Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911heaven View Post
This idea may have been misunderstood, or I wasn't clear. I don't know for sure. To clarify, and conversely, what I would like to do, if it were possible, my plan is go back to BTR III twin injector motronic system which is what I dismantled from the car 20 years ago. I don't have it anymore, foolishly let that engine go and all to do with it (still have the 6 speed R 50-50 transmission). So it's not veering away from stock Ruf on this car, rather trying to come back to it i.e. BTR III. The motor I'm acquiring isn't BTR III, rather standard BTR and single injector, non-motronic @ 374 hp. It is authentic BTR 3.4, Ruf stamped case. Even the engine no. is 63K (89), which my former engine had. That 63K is written on my title, so it fits very nicely. It isn't BTR III motronic however.

Still I'm quite intrigued and thankful for all the input here by everyone who is posting or has posted. There are great nuggets, helpful direction in all of these posts, so a big thanks to all! I still need to do some follow up on advice I've already been given. Takes time to do that with work schedule and time zones. I'll try to get there eventually, go slow too so as not to make many mistakes. Guys on the engine forum have also chimed in on my similar thread there, thanks to advice from M2 that I should list there.

bernie
Totally missed this. I didnít realize the newly found engine was the wrong spec that changes it for me. Beg, borrow and steal to get Ruf to convert it for you.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-01-2019, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Totally missed this. I didnít realize the newly found engine was the wrong spec that changes it for me. Beg, borrow and steal to get Ruf to convert it for you.
This is probably out of the question, but how much can I borrow from you Matt, say 1 year MAX on pay back with a little interest? I thought so! I 'll do my best, maybe I need to get busy and sell something for sure. I have always appreciated your advice, and you have been with me on this car for how many years now? 6 or 7? 5 or 6?

Best,

bernie
Old 11-02-2019, 02:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post

sean would not know cool if it was ran up his ass.....
Now Toby, I did ask for pics of all the boyz mobiles, and didn't git that many. Got some so not complaining at all. If the rest of your car looks like this, pristine and clean, despite what the Raw man says about anything, I think it's masterpiece 911 art! I love it. I can visualize the passion, and that's why I'd love to take it for a spin, of course with you watching my every move behind the wheel.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Say spuggy, I was so inspired by your intuitive/informative post that I busted a move!
Thank you for the advice! I may come back and curse you after I get the bill! Just kidding I hope.
Bernie, great that you've decided on a direction that'll give good results and are moving on it! Often the hardest part.

I find it helps to pay as many invoices separately as possible - and then carefully avoid adding them up. Not even in your head....

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2019, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Now Toby, I did ask for pics of all the boyz mobiles, and didn't git that many. Got some so not complaining at all. If the rest of your car looks like this, pristine and clean, despite what the Raw man says about anything, I think it's masterpiece 911 art! I love it. I can visualize the passion, and that's why I'd love to take it for a spin, of course with you watching my every move behind the wheel.

it's far from that clean these days im afraid..... been way too busy with stuff the last year and a half to do much of anything on the car including driving it. in fact by mid next summer if I have not driven it a bunch with what remains of this fall and next spring I have been tossing around the idea of selling it. im enjoying the jeep much more up here these days, and may need to find a more versatile sports car for these parts. something like a WRX or the like that if need be I can actually back it out of the garage with snow on the ground.
(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 11-03-2019, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
it's far from that clean these days im afraid..... been way too busy with stuff the last year and a half to do much of anything on the car including driving it. in fact by mid next summer if I have not driven it a bunch with what remains of this fall and next spring I have been tossing around the idea of selling it. im enjoying the jeep much more up here these days, and may need to find a more versatile sports car for these parts. something like a WRX or the like that if need be I can actually back it out of the garage with snow on the ground.
Put a diff in that old 911 and that concern goes away.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-03-2019, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Maybe what M2 says makes sense. I hope so! Selling is ok 2, yet when Spring comes around you may be lonely for 911 hobby. Just heard Joni Mitchell song on the radio -- big yellow taxi. The theme is you don't know what you got til it's gone. Fair enough! I'll flip that around for you, and then you make your own choice.

22 years ago I brought back a third world girl from Italy. She was Dominican. I thought this souvenier would work out, but 6 years later she copped most of my money on a clean sweep and left back to NYC! So you might never know what you got til it's gone. Thank God I had only amassed 40k by then. Still, I would say, you never know what you got til it's gone. I can honestly say, I haven't been happier since!!

bernie
Old 11-04-2019, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Pmax would accuse us of caveman syndrome. I just see it as respect for our cars’ history. There’s a difference between molesting a random 930 and reworking a Ruf. If building hot rods is one’s thing then sell the ruf and buy a project to finish.
Let's see, backdating to an ancient and obsolete engine tech just because ... that's caveman syndrome.

Sell the BTR and buy any old 930 and have at it...

As for Tobs and his pretty engine in a RUF thread, haha, please, consider the subject matter
Old 11-05-2019, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Let's see, backdating to an ancient and obsolete engine tech just because ... that's caveman syndrome.

Sell the BTR and buy any old 930 and have at it...

As for Tobs and his pretty engine in a RUF thread, haha, please, consider the subject matter
You really should read the whole thread before commenting.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-05-2019, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
You really should read the whole thread before commenting.
I read Bernie's OP, then saw yours and Tobs' pretty pic.

That's more than enough for me.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
actually drove the domino some today. haircut with dennis in downtown twain harte, an afternoon visit to the bamboo orchid for my regular order prepared by sweet, sweet Yum Li before I headed off to my PO Box to key the slot and collect paper correspondence..

the drive, it was nice. all the roads here are twisty and only saw one signaled intersection.. funny thing is a few hundred miles in up here the car much to my my surprise is running leaner here than at sea level! what says you pmax? is it a WUR, a ADD, fuel pressure resistance, a something or other voltage related issue? ohm that's right! I have cool carbs to fiddle with sans yir CIS silliness...

i find it rich that ol sean is *****ing about content here in the thread he bumped for no other reason than he's alone again until raw punches in for his shift here....
Old 11-05-2019, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
. . . until raw punches in for his shift here....
Donkey punch?!?!
Old 11-05-2019, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
actually drove the domino some today. haircut with dennis in downtown twain harte, an afternoon visit to the bamboo orchid for my regular order prepared by sweet, sweet Yum Li before I headed off to my PO Box to key the slot and collect paper correspondence..

the drive, it was nice. all the roads here are twisty and only saw one signaled intersection.. funny thing is a few hundred miles in up here the car much to my my surprise is running leaner here than at sea level! what says you pmax? is it a WUR, a ADD, fuel pressure resistance, a something or other voltage related issue? ohm that's right! I have cool carbs to fiddle with sans yir CIS silliness...

i find it rich that ol sean is *****ing about content here in the thread he bumped for no other reason than he's alone again until raw punches in for his shift here....
Itís the cold temps more than the elevation Iím guessing.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-05-2019, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
actually unseasonably warm here (so the weather man is saying, im new to the area) in the low 70's mid day and only in the low 50's at night. need some rain so I can get to my burn piles.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
This is probably out of the question, but how much can I borrow from you Matt, say 1 year MAX on pay back with a little interest? I thought so! I 'll do my best, maybe I need to get busy and sell something for sure. I have always appreciated your advice, and you have been with me on this car for how many years now? 6 or 7? 5 or 6?

Best,

bernie
Sell the sporto.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-06-2019, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
actually unseasonably warm here (so the weather man is saying, im new to the area) in the low 70's mid day and only in the low 50's at night. need some rain so I can get to my burn piles.
hmm. We just spent a week here with lower average temps than anchorage. I thought the Sierra foothills were getting some of the same.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-06-2019, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Sell the sporto.
I've considered that, but my first choice is the 69 Z28. The Sporto needs a little more time to acquire the domestic documents/approval by local DMV for domestic registration. I can export it now on title but not register it here or sell at auction (yet). If I wait it out, as a dealer car here it's the best bet. The Z is doing nothing for me, costing me 40 dollars a month to store plus rego and insurance. Problem is it needs a rear main seal. When cold on start up it drops about a quart. After warm up no leak. I can't sell it like that. Moreover, I need to get back home to oversee that I feel. I've heard a new seal can be threaded in without too much work or expense. I'm so out of touch on muscle cars. Any thoughts on that?
Old 11-07-2019, 02:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: