Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cayman S as collectible?

Iím in the position of my project 911 being sold tomorrow. It was just too much work, and taking too much time from the family. Fortunately the wife has been patient and has blessed off on another, better condition Porsche. Realistic max budget is mid $20kís, or better yet sub $20k.

Iím considering the options, which for me are a Cayman, preferably an S, or shopping for good buys on an SC or Carrera. Seems the market has cooled quite a bit, and even some decent drivers are staying on the market in the mid$20k range. At the same time, Caymans seem to all be listed above blue book value.

So, this brings me to the question... do you see the Cayman S, 06-08, being a car that is stable in value at this point, or even something that would appreciate over the next 10 years, or is it more in the realm of a constantly depreciating Boxster?
Old 09-14-2019, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I doubt the 2006-2008 Cayman or Cayman S will appreciate in value... at least not in the next 15-20 years. IMHO, values seem to be remaining fairly sortof stable, except the high mileage cars.

I'm biased... have had 18 or so Porsches in my lifetime... and my current 08 Cayman Base 5 speed is my favorite one.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Roblav, I have driven one, but only a test drive. First Porsche I ever drove, actually. How do you find the Cayman to be in terms of reliability and maintenance cost vs the air-cooled 911s? And what would you consider to be high mileage for a Cayman? For example would a daily driven Cayman with 100k still be fairly tight, or on its way to worn out?
Old 09-14-2019, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, absolutely. They simply do not make cars like this anymore, and the 911 is a bloated luxo muscle car now. They are already 13 years old and will bottom out, if they haven't already.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfassett View Post
Iím in the position of my project 911 being sold tomorrow. It was just too much work, and taking too much time from the family. Fortunately the wife has been patient and has blessed off on another, better condition Porsche. Realistic max budget is mid $20kís, or better yet sub $20k.

Iím considering the options, which for me are a Cayman, preferably an S, or shopping for good buys on an SC or Carrera. Seems the market has cooled quite a bit, and even some decent drivers are staying on the market in the mid$20k range. At the same time, Caymans seem to all be listed above blue book value.

So, this brings me to the question... do you see the Cayman S, 06-08, being a car that is stable in value at this point, or even something that would appreciate over the next 10 years, or is it more in the realm of a constantly depreciating Boxster?
The Cayman design is too current to appreciate in the next ten years. If you want ROI Spend more and buy a Cayman R, don't abuse it, keep it well, and unless gas gets banned its possible to get something back over purchase price
I always look at the Porsche design one Flashy matte stripes in the paintwork, mostly cosmetic mods, 150 made or something. I could see future classic in it.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
gearhead

Kind of two questions here. Are they fully deprecated? Yeah, mostly.

As for collectible? I don’t think so. They are just too new and too common. I bought a high miles one to drive. I needed a 987.1 for business purposes, but my personal sweetspot is the 987.2 non-S. .
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-15-2019, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Fair enough. Thatís kind of where I was coming from. There arenít that many out there. And maybe near the stable point as far as price.

Why do you prefer the regular Cayman vs the S?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
gearhead

Cost versus power. I’m not an HP junkie. I’m fine with 265 versus 320 and getting to pay a bit less for the car. They are still great little cars. But by getting into a 987.2 you get the 6spd. Not very fond of the 5spd. It’s a weak gearbox.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-15-2019, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Cost versus power. I’m not an HP junkie. I’m fine with 265 versus 320 and getting to pay a bit less for the car. . . .
My attempts to help you realize what is actually of utmost importance in a sports car have failed miserably - I need to up my game!
Old 09-15-2019, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
My attempts to help you realize what is actually of utmost importance in a sports car have failed miserably - I need to up my game!
Iím beyond help. I like my cars 250-300hp and under 3k#.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-15-2019, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Frankly, I prefer the 5-speed in the base Cayman. The Cayman S doesn't really need a 6 speed because of the wider torque band. But 6 speeds were the expected standard at the time - so voila!
The base Cayman is great if you don't mind shifting to get the power at the higher revs. To me, it's more fun making a slower car go faster than a faster car go slower. And the base Cayman is lighter too... and 30 MPG highway. I drove mine from Norfolk, VA to Albuquerque, NM and back - 2 days each way. It doesn't wear you out like an air-cooled PCar does. I've driven air-cooled 911s cross country a few times in my youth, and the buzzing of your body remains for about an hour.

Maintenance has been easier on this car than my old 911s... just oil changes, spark plugs, serpentine belt and tensioner, and brake pads. I had two issues with mine: interior roof liner and left door handle mechanism, both common and fairly easy fixes.

I don't believe they'll be collectibles (but I also thought that with 2.0 and 2.2 911T!)... you never know for sure. But I also believe depreciation is about as low as they will go. Recommend find one with 60K or less miles for about $23K. I bought mine with 32K on the clock almost 5 years ago for slightly more.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Choosing the right car begins with how you plan to use it and rubbing the crystal ball to guess which will be the next collectible is always a crap shoot.

If you really want to chase appreciation, car collectors can be both fickle and surprising, and you will want to hide it in the garage to keep mileage low.

If you want a great driving car with modern creature comforts, high performance, and good looks, a Cayman is good value for $$ right now. Like Matt I favor the 987.2 Base for the high build quality, great balance between motor and chassis, and timeless good looks. By modern standards she is not a rocket ship but is as quick as an early 930 Turbo, so perspective is important. They were also made in much smaller #s so if collector appreciation is possible, this one should be desirable.

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 09-15-2019 at 12:14 PM..
Old 09-15-2019, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Are caymans collectible? I get the performance is great, but still. To me its like a Miata; great car, fun car, affordable car, underappreciated, "true sports car", etc. however, you would never see me in one. I'd rather be caught driving a mustang special badge edition with the expensive wear items gullible people buy.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblav View Post
Frankly, I prefer the 5-speed in the base Cayman. The
I don't believe they'll be collectibles (but I also thought that with 2.0 and 2.2 911T!)... you never know for sure. But I also believe depreciation is about as low as they will go. Recommend find one with 60K or less miles for about $23K. I bought mine with 32K on the clock almost 5 years ago for slightly more.
as another person trying to decide whether to pull the trigger, I am looking at a 2008 base model Cayman with 88k miles. The interior looks practically new and the exterior is a 9/10, just some fine swirl marks on the paint, no significant rock chips or scratches. Autocheck says its had 2 accidents but no airbag deploy with no other details, and the title is clean. Car is in CA now but started in Seattle for 2 years and then spent 4 years in oregon. The ask is $18.8 K and I am trying to decide on whether to send it for the $400 all bells and whistles PPI this week. What are everybodies thoughts on the price?

Also, do people generally negotiate a price before the PPI and the renegotiate if something big appears, or do you leave it all to after the PPI?

p.s. its a manual 5 speed, in the medium grey over black
Old 09-15-2019, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Have you looked in cargurus.com?
Old 09-15-2019, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I found it on car gurus as it happens. It is one of the lowest asking prices there but the numbers are small and it seems that in my local area (San Diego) people seem to be asking 150% of the KBB dealer prices and the dealers are, of course, higher generally.

That is why I ask , because the gap between what people are asking and what I see is a 'fair' price on edmunds or kbb is bigger than I have ever seen before.

Also the carguru's price ratings I think are bought by the sellers because I have seen lots of cases of car 1, 2006, 100k miles, 23k *GREAT PRICE* and then car 2 2008, 90k miles, 22k --HIGH PRICE--. That is a younger newer car with lower miles and a lower price been called a high price while the older higher mile, higher price is called a great price. These are side-by-side in the results...

So my assumption is, the 'great price' labels are for sale.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
and then there is this, sold ebay listings
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks/6001/i.html?_fsrp=1&modelval=Cayman&makeval=Porsche&_nk w=Porsche+Cayman&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C1000%7C25 00&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&UF_single_selection=Make%3APors che%2CModel%3ACayman&UF_context=finderType%3AVEHIC LE_FINDER&_sacat=6001&_stpos=92129&_fspt=1&Model%2 520Year=2006%7C2007%7C2008%7C2009
Old 09-15-2019, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I was wondering about that too. Ask prices are WAY over blue book.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfassett View Post
I was wondering about that too. Ask prices are WAY over blue book.
Bold is mine.
Any comps?
Old 09-15-2019, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Ok. Here's one. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/mySavedListings.action#listing=222613575

Private party asking 26k. CO says it is $668 over market. Blue book is 21863 in very good condition.
'17 F150
Old 09-15-2019, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: