve never consider amassing it under those terms.
Fair enough I just would be pissed if a buyer didn’t ask and we didn’t agree to it prior to bidding
Old 07-04-2019, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,474
I used to sell cars on eBay. I stopped because of the BS.

Winners of the auctions would give me stuff like this....

"Okay I'll be by in a week or two to check it out"
"Okay my bid consisted of cash plus my car and my car is worth $X"
"Okay let me have it looked at and we can work out the final price"


Sorry.... none of those fly and I would not expect any of them to work on a car I bought off of eBay.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 07-04-2019, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 17,470
My new hero.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/03/ice-cream-los-angeles-instagram-influencers?fbclid=IwAR29j3mzei29aJUwDef47o4L02U1s 5weu5Y73V3Gharr6kWGZ4Zr92QinSU
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
2004 40 Jahre
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-04-2019, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,474
I would pay these guys double just to say I support anti-influencers.

Those faux celebrities are the underbelly of society, leeching free "stuff".
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 07-04-2019, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)
Amateur
 
pmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,051
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
Those faux celebrities are the underbelly of society ...
Only in LA

__________________
I don't need that.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 17,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Only in LA

Except he doesn’t really fit the mold. He made his millions on apparel and film production long become social media was a thing. He used his substantial resources to create the Urban Outlaw brand and make it pay.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDQrMoksJ4Q
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
2004 40 Jahre
2008 Cayman S Mule

Last edited by Matt Monson; 07-04-2019 at 11:24 AM..
Old 07-04-2019, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Only in LA

not quite the same pmax. He perhaps rose rapidly to "stardom" due to social media and the internet but he still has a core product/label/persona what ever you want to call it that would still be marketable and be able to be monetized. Social media influencers are solely trying to profit off of their posts on social media as in you pay me to post a picture of you and or your product. Not once has Magnus reached out to me and offered to promote my business for a fee.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 17,470
Nathan,
He promotes my business for free. He promotes it because he uses my parts and believes in them. He pays wholesale for his stuff like any shop would. In fact, it was he and Alex Ross at Sharkwerks who took my stuff to Leno and got it talked about in his garage.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
2004 40 Jahre
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-04-2019, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Nathan,
He promotes my business for free. He promotes it because he uses my parts and believes in them. He pays wholesale for his stuff like any shop would. In fact, it was he and Alex Ross at Sharkwerks who took my stuff to Leno and got it talked about in his garage.
even better
Old 07-04-2019, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
Registered User
 
speednme1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,799
As long as you have givers, you will have takers. How many celebrities in Hollywood get free swag?...plenty. YouTube, Instagram..etc..etc are the new Hollywood. So who are the real culprits..the givers or the takers? Personally the whole system stinks but it seems plenty of people are filling up their pockets in a very good way...so I guess it's working for some.
__________________
Rey....77 930 "the Mistress"
Old 07-04-2019, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)
 
War Vet
 
matt930s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 3,419
Garage
Iím just not a fan of those wheels...reminds me of the daisy tub stickers from when I was a kid.
__________________
Dr. MattR AKA Dr. Phatt
Old 07-04-2019, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 17,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt930s View Post
Iím just not a fan of those wheels...reminds me of the daisy tub stickers from when I was a kid.
To me it looks like a 5 bolt version of a 914 Fuchs, and it doesn't work with 5 spokes. It only works with 4.

__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
2004 40 Jahre
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-04-2019, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:42 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.