Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My 964 and the market overall?

So Iím thinking about selling my 964 and getting into something a bit newer that can handle the occasional track day without expensive mods. Something with a GT in the name.
I see 964 prices all over the map these days, so Iím wondering what the experts think.
Mine is a silver 89 C4. 52k miles. Black interior with desirable sport seats. I would rate interior to be a 9/10. Canít think of any obvious flaws to point out. Exterior is probably an 8 or 8.5.
Current mods: Momo wheel, aftermarket stereo, Coco mats, Bilsteins with HR lowering springs, Racing Dynamics wheels, cat delete and cup pipe. I have all OEM parts in boxes.
Clutch has been replaced, as has the shifter. AC blows cold.

Things that make it less than perfect: it drips. Motor has never been apart, and it does seep and drip a bit. It had a tiny rust bubble under the paint at the base of the windshield. The ABS/PDAS warning light comes on intermittently. (Two shops have looked into this and are 99% sure itís an electrical problem and not a mechanical issue.)

All that being said, what do we think current value would be? And letís speculate on what it might be worth in 5 years?
Old 09-07-2019, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Old 09-07-2019, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

should be good for at least $50 if not a few bucks more, probably same amount in 5 years
Old 09-07-2019, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I hope you’re a bit low...
Old 09-10-2019, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbintx View Post
I hope you’re a bit low...
Nice car. The wheels are not my thing. Early motor configuration so needs a re seal, less desirable mirrors, little rust. I don't think the OP was wrong about price. Could be + 5-8k if it was a C2.

I think low mid 50's is achievable on BAT, but i'd try to get it on there as soon as possible.

Last edited by msort81; 09-10-2019 at 05:23 AM..
Old 09-10-2019, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

With those miles I think you'll see high $50's low $60's

If you spent a little more on a reseal and went back to the stock configuration I think you could see even more.

Five years from now? Tell me what's going to happen with the economy and I'll give you an idea. Baring global economic melt down, I don't think the price is going much of anywhere +/- 10%
Old 09-10-2019, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post

If you spent a little more on a reseal and went back to the stock configuration I think you could see even more.

Five years from now? Tell me what's going to happen with the economy and I'll give you an idea. Baring global economic melt down, I don't think the price is going much of anywhere +/- 10%
Potato-Potato. Post for what you want and of it doesn't go then you know +/-mid 50's is a realistic number. Its a pretty car but a early 964C4 is only special to you, and while miles are low for the age its not a show car low number.

What it's worth in the future, ten years from now when Greta Thunebergs gen are making an impact on the political stage who knows. Cars are not investments regardless of what people who think they can predict markets might assure you.

Take it out and Drive the snot out of it, enjoy it !
Old 09-10-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Mid $50s -/+

Top end with head gasket retro fit will cost $13-15k min at a reputable shop but probably more. A reseal will run around $5k. Rust repair $2k. Not sure about the ABS light.

Who knows what they will be worth in 5 years. I know the 964 coupes have had a major run up in the past 2-3 years and noticed values have flattened in the past 6 month in general.

GLWS
Old 09-10-2019, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by msort81 View Post
Nice car. The wheels are not my thing. Early motor configuration so needs a re seal, less desirable mirrors, little rust. I don't think the OP was wrong about price. Could be + 5-8k if it was a C2.

I think low mid 50's is achievable on BAT, but i'd try to get it on there as soon as possible.
^this in spades. Miles are also high enough I would start worrying about expensive repairs to the awd system.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-10-2019, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
So Iím thinking about selling my 964 and getting into something a bit newer that can handle the occasional track day without expensive mods. Something with a GT in the name.
The most basic entry level model will have almost twice the HP of your 964
Old 09-10-2019, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post

I like your answer best lol. I do have the D90s in the garage, along with all stock parts I removed along the way.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

Quote:
I like your answer best lol. I do have the D90s in the garage, along with all stock parts I removed along the way.
@mbintx I'll be $50 bid .... you can lean on it all you like, consider yourself stopped out there if you like. (with the assumption the car is what you say it is, and I have no reason to doubt you.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

50k now .... ppi dependent, to a certain extent.
in 5 years? my guesstimate? 40k, once associated costs of carrying/opportunity costs are factored in. : )
Old 09-10-2019, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

It's a c4 not a c2. There was a white c2 that just barely broke 50k on BAT this summer. But the answer is we don't know until you put it up.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Less than $50 on BaT on a bad day, less than $55 on a good day, more than $55 never.

I don't think you'd be able to list that with a reserve of more than $50K, and you'd better be ready to let it go at the reserve price, because it very well may not go much higher.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Does being an '89 affect value?

My personal view is never buy the first year of a model since the first year's run is really beta testing. This goes for any car, not just Porsches. But is that the general consensus as well? Does it matter 30 years later?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
Does being an '89 affect value?

My personal view is never buy the first year of a model since the first year's run is really beta testing. This goes for any car, not just Porsches. But is that the general consensus as well? Does it matter 30 years later?
30 years later 1st year and last year is almost always if not always worth more.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
30 years later 1st year and last year is almost always if not always worth more.
I knew last year came with a premium, didn't think 1st year did as well. The whole market is weird with things like that.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

The 1994 964's will always be worth more than 89's due to production numbers alone (apples to apples condition / mileage etc...)
Old 09-11-2019, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
If i want to listen to piffle, i can go to Maaco, at least they have free coffee and Donuts.

The 964 C4 market is as flat as the rest of the Porsche market. The miles are not low enough to get a premium so the seller might as well put another 10-20k miles on it. The additional miles won't change its value by more than a few thousand dollars.

An 89 964 C4 with no head gasket, flag mirrors, rust and 50kish miles is not a unicorn.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: