Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What does the group think of GT3 cars?

I am toying with owning a 996 (2004-05) GT3.
Never owned one and never drove one either. The cars seem to be a bright spot on holding its value too. I thought about the 996 Turbo cars, but itís kinda common and the prices are confusing to me.

I never owned a water cooled car, and concerned about the reliability and maintenance.
The bulk of viewers here seem to be air cooled guys, but not a lot of discussion on these later models

So what does the group think of GT3 cars, one idea is very ruff to drive daily, others told me no, they can be driven not in a constant race mode. After many air cooled cars from 912, SC, Carrera, 964 and 993 they were all great and I would think some of these cars are more of a challenge then late models.

Thoughts please.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Turbos can be less common if you can get a rare color. Color, stick, coupe, miles under 50k all add a premium.
They are also far more civilized as a DD than a GT3. But a GT3 is a really fun car.

The problem with the GT3 is that many of them have been driven like they were meant to be - on a track - so you need to be sure that you get one that's not been run hard and put away wet. Turbos are (usually) kept more road going.

If I were you I'd try both.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
gearhead

Here’s a good starting point for you. They are fantastic cars.

996 GT3 vs 997 GT3
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 10-25-2019, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Ass-hat

Garage
Unbelievable driving experience; I'd go as far as to call the feel iconic.

The detractors for the 6GT3 are the same as the street car: abysmal looks and unacceptable interior. Those are subjective, but would need to be considered for a car that gets a lot of use on the street.

I own a 7.1GT3 and it is definetly an overall better and quicker car, but for a daily or a dedicated track car, I actually think the 6 would be my choice (just from a "driving" perspective. I'll never be okay with the 6 interior if I had to spend time in it not driving in anger). Now that the prices have come back to earth from last year, I think they are a good deal as well.

Ignoring the 1% cars......the top 5% can be had in the mid to low $70's while good drivers can be had all day in the $50's range. Those cars will have track time, but these were made for that. The consumable items are actually cheap (in Porsche comparison) and the mezger engine is robust. I've been seriously considering picking one up given the price softening in the last 6 months as I believe they're great drivers cars and will be difficult to procure in a decade or so.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Don't the GT3's have the water line hose connection issue that needs to be pinned/updated?
Old 10-25-2019, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Big fans of the 996 / 997 GT3's. Purist type cars. Haven't driven the 996 but only have heard good things. Driven a couple of 997 GT3s which share the same basic Mezger power plant with some performance improvements. Huge difference compared to a standard 997 911s. I would not recommend as a daily unless you have open roads and little traffic. The clutches are some of the heaviest in the biz and the general ride quality is stiff but that is kind of the point. Built to take a licking and keep on ticking. Definitely take one for a spin and let us know what you think.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Don't the GT3's have the water line hose connection issue that needs to be pinned/updated?
Common factory flaw on Mezger equipped cars (996/997 GT & Turbos). About a $2k job. Important fix if you track the car. Normal street use not as important but won't hurt to have it done when you're going in for other engine out services.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Only if you track it.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 10-25-2019, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My friend Greg bought one locally, terrifyingly fast, scary even.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 10-25-2019, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
My friend Greg bought one locally, terrifyingly fast, scary even.

---Adam
Well after driving a 356 it would seem fast, wouldnít it...

Old 10-25-2019, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

sorry to punch but they are undrivable in traffic, the 996 TT same Mezger engine are bullit prove with manual a blast even in traffic.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
dream car. ill stick with my 75 due to what's been stated above. most of them have been beat on circuit since they were made, and made for it. it's like buying a WRX from middle aged dude as opposed to a 20-30 something guy that has beat the snot out of it.
(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 10-25-2019, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan A View Post

I have speed in the stable, it all depends on my mood. Put your foot into a C43 AMG, you don't ask "what is fast?" after that. But a 356 is a wonderful car to drive, and you
feel fast!

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 10-25-2019, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
A Porsche Cup Car with plates.

I have spent many hours as an instructor in different GT3 variants including 996, 997, 991, 991RS. Absolutely phenomenal cars for a very experienced driver and like a precision surgeon's scalpel on a race track. I would choose one as a weekend thrill ride or track steed, not a daily driver. Too much car to waste away in traffic or a daily commute IMO. It is also fairly easy to stick one into a guard rail in a brief moment of inattention as many have.

Far more car than a similar era Z06 to my mind.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan A View Post

Even a lawn tractor would seem fast, by comparison!
Old 10-25-2019, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

GT3ís are a great ride and typically have enthusiast owners that track and maintain their cars. The cars are just really tough. After doing the water lines, there are no weak spots or vulnerabilities. They donít rust, the engine is bulletproof, transmission is drama free, and they have brakes for days.

For a daily driver, you can sit in traffic with the AC on and it wonít complain or overheat although the clutch can be a little heavy for stop and go traffic.

I bought my 996.2 with 41k miles and half of them were track miles. The leak down showed just 2% in the worst cylinder. A Mezger engine at 7k is pretty incredible.

There are people that bag on the 996 looks but actually the Aerokit has aged pretty well. The interior is sparse, as a track focused car should be. Most will go ahead and get the euro Recaro lightweight seats to complete the functional package.

996 vs 997 is an interesting debate. The purists who seek the most essential Porsche DNA often prefer the 996 for the completely analog suspension. Those who prefer the 997 are more focused on the appearance which is also fair.

996ís are less expensive and can be had for 993 money which makes it a no-brainer. Look at the car below, itís a great example of the kind of car to look for - no affiliation.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/1166643-i-think-i-m-done-04-gt3-f-s.html

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2019, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The 996/997 mezger motor GT cars will go down as some of the best cars Porsche ever made.

I’ve a 997.1 gt3rs and it will be in the stable forever. I have 50k miles with about 15k of those on the racetrack. I also have a 71 and 964 both are in various stages of hot roddedness.

As delivered stock they are amazing. And comfortable. The weak points are coolant pipes. They can blow on the street too. Get em done. The clutch on some had issues with pressure places. The gt3rs40 model is the fix and durable. The Diff in these spins free after any amount of agressive driving. Matt sells diffs and plates to retrofit OEM that last and last. Other than that. Drive and maintain. The only real improvements to be made are in the chassis for track use.

They are extremely durable. And absolutely amazing to drive in anger.

I just put 700 miles on mine with the wife on a little back road central ca tour a couple weeks back. My car is not stock, it’s a little stiff around town, ohlins race campers and full monoball cup car suspension. Up over 50 it sets and is very compliant and just a blast to drive.

I highly recommend any model.

Get a PPI and ensure you do a dme scan and check the over rev counter.

Yes a nice condition 996gt is a bargain. I’d buy this over a 993 every day of the week.

Any of you SoCal local guys wanna take a spin I’m up in the hills of Malibu and ach and other canyons often! I warn you though.... these cars will ruin you!

Last edited by spyerx; 10-26-2019 at 06:27 AM..
Old 10-26-2019, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
cheap fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehoff View Post
Unbelievable driving experience; I'd go as far as to call the feel iconic.

The detractors for the 6GT3 are the same as the street car: abysmal looks and unacceptable interior. Those are subjective, but would need to be considered for a car that gets a lot of use on the street.

I own a 7.1GT3 and it is definetly an overall better and quicker car, but for a daily or a dedicated track car, I actually think the 6 would be my choice (just from a "driving" perspective. I'll never be okay with the 6 interior if I had to spend time in it not driving in anger). Now that the prices have come back to earth from last year, I think they are a good deal as well.

Ignoring the 1% cars......the top 5% can be had in the mid to low $70's while good drivers can be had all day in the $50's range. Those cars will have track time, but these were made for that. The consumable items are actually cheap (in Porsche comparison) and the mezger engine is robust. I've been seriously considering picking one up given the price softening in the last 6 months as I believe they're great drivers cars and will be difficult to procure in a decade or so.
yes to all

996 GT3 is not a car you want to DD. it's like wearing 4" heel all day.. what's the point. but the clutch is NOT heavy. some guys needs to do a bit more leg press.

all GT3 are marvelous cars.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonger View Post
GT3ís are a great ride and typically have enthusiast owners that track and maintain their cars. The cars are just really tough. After doing the water lines, there are no weak spots or vulnerabilities. They donít rust, the engine is bulletproof, transmission is drama free, and they have brakes for days.

Good luck!
I wouldn't say that the transmission is completely drama free. If you want to track one, doing the LSD service is imperative. It's fine for street use, but if you drive the car hard it's a must. Just yesterday I was assembling kits.

More educational reading:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/540804-lsd-buster.html

While the 996TT doesn't have an LSD, it is awd which is perfect for all around driving. The weak link on the TT is 2nd gear. They had a popout issue from the factory because they weren't shimmed properly. Many were replaced under warranty. Now if you drive a car with a 2nd gear pop out, it needs a gearbox rebuild. Don't listen to any seller telling you it's just something that happens on these cars and the Gbox or CMS widgets can fix it. They can't.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 10-26-2019, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
While the 996TT doesn't have an LSD, it is awd which is perfect for all around driving. The weak link on the TT is 2nd gear. They had a popout issue from the factory because they weren't shimmed properly
All of them?
Only because I'd heard that was addressed by 04.
Of course since mine's an 04 and doesn't have that issue I may also have a little confirmation bias.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: