Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Yes, stick is basically obsolete now. PDK is superior in every way.
Some people will insist they want to start their car with a hand crank, but they also died off.
Once this last generation dies off, car makers will have no reason to waste manufacturing efforts of selling 1% of their cars with a stick.
I don't think there is any question that manual trans cars will not be offered on a large scale from manufacturers. That ship has already sailed with many already no longer offering manual trans cars.

There is still a huge following of brass era cars. I know a lot of people that also have cars with cable driven brakes as their weekend hobby/toy. Some are in their 40's. The question isn't whether people will buy new cars with manual trans but whether people will still have interest in these older cars with manual trans. Currently there are a lot of people that want to row gears. I can't tell you how many I know purchased 718's with PDK only to trade them in for a GT4's with a manual box. Irrespective of which was faster/better etc. they didn't like the turbo 4 and or the PDK. Nothing interactive about those cars and that is what the sports car feel is all about to many. Will that change in the future is the ??
Old 10-08-2019, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Kind of Blue

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I have no doubt they will detune these and offer different options in the future although I have driven faster cars. They just need to engineer better road feel and maybe a sound track for us old school folk.
There are faster cars out there, no question, but nothing that gives the immediate availability of torque at any speed without any throttle delay.

It also has some very real similarities to our 911s in that you sit forward with a large windshield, all with a low center of gravity.

I've grown to appreciate the lack of sound. I find normal cars are loud anymore and any of my three toys to be deafening by comparison.

Now Porsche-less for the time being.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I have no doubt they will detune these and offer different options in the future although I have driven faster cars. They just need to engineer better road feel and maybe a sound track for us old school folk.
The Taycan appears to have solved the road feel problem with the electrics.

The soundtrack is a lost cause. But the modern cars are already sound well insulated and muffled compared to our classics.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
The Taycan appears to have solved the road feel problem with the electrics.

The soundtrack is a lost cause. But the modern cars are already sound well insulated and muffled compared to our classics.
Maybe although both my Cayanne GTS and Macan GTS were very well insulated cars, in sport mode have a nice sound along with my Boxster GTS. i will hold out on any comments regarding the Taycan. Although I preferred the name Mission E.

No doubt the E cars have instant acceleration with torque on demand but that is just a small portion of the equation.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

At last count, just 3.9 percent of cars sold in U.S. were built with manual transmissions, but in the rest of the world, manual transmissions are still overwhelmingly the top choice. In Europe and Japan, for example, more than 80 percent of cars sold have manual transmissions.Apr 7, 2016
https://www.thezebra.com › manual-...
I find it interesting that outside the US manual transmission is still dominant. When I went to Ireland last year and rented a car I had to pay extra for an automatic transmission.( I was to big a puss to drive on the left and shift at the same time) Used a driver for a day and it looked strange to see him manually shifting the big van he was driving. Anyone else have the same impression around the world?

Last edited by David67; 11-15-2019 at 07:23 AM..
Old 11-15-2019, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

I actually increased my vintage sport Rolex collection this year instead of investing (well spending) on Porsche related Or Ferrari related purchases..

Too much attention on our hobby.

Too many loud mouth anti car activists.

Too many folks preaching the end of aircooleds and the financial sense of our hobby..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-21-2019, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David67 View Post
At last count, just 3.9 percent of cars sold in U.S. were built with manual transmissions, but in the rest of the world, manual transmissions are still overwhelmingly the top choice. In Europe and Japan, for example, more than 80 percent of cars sold have manual transmissions.Apr 7, 2016
https://www.thezebra.com manual-...
I find it interesting that outside the US manual transmission is still dominant. When I went to Ireland last year and rented a car I had to pay extra for an automatic transmission.( I was to big a puss to drive on the left and shift at the same time) Used a driver for a day and it looked strange to see him manually shifting the big van he was driving. Anyone else have the same impression around the world?
Small engines and automatic transmissions are not a good mix.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
Many of the key motorcycles manufacturers had fling with automatics in the 70’s. thankfully they didnt didn’t sell so well and overtaken the manuals. They barely exist in the market places today. Same with turbo’d bikes on the 80’s.

Bikers get it and so does F1 ?
my pops' buddy bought a Husqvarna dirt bike that was auto in what must have been 81 or 82 because I rode it at one point, very strange as I recall. he rode it with us trail biking and a couple enduros and sold it. as best as I can recall you could not manually down shift it or hold it in a gear so down hills became the fly in that ointment. I remember the dude caught a ton of grief selling it for like 30 cents on the dollar after a year and maybe 1000 miles. huskys were not cheap even then, like 2x what a Japanese bike would run ya and there was little interest when he tried to sell it.

I smoked him and most of my pops' friends that started riding as adults as a kid on my hand me down PE175 in those days in district 36 enduros. when I was fast the brakes were drums and there was two rear shocks!

there was no such thing as bark busters either. I loved single track woods riding
(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 11-21-2019, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: