Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Average cars will continue to sell at average prices. Cars with rare colors, rare color combinations, rare options, low production and excellent conditions will probably always command a premium. Regardless of what the naysayers think.
I agree.

I do not understand how someone feels that if a mediocre car sells for $25,000..... that is the market ......or if a car sells for $50,000 that's the market. Why is so hard to understand that a market and buyers both can discriminate as to characteristics.

Now Howard.... my math depends upon the cars in the sample group....

Last edited by Macroni; 12-01-2019 at 03:12 AM..
Old 11-30-2019, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #301 (permalink)

How is this hacked up SC transformed into a 72 as high as it is. So much illegal crap and displaying it for the world to see.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/backdated-1981-porsche-911-14/
Old 12-02-2019, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #302 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH77 View Post
How is this hacked up SC transformed into a 72 as high as it is. So much illegal crap and displaying it for the world to see.

Explain why is this illegal it used to be common practice.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #303 (permalink)

Quote:

Hell Iím intrigued.....whatís illegal about it?
Old 12-02-2019, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #304 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
Explain why is this illegal it used to be common practice.
Transferring a VIN from 1 chassis to another is illegal. It may have been common, but that doesn't make it legal.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #305 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Transferring a VIN from 1 chassis to another is illegal. It may have been common, but that doesn't make it legal.
Can you cite code?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #306 (permalink)

Quote:
Can you cite code?
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum= 10751.

VIN switching was very common with motorcycles in California and was a common way to sell stolen motorcycles.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #307 (permalink)

Quote:
As long as they are not trying to pass it off as a 72 using the vin from the 72 itís completely legal. The legality is in the fraud..which the seller is not doing. Receipts should show where the front clip came from. In fact it probably would have been illegal to grind off the vin from the front clip, which is not the case. So there is no issue with the car.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #308 (permalink)

Quote:
So there is no issue with the car.
I wouldn't go that far, plenty of issues with the car. Like a salvage title car, if someone knows the story and can stomach it, then I guess buy it. But this one has got plenty of baggage, make no mistake.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 12-02-2019, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #309 (permalink)

Did you look at the listing? They're selling it as a 72, they have removed the A-pillar 1981 VIN tag and the lower dash numbers. The part about removing the lower dash stampings is what really makes the whole thing stink. There's no reason to do that unless they're trying to hide the original 1981 VIN number. Just because the seller is being partially honest about it doesn't make it legal.

Quote:
As long as they are not trying to pass it off as a 72 using the vin from the 72 itís completely legal. The legality is in the fraud..which the seller is not doing. Receipts should show where the front clip came from. In fact it probably would have been illegal to grind off the vin from the front clip, which is not the case. So there is no issue with the car.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #310 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
I wouldn't go that far, plenty of issues with the car. Like a salvage title car, if someone knows the story and can stomach it, then I guess buy it. But this one has got plenty of baggage, make no mistake.

---Adam
Agree. Dodgy at best. Happening on BaT right now with another car, a 73 2002 tii.
Some people just don't care.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #311 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Agree. Dodgy at best. Happening on BaT right now with another car, a 73 2002 tii.
Some people just don't care.
The reason I brought up the salvage title car thing was because if you buy a car like this you have to remember that the killer deal you got is the same killer deal you'll have to give the next guy. I've tried to buy too many cars from guys who buy a car with heavy baggage and then get amnesia when it comes time to sell, telling you what Hagerty says it's worth. Like a B Cab I was going to buy once, had a 13XXX VIN, which is a replacement chassis, my detective work was that it was originally a Notchback, wrecked back, went back to the Factory, who sent it back out a cab. All well and good, but it will never bring regular cab money, too much baggage.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 12-02-2019, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #312 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
There seems to be a dislike of BaT in particular and auction sites in general. Why? As the owner of an old SC, I am quite happy to see that the cars still bring a lot of money. If you're not in the market, why do the auction results create such disparagement?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #313 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hope View Post
There seems to be a dislike of BaT in particular and auction sites in general. Why? As the owner of an old SC, I am quite happy to see that the cars still bring a lot of money. If you're not in the market, why do the auction results create such disparagement?
Basically all the same problems you would expect to see when remotely purchasing a previously owned item. Additionally, there is BaT pressuring sellers to lower their reserves so that more cars sell (generating more fees).
Old 12-02-2019, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #314 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post

---Adam
Hey maybe you're right. If seller doesn't supply both titles then it becomes a buyer beware issue. Some States would just title the car with no issues, some States don't even offer a title for older cars while other Sates might give you a hard time. This is a sale that requires the right paperwork. It's nuts that so much work went into a car with questionable history. Hopefully the seller has the title to both cars.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #315 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
"A chassis plate from a donor 1972 911T has been installed".

Sounds clear enough.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #316 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Orange went for $50K.

The 5 mph test drive must be a joke.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #317 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum= 10751.

VIN switching was very common with motorcycles in California and was a common way to sell stolen motorcycles.
From code:
unless the vehicle or component part has attached thereto an identification number assigned or approved by the department in lieu of the manufacturerís number.

I would think approved by the department is critical here....
Old 12-02-2019, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #318 (permalink)

Amateur

Garage
911 1976.5

$120K and counting
Old 12-02-2019, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #319 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Lots of bitter people here. They hate progress and techno. They hate the youth. Same old ****.

BAT represents irrational mania, yet the same people will tell people to go buy a car from Porsche magazines like excellence ... Even worse crack pipe prices there. LOL

They don't understand that internet auctions have more viewers than a local pennysaver ad. And will have higher prices for convenience. Not everyone wants to drive 6 hours inspecting cars. It's called **** you money.

They all also hate Craigslist. I just bought a great car this weekend from a great seller on CL.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #320 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: