Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,825
Is the varnish starting to fade? 😯
Maybe the bidders are starting to realize itís not all fairy tales and pixie dust sprinkled over every car they auction. At least one bidder has removed their BaT blinders from the sound of it.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)
Registered User
nothing is ever absolute that for sure
Old 07-11-2019, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Is the varnish starting to fade? 😯
Maybe the bidders are starting to realize itís not all fairy tales and pixie dust sprinkled over every car they auction. At least one bidder has removed their BaT blinders from the sound of it.
The seller looked very suspect to me from the start. His mileage claim was an outright lie from the get go. He was called out on it and just ignored the comments that called him out on it. Also he added a bunch of BS comments about how his mechanic checked out the car blh blh blh . There were so many comments by the seller that were suspect. I don't really take issue with BAT. I use it to sell cars but I also understand the risks.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 07-11-2019, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 11
For those with buying or selling experience on BaT, what recourse, if any, do buyers have post auction close? I assumed it was a bidder's responsibility to get a PPI prior to auction close because the fee was non-refundable. Am I mistaken?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanoak View Post
For those with buying or selling experience on BaT, what recourse, if any, do buyers have post auction close? I assumed it was a bidder's responsibility to get a PPI prior to auction close because the fee was non-refundable. Am I mistaken?
Basically buyers have no recourse. If the seller backs out its would be extremely difficult, expensive and time consuming to force a sale. Even if you could, would you really want to at that point?

Your other comment is spot on.... the buyer has the duty to have a PPI done prior to placing his bid. I guess technically the buyer could seek a PPI and then have the option of walking away from the purchase but knowing they forfeit their buyers premium if they didn't like the PPI.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 07-11-2019, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
Basically buyers have no recourse. If the seller backs out its would be extremely difficult, expensive and time consuming to force a sale. Even if you could, would you really want to at that point?

Your other comment is spot on.... the buyer has the duty to have a PPI done prior to placing his bid. I guess technically the buyer could seek a PPI and then have the option of walking away from the purchase but knowing they forfeit their buyers premium if they didn't like the PPI.
DING. DING. DING. And we have a winner! This is why BaT is for sellers only.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
With regards to the 83 SC coupe that sold last week for $37 plus fees....

Jul 11 at 1:39 PM
gandyman 10
I donít know if heís a dealer, but I do know heís a dbag. He started by texting pictures of his yellow McLaren. Then got slippery when I asked him the location of the car so I could get a PPI before I wired him the money. Now has ghosted completely. NO SALE. Silly me for thiking BAT vetted sellers at all.




This was the car that had only moved 2 miles in 13 years according to the carfax and records, yet the seller claimed he drove it 50 to 75 miles over the last 3/4 years.
Haha. Typical Dirty Jersey.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Haha. Typical Dirty Jersey.
Really, you think there are any more or less dirty sellers percentage wise in NJ vs. any other state? I'll take the other side of that bet. Statistically its nearly impossible.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 593
While no doubt seller is a slimeball, and short of knowing any more about this auction, buyer typically arranges for PPI during the course of the auction - not after.

This is assuming buyer didn't mention anything about PPI until after close of auction. This would obviously not apply if buyer mentions arrangement of PPI during auction as the condition for bid.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
While no doubt seller is a slimeball, and short of knowing any more about this auction, buyer typically arranges for PPI during the course of the auction - not after.

This is assuming buyer didn't mention anything about PPI until after close of auction. This would obviously not apply if buyer mentions arrangement of PPI during auction as the condition for bid.
Itís totally asinine to PPI a car you donít already have under contract. What a waste of time and money. And thatís also assuming that the seller will even release the car mid auction to go out for a thorough and proper PPI. You guys are stating all of the reasons the buyer gives away all or at least most of their due diligence rights on BaT.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 172
Garage
We sell a lot of cars on BAT and are always willing to have a car PPI'd prior to the end of auction, in fact we will drop everything and get the car to whoever is doing the inspection straight away. We do make it clear however, that this needs to happen before the end of the auction, not after. We have a lot of experience with traditional auction houses in addition to BAT. At least with BAT you have an entire week to check the car out, have it inspected and such. I know that no one would have any luck having a PPI done after they raised their paddle at any of the big auction houses. Auctions aren't for everyone, whether traditional or online, if you aren't comfortable doing the PPI prior to auction close, you should buy your vehicles elsewhere.

Last edited by jsbfoto; 07-11-2019 at 11:16 AM..
Old 07-11-2019, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #171 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbfoto View Post
We sell a lot of cars on BAT and are always willing to have a car PPI'd prior to the end of auction, in fact we will drop everything and get the car to whoever is doing the inspection straight away. We do make it clear however, that this needs to happen before the end of the auction, not after. We have a lot of experience with traditional auction houses in addition to BAT. At least with BAT you have an entire week to check the car out, have it inspected and such. I know that no one would have any luck having a PPI done after they raised their paddle at any of the big auction houses. Auctions aren't for everyone, whether traditional or online, if you aren't comfortable doing the PPI prior to auction close, you should buy your vehicles elsewhere.
Well said
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 07-11-2019, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #172 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbfoto View Post
We sell a lot of cars on BAT and are always willing to have a car PPI'd prior to the end of auction, in fact we will drop everything and get the car to whoever is doing the inspection straight away. We do make it clear however, that this needs to happen before the end of the auction, not after. We have a lot of experience with traditional auction houses in addition to BAT. At least with BAT you have an entire week to check the car out, have it inspected and such. I know that no one would have any luck having a PPI done after they raised their paddle at any of the big auction houses. Auctions aren't for everyone, whether traditional or online, if you aren't comfortable doing the PPI prior to auction close you should buy your vehicles elsewhere.
Youíre kinda missing my point. Even if you allow it, itís still a waste of time and money conducting a PPI without already having the car under contract. Assuming you do it though, youíve now just spent several hundreds of dollars at minimum...and you still donít know if you can get the car bought for what you believe itís worth. Itís akin to paying for a home inspection prior to having the home already under contract while the seller is telling you that there are several people interested in it with offers to come. That is asinine. This is the same. To each their own, but with BaT or any similar sites, the buyers are making serious concessions just for their 15 minutes of internet fame to buy it in front of a keyboard audience cheering them on.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #173 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
Really, you think there are any more or less dirty sellers percentage wise in NJ vs. any other state? I'll take the other side of that bet. Statistically its nearly impossible.
Easy up it's a joke. Miami take the "highest population of dbag sellers" award if you ask me. I grew up on the East Coast btw.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #174 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 172
Garage
@JMS935 That's why I stated that if you aren't comfortable having the PPI done prior to the end of auction, it would be best to look elsewhere for your purchases. No system is perfect, however, at least you have plenty of time with BAT for due diligence in comparison to other auction venues.
Buying cars is different than buying real estate, but if you were at a property auction, and you raised your paddle, you would be an owner, no inspection after the fact.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #175 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,283
Come on JMS.... once you say takem, you own em. If you want to vet your position do it before you say takem.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 07-11-2019, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #176 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbfoto View Post
@JMS935 That's why I stated that if you aren't comfortable having the PPI done prior to the end of auction, it would be best to look elsewhere for your purchases. No system is perfect, however, at least you have plenty of time with BAT for due diligence in comparison to other auction venues.
Buying cars is different than buying real estate, but if you were at a property auction, and you raised your paddle, you would be an owner, no inspection after the fact.
You’re comparing buying a property at a foreclosure auction to BaT. How funny. I was comparing it to a traditional purchase, not a property you don’t even have access to. I’ve done both, and at those foreclosure auctions I’m always paying way under fair market value, which is definitely not where cars sell for on BaT. Bad example.

Buying high priced assets is buying high priced assets, there is no difference to me. If I’m spending 6 figures on a car, I want total control of that buying process, all the same as I do when I’m spending 6 figures on real estate. I don’t give up my leverage on that process as a buyer just because it’s a used car, those that do, do so at their own risk. It’s just stupid in my opinion to do so. My comparison was and is quite accurate, yours is off base.

I get it that you guys are dealers that make a living selling cars on BaT, and I’m just a collector, this is obviously why I’m not sugarcoating my opinion here. But you’ve got to at least acknowledge how much leverage is lost as a buyer on BaT, or any like kind website, if you can’t make that acknowledgment then you’re just not getting it or refuse to do so.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #177 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 11
As a resident of Miami, I wholly agree with this take. There's a saying about Miami, "Sunny Place, Shady People" and it would be hard for anyone to disagree with that.

I've been searching for an air-cooled 911 for a several months now and I've looked at at least 10 down here and 8/10 sellers were suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Easy up it's a joke. Miami take the "highest population of dbag sellers" award if you ask me.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #178 (permalink)
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
You’re kinda missing my point. Even if you allow it, it’s still a waste of time and money conducting a PPI without already having the car under contract. Assuming you do it though, you’ve now just spent several hundreds of dollars at minimum...and you still don’t know if you can get the car bought for what you believe it’s worth. It’s akin to paying for a home inspection prior to having the home already under contract while the seller is telling you that there are several people interested in it with offers to come. That is asinine. This is the same. To each their own, but with BaT or any similar sites, the buyers are making serious concessions just for their 15 minutes of internet fame to buy it in front of a keyboard audience cheering them on.
I've been trying to hear and see your point on this and you do make a valid argument that BaT is weighted to the seller, which I think is definitely by design and necessary. You continue to site ebay which has zero buyer leverage (can't even leave deadbeat bidders negative feedback anymore), whereupon you then add an additional layer of security for yourself by insisting on a PPI after you win but before you pay. You have created a buyers utopia which is not REAL for most sellers. I think you are taking advantage of the fact that the seller is leveraged and would have to wait another 7 days for a new auction to end and it now looks bad to run again despite it showed that it SOLD(can you say appears to have been shill bid?). What you want/like is way more buyer friendly than BaT is seller friendly in my opinion. You have a week to get on a plane or send a mechanic to look at it. In the real world those expenses should be yours not the sellers and yes before its under contract. Does a seller pay for you to fly to Hawaii to look at their vacation home or do you do it at your own interest and risk? I'm not suggesting you do your transactions any differently than you do because its risk-free and it definitely works for you, but It's hard to listen to you propose that it is the way it should always be. Honestly I would feel like a complete arse hole if I did that after I won an auction.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #179 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanoak View Post
As a resident of Miami, I wholly agree with this take. There's a saying about Miami, "Sunny Place, Shady People" and it would be hard for anyone to disagree with that.

I've been searching for an air-cooled 911 for a several months now and I've looked at at least 10 down here and 8/10 sellers were suspect.
Not just the cars and sellers--the parts that come out of South Florida all look like they've been pulled from the muddiest section of the Everglades as well.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #180 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:18 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.