Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
The reason I brought up the salvage title car thing was because if you buy a car like this you have to remember that the killer deal you got is the same killer deal you'll have to give the next guy. I've tried to buy too many cars from guys who buy a car with heavy baggage and then get amnesia when it comes time to sell, telling you what Hagerty says it's worth. Like a B Cab I was going to buy once, had a 13XXX VIN, which is a replacement chassis, my detective work was that it was originally a Notchback, wrecked back, went back to the Factory, who sent it back out a cab. All well and good, but it will never bring regular cab money, too much baggage.

---Adam
Or is it too much cabbage?
Old 12-02-2019, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #321 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Lots of bitter people here. They hate progress and techno. They hate the youth. Same old ****.

BAT represents irrational mania, yet the same people will tell people to go buy a car from Porsche magazines like excellence ... Even worse crack pipe prices there. LOL

They don't understand that internet auctions have more viewers than a local pennysaver ad. And will have higher prices for convenience. Not everyone wants to drive 6 hours inspecting cars. It's called **** you money.

They all also hate Craigslist. I just bought a great car this weekend from a great seller on CL.
Let me help you out here.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #322 (permalink)

Garage
The BAT hate reminds me of an clueless friend of mine who always emailed listings of cars for sale at dealerships.
Every time, he would say what a rip-off price the dealer was asking.

The guy doesn't understand what a dealer's business model is.
I told him to stop shopping at dealers because you don't get private party prices at dealers.

People pay a premium for used car at a dealer for the convenience of browsing in a parking lot.
If you want to private party bargain stop going to the f****** dealer.
Pick up the phone and start going on weekend drives out of state for 6 months until you find your precious deal !

Last edited by sugarwood; 12-03-2019 at 05:00 AM..
Old 12-02-2019, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #323 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
IMO, Conti Orange and condition sold this car.....
Especially the (mostly) original paint, as claimed.

Condition is driver ... "patina" plus other interesting details...
Old 12-02-2019, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #324 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Lots of bitter people here. They hate progress and techno. They hate the youth. Same old ****.

. . . .

It's amusing to see that on display in OT - whether it be music, cars, lifestyle choices, family living arrangements, the interests of youths, vices, etc., if it's not dinosaur era, it's not worth shiit on a shingle!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #325 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Another ...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-porsche-carrera-2-13/
Old 12-02-2019, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #326 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hope View Post
There seems to be a dislike of BaT in particular and auction sites in general. Why? As the owner of an old SC, I am quite happy to see that the cars still bring a lot of money. If you're not in the market, why do the auction results create such disparagement?
The other issue is that in any marketplace there will be good and bad examples. Some people are convinced BAT is a conspiracy that covers up flaws in cars by censoring the comments section. I no longer view BAT auctions and delete the emails, so I can't comment on that.

But, the haters are convinced that all cars on BAT are frauds, all prices paid on BAT are 50% above market price, and that Ebay is crap, CL is crap, and the only way to buy a used car is to troll PCA mags/events or one buy off Pelican forums (Yea, because people have reasonable asking prices at PCA events, LMAO) It is some form of old age paranoia and suspicion that is deep rooted in all aspects of life.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #327 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
There’s a huge premium on C2, non-sunroof manual transmission cars
Old 12-03-2019, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #328 (permalink)
gearhead

2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 12-03-2019, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #329 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
I've had good luck with some venues. On eBay I bought a one year old, 4,000m BMW 328x at a 35% discount from new. Flew into Ohio, did the deal exactly as agreed upon, and drove home to RI.

Bought two 356s at auction at Monterey Car Week, the first was good timing when I landed a sweet B before the Porsche market really exploded. I auctioned it the next year, same venue, and netted almost $10k, which I put towards a C. The C is gone, four years later I sold it on Hemmings website, not their auction. Up a bit but basically broke even.

A few years later my auction experience wasn't as good:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/classic-car-auctions-bidder-beware-a-tale-of-a-lesson-learned.1278337/

I sold a Fiat 124 spider on BaT, and that went smooth as can be. And, I recently bought an '80 911 Targa on BaT, which also went as planned. So, I don't have any beef with some of these venues. But, Buyer Beware.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #330 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
high hope def got the boldened font memo.
(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #331 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The other issue is that in any marketplace there will be good and bad examples. Some people are convinced BAT is a conspiracy that covers up flaws in cars by censoring the comments section. I no longer view BAT auctions and delete the emails, so I can't comment on that.

But, the haters are convinced that all cars on BAT are frauds, all prices paid on BAT are 50% above market price, and that Ebay is crap, CL is crap, and the only way to buy a used car is to troll PCA mags/events or one buy off Pelican forums (Yea, because people have reasonable asking prices at PCA events, LMAO) It is some form of old age paranoia and suspicion that is deep rooted in all aspects of life.
Funny you say that. I found you to be one of the biggest rah rahs on BaT for a long time. Pushing junk cars as cars of value. I have looked over nearly 50 cars sold on BaT in person many 964's but many other marques as well. For some reason many of them end up around me. Of all the cars I would say less than 5 were as advertised and were worth spending money on. Even the best were so so and the sellers obviously stretched to say the least the truth. We can go back to the turd widebody conversion with decals you raved so much about. That car would have been worth something if it was left alone. Instead the more money than brains club purchased it for double its value I can only assume to make a point. There is no way that car will ever fetch close to what it sold for.

I know the sister of the red Japanese import that pmax linked to on BaT sold by the same seller who has rave reviews by the BaT clan. The car was completely misrepresented. The 1 mil paint reading was actually 11 when I checked the car out and it had some seriously bad and quite obvious to the unknowing, paintwork. The owner is into the car for nearly $30k over what he paid for it and it still needs work. I can go down the list of a number of these and some were so bad that even $50k of money thrown at it still makes it a car that even Singer would pass on and yes BaT did cleanse some of the comments that should have remained. I can't imagine the advice you give to lurkers who haven't a clue I wouldn't trust what you have to say. You have on many occasions proven you don't have a clue.

I know a lot of private sellers and dealers and if you think what is paid for on BaT is too much you may be right although the cars I see sold privately with 0-little needs are selling for considerably more than anything on BaT. The difference is they spend $80-100k on an average mile 964 C2 coupe and have a later MY car that is in like new condition with little to no expense needed to fix up the crap people are not disclosing on BaT and other platforms.

So you can call me a hater I just call it the facts and yours IMO are skewed considerably.

Last edited by Cobalt; 12-03-2019 at 08:47 AM..
Old 12-03-2019, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #332 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
high hope def got the boldened font memo.
I figured that no one would be interested in such a long post. So, I highlighted the venues that might be on interest, maybe one or two will read the whole thing.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #333 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
kinda an inside joke around these parts regarding ponyboy911sc/mr. miagi/tony of CIS guru fame and his "drive the point home" use of the bold font...
(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #334 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
kinda an inside joke around these parts regarding ponyboy911sc/mr. miagi/tony of CIS guru fame and his "drive the point home" use of the bold font...
ok, now i get it. I''m having a Bubba Burger.With onions, lots of onions. Hence, my grammar may be unusual.

Last edited by High Hope; 12-04-2019 at 09:20 AM..
Old 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #335 (permalink)

Quote:
But, the haters are convinced that all cars on BAT are frauds, all prices paid on BAT are 50% above market price, and that Ebay is crap, CL is crap, and the only way to buy a used car is to troll PCA mags/events or one buy off Pelican forums...
A veritable army of straw men. You're not very good at this, are you?
Old 12-03-2019, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #336 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Funny you say that. I found you to be one of the biggest rah rahs on BaT for a long time. Pushing junk cars as cars of value. I have looked over nearly 50 cars sold on BaT in person many 964's but many other marques as well. For some reason many of them end up around me. Of all the cars I would say less than 5 were as advertised and were worth spending money on. Even the best were so so and the sellers obviously stretched to say the least the truth. We can go back to the turd widebody conversion with decals you raved so much about. That car would have been worth something if it was left alone. Instead the more money than brains club purchased it for double its value I can only assume to make a point. There is no way that car will ever fetch close to what it sold for.

I know the sister of the red Japanese import that pmax linked to on BaT sold by the same seller who has rave reviews by the BaT clan. The car was completely misrepresented. The 1 mil paint reading was actually 11 when I checked the car out and it had some seriously bad and quite obvious to the unknowing, paintwork. The owner is into the car for nearly $30k over what he paid for it and it still needs work. I can go down the list of a number of these and some were so bad that even $50k of money thrown at it still makes it a car that even Singer would pass on and yes BaT did cleanse some of the comments that should have remained. I can't imagine the advice you give to lurkers who haven't a clue I wouldn't trust what you have to say. You have on many occasions proven you don't have a clue.

I know a lot of private sellers and dealers and if you think what is paid for on BaT is too much you may be right although the cars I see sold privately with 0-little needs are selling for considerably more than anything on BaT. The difference is they spend $80-100k on an average mile 964 C2 coupe and have a later MY car that is in like new condition with little to no expense needed to fix up the crap people are not disclosing on BaT and other platforms.

So you can call me a hater I just call it the facts and yours IMO are skewed considerably.
Anthony,

His repeated contrarian rants and contradictions along with his abnormal hatred of everyone over the age of his own, spells troll. He thrives on controversy while being wholly ignorant.

It's difficult to understand. Ever emphatic on a subject he's ignorant.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #337 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Such as, you are a provocateur and a trouble maker!
Old 12-03-2019, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #338 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Such as, you are a provocateur and a trouble maker!
The good ole' times !
Old 12-03-2019, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #339 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post

Seems like they mentioned paint flaws in the text and showed the paint meter readings on this car (shows 10 not 1). I was surprised this car sold for so much, but then again allot of people have bought into the 964 hype recently and look past possible issues even if there clear warning signs.

The presentations on all the cars that importer/seller posts on BAT are no bueno. Putting a car on a lift, taking professional photos and detailing a car isn't that tough/costly. But then again I guess the seller doesn't need to do these things after scrolling through his past auctions prices.

https://bringatrailer.com/member/simsimma/
Old 12-03-2019, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #340 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: