Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
gearhead

You can educate away ignorance but you can’t fix stupid.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-08-2019, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
You can educate away ignorance but you canít fix stupid.
Yeah, but it was worth a try.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 11-08-2019, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Total waste of time, Adam. It's Sugardope after all.

Join our elite "Ignore" group. For no money down, Sugardope puts you on his "Ignore" list, can't see your posts and never bothers you again!

I'm a proud member!
I was wondering, how does one actually know they are on another's ignore list?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911heaven View Post
I was wondering, how does one actually know they are on another's ignore list?
Suga likes to announce it, like he's punishing us. Otherwise there's no way to tell.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-09-2019, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
I'm sure Suga's a smart dude, don't underestimate him !
Old 11-09-2019, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
I'm sure Suga's a smart dude, don't underestimate him !
Not so sure about that Max. He couldn't even figure out how to hook up jumper cables to his car.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Not so sure about that Max. He couldn't even figure out how to hook up jumper cables to his car.
That's a good one you could dig up Sean! Problem is it was on the Tech forum last year? (can't remember exactly). I taught Sugar how to start a car in the WILD without jumper cables. It's all intuition, and just experiential. Actually, that was the first time I've ever done that, but I did it in 10 minutes flat because I was in a hurry to get home, but didn't want to leave the boys stranded all night with a dead battery, the 4 sons and eight parents who would be worried sick. They weren't my students, but they are now, and they were very attentive and thankful.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
So is it still worth adding answers to the original question or? Heck with it, my vote goes to the Pontiac Fiero.

I'll wait until the laughing stops...

... waiting

... waiting

... waiting

OK, I'll talk over the laughing to make my case. Firstly, it's an oddball design for an American manufacturer... one of a kind until the recent C8 Corvette in fact. Similar to the Corvette, it didn't share its platform with any of its other GM siblings. They were very popular when they were new so there should be a lot of pent up nostalgia for the cars. They are also still dirt cheap. Well, very nice examples of the best versions are now bringing somewhat decent money on BaT and other places but read "decent" as $10,000 +/- a grand or two. Cheap. And clean ones are few and far between... when was the last time that you saw one? They are surprisingly fun to drive, even the seriously underpowered 4 cylinder 4-speed early cars... a later V6 5-speed can actually be described as "sporty"! The 1988 model year V6 cars (GT, Formula) are in a class of their own having finally received the proprietary suspension they should have had from Day 1. These are the cars that see the most interest and money today, and would make the best investment if that's what you're after.

Maybe I'm just looking at them through my personal Gen-X rose-tinted 80's Max Headroom glasses but they are pretty cool cars, especially for the money. YMMV.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by exc911ence View Post
So is it still worth adding answers to the original question or? Heck with it, my vote goes to the Pontiac Fiero.

I'll wait until the laughing stops...

... waiting

... waiting

... waiting

OK, I'll talk over the laughing to make my case. Firstly, it's an oddball design for an American manufacturer... one of a kind until the recent C8 Corvette in fact. Similar to the Corvette, it didn't share its platform with any of its other GM siblings. They were very popular when they were new so there should be a lot of pent up nostalgia for the cars. They are also still dirt cheap. Well, very nice examples of the best versions are now bringing somewhat decent money on BaT and other places but read "decent" as $10,000 +/- a grand or two. Cheap. And clean ones are few and far between... when was the last time that you saw one? They are surprisingly fun to drive, even the seriously underpowered 4 cylinder 4-speed early cars... a later V6 5-speed can actually be described as "sporty"! The 1988 model year V6 cars (GT, Formula) are in a class of their own having finally received the proprietary suspension they should have had from Day 1. These are the cars that see the most interest and money today, and would make the best investment if that's what you're after.

Maybe I'm just looking at them through my personal Gen-X rose-tinted 80's Max Headroom glasses but they are pretty cool cars, especially for the money. YMMV.

My father always said -- a dog is a dog! He always said that talking about the current pet living in or outside the house, as if he could out live it. He's 81 years old now, and whenever I get home to visit he will still say the same thing. You won't change his mind no matter what you say. A dog is a dog, it's just a dog as he would/will say. I kind of trust his gut wisdom.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Ok, I'll go. $5k to spend. What car guy car do you buy?

Ok no Porsche in good running order can be had for under $10,000..

Honestly today youíre $20,000+

25 years ago when I first got in the Porsche hobby a solid 944 could be bought for $5000.

That was 25 years ago..

Realistically any Porsche under $20,000 is going to have issues..

Also a good 944 (one I would have) is about $20,000

So.. $20,000 is the new $5000

Just as $100,000 is the new $50,000

Time moves on money is not what it was a quarter century ago..

Last edited by 93097004xx; 11-29-2019 at 08:06 AM..
Old 11-29-2019, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Did you actually have something to say? Say something? Money depreciates... cars do too! Some don't depreciate as much though. Some or many 911's do quite well..
Old 11-29-2019, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by exc911ence View Post
my vote goes to the Pontiac Fiero.
How is parts availability ?
That is always the #1 question to ask first.

98hp is a bit weak, and the car has zero collector legacy.
Let's not forget the massive recall due to engine bay fires.

I think an MR2 would be a better choice in that category.
RX7 really stole the show during this era.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Acura RSX Type S
Old 11-29-2019, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
How is parts availability ?
That is always the #1 question to ask first.

98hp is a bit weak, and the car has zero collector legacy.
Let's not forget the massive recall due to engine bay fires.

I think an MR2 would be a better choice in that category.
RX7 really stole the show during this era.
Parts availability is actually quite good. Being a parts-bin car, there is lots of interchangeability between different GM models and years... what's not available through GM is easily accessible through the aftermarket. The Fiero Store specializes in the cars (obviously) and has a vast array of products on offer.

The fire issue was way overblown, and is now caught up in typical internet hysteria and fear-mongering. The actual number of cars that burned up was tiny compared to how many were produced. The recall did do major damage to the car's reputation though for sure. Could be why they're such a good value today!

The MR2 was always the better car, no arguments from me, but they're already caught in the wave of fast-rising Japanese sportscar values. And they were serious rust buckets.

RX7? You'd have to be a real rotary enthusiast to take one of these on longterm plus again, you'll likely have a difficult time finding a good one under your $5000 price cap.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
What a slap in the face!
Old 11-30-2019, 01:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, Pontiac has not existed for 10 years.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The Porsche I love hasn't existed for longer than that.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Thatís just branding.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-30-2019, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
War Vet

Garage
I agree the last year Pontiac Fiero was a lot of car for the money; that and the IROC_Z were the two cars that were popular when I was in HS.. Of course the 928 S4 and 930 were top of my list. Iíve owned both the latter.

Iíve seen a few decent Fiero GTís on CL for under $5K and considered picking one up for ****s and giggles.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
gearhead

There’s one around here with the Testarossa body kit. Guy drives it daily.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-30-2019, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: