Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Will Greta make an impact on our hobby?

Well, not her personally but the “climate crisis” movement.

Internal combustion engined cars will be around for a long time, of course, but will “noisy, smelly old sports cars” be perceived as part of bigger problem - adding carbon unnecessarily to our environment? I think the idea is far-fetched but the whole Flygskam movement in Scandinavia makes one wonder. Will the Gretas of the world attempt to shame people out of ICE sports cars?

Last edited by KNS; 11-04-2019 at 09:00 AM..
Old 11-04-2019, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
gearhead

Hello parf...
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-04-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
Well, not her personally but the “climate crisis” movement.

Internal combustion engined cars will be around for a long time, of course, but will “noisy, smelly old sports cars” be perceived as part of bigger problem - adding carbon unnecessarily to our environment? I think the idea is far-fetched but the whole Flygskam movement in Scandinavia makes one wonder. Will the Gretas of the world attempt to shame people out of ICE sports cars?
I don't hang around parf so this no fly movement is quite interesting to hear about.

Noisy and smelly does not have to be part and parcel of the classic 911 experience unless one is a troglodyte. My 87 smells great !
Old 11-04-2019, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

True enough, nothing smelled better than my old 87. Like a mix of horsehair and oil. It smelled amazing.

But yes, if everything goes well, our hobby will eventually become obsolete. It may take a generation or two, but it'll happen. It should if we want to be good stewards of the future.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I stay out of PARF so it didn’t even occur to me to post there. Moderators please move if that is the case.

I do think this is something that could possibly impact values of all classic cars, though.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
I stay out of PARF so it didnít even occur to me to post there. Moderators please move if that is the case.
Ignore MM's comment.

Quote:
I do think this is something that could possibly impact values of all classic cars, though.
Absolutely.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

My 1987 gets 9-12 mpg in city type driving (a lot worse when boosting a lot), so by volume of fuel used, it qualifies as a bonified gross polluter, regardless of how the tailpipe smells at idle. Biggly yuuuugggeeee carbon footprint.

And then there is my 1990 DMFI diesel that gets 7 mpg! I suck for the environment!
Old 11-04-2019, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
I stay out of PARF so it didnít even occur to me to post there. Moderators please move if that is the case.

Kurt, Iím not trying to be critical of your topic. Iím just saying it is really loaded with politics and people tend to have STRONG opinions on the topic. Greta is a trigger word to my conservative friends. They HATE her. I could see this thread off the rails pretty easily. Thatís all.

Carry on.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-04-2019, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

No problem, Matt.

I think itís a worthy discussion here *if* the politics can stay out of the conversation.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Zero effect. I think a healthy percentage of the population will always appreciate old cars. I am still pleasantly surprised when a 12-15 year old knows what a 930 is.

My Duramax Suburban, well that is a bit different.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Kind of Blue

Garage
I believe the transition to EVs will be gradual and the US is unlikely to legislate them off the roads like Norway has. I imagine there will always be a market for them, but maybe in a few decades there will be far fewer gas stations and parts to service them.

Some companies are already creating EV conversion kits for classics so I imagine that will become more popular with time but I believe that these cars will be like the steam-engined vehicles you see at car show: Used sparingly and largely for special event purposes.

Now Porsche-less for the time being.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Greta is stuck in the Atlantic ocean right now.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/greta-thunberg-cop25-climate-change-madrid-chile-protests-latest-a9183071.html

If only there were some sort of method by which one could get from Europe to S. America and back in a matter of hours instead of weeks.....some day we may get there.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
Greta is stuck in the Atlantic ocean right now.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/greta-thunberg-cop25-climate-change-madrid-chile-protests-latest-a9183071.html

If only there were some sort of method by which one could get from Europe to S. America and back in a matter of hours instead of weeks.....some day we may get there.
See what I was saying? Some people just canít control themselves and stay away from the political posts.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-05-2019, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Kurt, I’m not trying to be critical of your topic. I’m just saying it is really loaded with politics and people tend to have STRONG opinions on the topic. Greta is a trigger word to my conservative friends. They HATE her. I could see this thread off the rails pretty easily. That’s all.

Carry on.
Ha ha - fear the teenage girl! Man that's funny (not the least bit surprising, however)!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Of course people's concern for the environment will effect hobby cars, it already has, since 1967.
The main reason fuel injection is common place today is because of environmental concerns, the HP. benefit was secondary.
Nothing new here, more of the same and frankly cars are better for it in many ways and yeah worse in others.
Internal combustion hobby cars will not be outlawed and air will be getting cleaner, this has been happing for years and it is a good thing.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Kind of Blue

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
Of course people's concern for the environment will effect hobby cars, it already has, since 1967.
The main reason fuel injection is common place today is because of environmental concerns, the HP. benefit was secondary.
Nothing new here, more of the same and frankly cars are better for it in many ways and yeah worse in others.
Internal combustion hobby cars will not be outlawed and air will be getting cleaner, this has been happing for years and it is a good thing.
Hah, good point. Many of the efficiency improvements were really environmental mandates and standards.

Direct injection turbocharged cars make savage power and all in the name of fuel efficiency standards.

Now Porsche-less for the time being.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
I say engine tech would have gone fuel injection on its own regardless of the env laws due to the power and weight (read safety) race. MFI is an example.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
I say engine tech would have gone fuel injection on its own regardless of the env laws due to the power and weight (read safety) race. MFI is an example.
MFI on Porsches was done to meet emission laws.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

CIS had to have been created solely to meet emissions regs; no other explaination for the creation of a system who's sole purpose is to make the engine run as lean as possible at idle and part throttle.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
CIS had to have been created solely to meet emissions regs; no other explaination for the creation of a system who's sole purpose is to make the engine run as lean as possible at idle and part throttle.
Absolutely and it was cheaper than MFI
Old 11-06-2019, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: