Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What time of Year is Best to Sell?

I am appealing to the Pelican Braintrust who have sold many cars over the years.

I have built a 1981 SC over the last few years, dealt with many great vendors, met many of the finest people in the industry who that have helped contribute to my car and I've decided to do it all again with a new to me 92 964.

So, I now need to transition the 81 to its next custodian.

When is the best time of year to sell our cars? I want to maximize exposure (and return) and reach as many potential buyers as possible.

Is it best to wait and hold the car for a Spring 2020 posting?

A BAT listing?

Open to any suggestions and experienced guidance.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

We don't sell anything between Thanksgiving and March/April. People are too caught up with the holidays to be serious about buying Porsches this time of year. Hold until Spring is my advice.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 11-04-2019, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Kind of Blue

Garage
April and on. Even if you're in the mid-atlantic or northeast, you're reaching driving season by then.
1973 Ford F100 4x4 Short Bed
Old 11-05-2019, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
gearhead

Hold.

And consider putting stock seats and wheels back on the car if you still have them.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-05-2019, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Where is the car located? Are you trying to sell your car regionally or nationally?

The good driving season is just now starting in Texas, the Southwest, Florida and the Deep South. Their 90-100 degree weather is over. Itís year round on the West Coast.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What are those seats, and from where? I kind of like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A 911 Dream View Post
I am appealing to the Pelican Braintrust who have sold many cars over the years.

I have built a 1981 SC over the last few years,

Old 11-05-2019, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Cornerlot.

I bought the Recaros online from a guy in Taiwan. Sorry, I don't have any other detail?

I've never seen a similar set anywhere else but I really like them too - super supportive, comfortable and the seat pattern is a little "Ferrari-esque".

Chris
Old 11-05-2019, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerlot View Post
What are those seats, and from where? I kind of like them.
Recaro LXC often seen on ebay but you need to check because a lot of fakes out there.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=A 911 Dream;10646788]I am appealing to the Pelican Braintrust who have sold many cars over the years.

I have built a 1981 SC over the last few years, dealt with many great vendors, met many of the finest people in the industry who that have helped contribute to my car and I've decided to do it all again with a new to me 92 964.

So, I now need to transition the 81 to its next custodian.

When is the best time of year to sell our cars? I want to maximize exposure (and return) and reach as many potential buyers as possible.

Is it best to wait and hold the car for a Spring 2020 posting?

A BAT listing?

Open to any suggestions and experienced guidance.

Any car priced right will sell. So i'm guessing you're asking where you will get the highest return ?
What do you think the car is worth or put it another way whats the reserve that you would take because that would determine the TTS & venue. Not really enough info on the car to determine what's been done but with mechanicals addressed I think you might get $25 - 28k

Reality is the market is very soft and factory stock is in vogue. Plus with a recession looming I don't think there is much point waiting to see if you can squeeze 1-2k more.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A 911 Dream View Post
Thanks Cornerlot.

I bought the Recaros online from a guy in Taiwan. Sorry, I don't have any other detail?

I've never seen a similar set anywhere else but I really like them too - super supportive, comfortable and the seat pattern is a little "Ferrari-esque".

Chris
Could it have been Thailand? A seller from there was selling custom Recaro seats on a BMW 2002 forum. I too have never seen another set with this same pattern and grommets too, similar to a Ferrari Daytona look.

Steve
Old 11-05-2019, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Steve,

It might have been Thailand. Sorry, it was some time ago.

The seats look and feel great - I really enjoy them and they're a perfect fit for my frame. 6'5" / 225 lbs

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to everyone with their comments on sale timing and guidance.

As some of you have sent me PMs I wanted to share some of the details.

My SC has received contributions from many of the regular Pelican posters and vendors.

Engine has been converted to PMO ITBs, Rasant / AEM EFi with Web Cams - engine built by Al Kosmal.

Complete 915 rebuild by John Walker's Workshop.

Interior installed by Bob @ Classic 9 in Detroit including German squareweave, fresh headliner, panel recovering etc.

Sunroof delete panel from Fenn Lane UK.

Front, rear and duck from EB Motorsports in the UK. I bought these before Rothsport began to carry their product.

New Eibach adjustable Sways - thanks to Ryan @ Eibach.

All Suspension tuning including alignment and corner balance by Jeff Alton @ Turn 3 Motorsports in Vancouver.

LED headlights from Fozzy on Pelican.

I'm considering the listing options and timing. I really appreciate the input.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I realize that modified 911s are all personal preference but IMO that is a gorgeous build - except for the BBS wheels. If I were a buyer I'd be significantly more inclined if it had a set of Fuchs on it than with the mesh BBS wheels.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I realize that modified 911s are all personal preference but IMO that is a gorgeous build - except for the BBS wheels. If I were a buyer I'd be significantly more inclined if it had a set of Fuchs on it than with the mesh BBS wheels.

Agreed. A nice set of Fuchs would transform the car. Its a beautiful car but the BBS wheels draw too much attention away from it.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S 997.2 (SOLD)
Old 11-07-2019, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Funny - I like the wheels but not the color.
Strange how people’s tastes differ.
OP - GLWS
Old 11-07-2019, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Ditch those Autozone wheels for maximum resale!

Old 11-07-2019, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: