Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Value of 86 Carrera

I have a 1986 Carrera. Itís been a weekend/nice weather driver for me for the past 3 years, but Iím moving in a couple months and will no longer have a garage. I know values have likely taken a hit since 2016, but Im curious what a reasonable ask should be on my car. Iím not sure I want to deal with the headache of moving/storing it.

Roughly 180k miles, I think Ive put on around 8k of them since acquiring the car in December of 16.
Guards Red/Tan & black interior.
Healthy engine with good compression/leakdown. Recent valve adjustment. Maintained by local p-car shop (Docs Garage- Lexington SC)
First gear grinds if you try to go in from a roll but otherwise functions fine. Paint chips on front bumper/mirrors commensurate with mileage.
Original South Carolina car with all service records. Spent entire life in Southeast and Texas. No rust.
AC functioned until this past summer. Never bothered to recharge it.
Fuchs in perfect shape
No damage history.
I suspect sunroof/spoiler have been repainted at some time, theyre slightly off shade from the rest of the car.
Itís an honest driver, looks great from 10 ft. Iíd drive it cross country without concern.

Considering its high mileage and relatively undesirable color, do you think its better to address all the little needs and get it perfect, or just to be honest and sell as-is to someone who wants a solid driver 3.2?

Old 10-25-2019, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Gamecock sell your car as is and be upfront. Nothing wrong with the color combo. As it is sounds like a nice car price range from mid to high 20's GLWS.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Post some pictures. I would say lower $30s asking range by your description if it's a coupe.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Considering its high mileage and relatively undesirable color

Relative to what? It's not a popular color among the Porsche cool kidz who hang out here. For the the other 95% of Porsche owners, it's as popular as anything else.

To me buying a car from a seller who is upfront about issues, both major and minor, makes me comfortable buying. Someone who posts an ad and says things like "car needs nothing" or the eye rolling "I'd drive it across the country tomorrow" tells me there's all sorts of problems that the seller is hiding and I won't even bother.

$30K is a fair price.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Lots of people still like red Porsches. If it looks really good, I would start at $35-36.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
gearhead

Offer it at $35k as is. Fix little stuff while waiting for the right buyer. Be negotiable on price but the guy who low balls you without even seeing it or a ppi is a tire kicker or dealer. Be patient.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 10-26-2019, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Guards red is my favorite color for a 911. My car is black and I love that also. In the mid 80’s Red was the color for a 911. Flesh colored tans weird greens or browns i Would never even consider. I would pay more for a guards red 911.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
Guards red is my favorite color for a 911. My car is black and I love that also. In the mid 80ís Red was the color for a 911. Flesh colored tans weird greens or browns i Would never even consider. I would pay more for a guards red 911.
We need lots more guys like this.
That way all the odd colors I like will be discounted rather than sold at a premium.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Go ahead and keep your ugly copper, Flesh, dark brown , copper again , purple, lime green light brown. Ferrari sells every red car they make.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Ferrari sells every red car they make.
So if I understand correctly, you are saying red looks good when itís sitting in the garage under a cover. Makes sense.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
You are just being difficult on purpose. Thousands of people on this forum have a beautiful guards red car. I know what you are doing. To most owners, guards red is the best color. But a minority of you with ugly cars have tried to turn it around. I feel a nice red 85 911 Will sell faster than a nasty sand colored car. Or, GAK!....brown.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
"I'll take any color...except red" said a noticeable pool of prospective buyers
Old 10-27-2019, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

gearhead

There seems to be a sort of age cut off. Over 45ish think GR is generic. Under 45ish they think it’s representative of all the reasons a guy wants an old 911 to show off at cars n coffee.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 10-27-2019, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
180k miles is a very hard sell.
What did you pay for it in 2016 ?
I am guessing $30k.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
You are just being difficult on purpose. Thousands of people on this forum have a beautiful guards red car. I know what you are doing. To most owners, guards red is the best color. But a minority of you with ugly cars have tried to turn it around. I feel a nice red 85 911 Will sell faster than a nasty sand colored car. Or, GAK!....brown.
Red sells slower than the greens, yellow, blue etc. My experience.
I have two black cars a white one and a red one, I got a green car and it is amazing how much more love/desire it gets over identical black or even a better red one.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Old 10-28-2019, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
There seems to be a sort of age cut off. Over 45ish think GR is generic. Under 45ish they think itís representative of all the reasons a guy wants an old 911 to show off at cars n coffee.
Funny that you say that, because I'm definitely in the under 45 demographic, and specifically sought out a red 911. I love red 911's.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Troll Hunter

Garage
That car will sell in a heartbeat. Looks good.

Price it right and have all your maintenance records ready. At $30 it'll fly away. At $35K it might take some time.

Usually your first (real) buyer is your best buyer. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2019, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post

Usually your first (real) buyer is your best buyer. Good luck!
In a down market, this is absolutely the best advice a seller can use.
And yet advice that is most often ignored by sellers.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
180k miles is a very hard sell.
What did you pay for it in 2016 ?
I am guessing $30k.
To be fair, the high mileage and color are probably turn-offs to the same crowd, the "collector" market isn't going to be interested in one of the most common years in the most common color.

If I sell this car, I expect it would interest the same kind of buyer as me...someone who loves the idea of having an air-cooled that they can drive without worry. It isn't going to appeal to someone who wants to rub it with a diaper and keep it under a cover in their garage.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: