Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
Bang for the buck....
Puhleez, Raw's the expert in "cheap action" cams, not you.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
Bang for the buck.... . . .
You just described how pNutz earns enough extra money to get his CIS and 915 components refurbished!
Old 11-16-2019, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
That would be wise, Tobs, as I wouldn't put it past ol' pNutz to strategically place a shiny new, Weber carb float on the ground, and then point it out when you two walk by (him a step behind you, of course )! I can hear it now; "Hey CC, wutz that"?!?!

As far as the iceberg treatment, Megan was probably scared off by your supersized, caveman club!
Having these weird hats on says it all !

Last edited by pmax; 11-17-2019 at 07:28 PM..
Old 11-17-2019, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

With those clear hats, soot and charring from intake backfires are clearly visible; I hear that is a sign of carbed machismo (same deal as with CIS airboxes which have been split open via backfires and then slathered back together with JB Weld)!!!
Old 11-17-2019, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Stained like these. That must be how the cave dwellers like them !

CIS systems, refined in comparison, simply refuse to run under such filthy conditions !

Last edited by pmax; 11-17-2019 at 08:31 PM..
Old 11-17-2019, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)

Garage
Just waded through this thread first time and thought it reminded me of the dinner scene on the movie Nothing but Trouble! Remember that one with Chevy Chase and Dan Akroid, even John Candy? Chevy Chase said -- you got enough vintage scrap cars outside to build several thousand Toyotas! You sould sell it all to the Japanese! Oh! Then you gotta hear Dan Akroid's response to that! As I say, similar arguments/discussion here. If I were internet savvy enough, I'd post that dinner scene here. Could someone help? Funny as hell and nostalgic.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Stained like these. That must be how the cave dwellers like them !

CIS systems, refined in comparison, simply refuse to run under such filthy conditions !
I apologize for my ignorance, but I still don't know what CIS system means. I guess I never had one. Does it mean Carburator Induction System? I could use a little education so I can get the Raw, Tobs joke on the Pnutz. Thanks for any help...
Old 11-18-2019, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)

Garage
Constant Injection System by Bosch, 'CIS'
It was a early, relatively inexpensive fuel injection system specifically designed for gas engines.
It constantly squirts fuel into the intake system right before the intake valve. Hence the name.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
It was a early, relatively inexpensive fuel injection system specifically designed for gas engines.
It constantly squirts fuel into the intake system right before the intake valve. Hence the name.
Thank you ficke! So I still wonder why pmax is so hell bent on such a system. Does he have 50 of them in stock and for sale?
Old 11-18-2019, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)

Garage
I have no idea what drives pmax. I am not sure he knows.
Each of the these induction systems have pros and cons, the main driver of the CIS system was to meet the standards of the new emission laws. The Mechanical Fuel Injection, MFI, that preceded it was a modification of a diesel injection system, it was more expensive more temperamental and does not have the durability of the CIS system but it was better for performance.
Now we of course use computer controlled Electronic Fuel injection, EFI, systems, which are almost better in every way, they are constantly adjusting for fuel quality, air density, engine temp, etc. all the time except for the complication and reliability associated with the sensors and the quality of the electronics, EFI is hard to beat, kind of like a limp ..., well Ronny could explain that better.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Thread looks like it's done.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #171 (permalink)

Quote:
no way.

bump!...
Old 11-18-2019, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #172 (permalink)

gearhead

Quote:
OP hasnít been here in a few days. Let it drop.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-18-2019, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #173 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
This is what I am talking about, "threads looks like it is done" ? why? explain? what makes you say that?
Old 11-18-2019, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #174 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
I . . . EFI is hard to beat, kind of like a limp ..., well Ronny could explain that better.
All that takes to correct is a Blue Bomber or three (aka - boost!). At least that's what pNutz claims!

Bump!!!
Old 11-18-2019, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #175 (permalink)

Quote:
Mechanical fuel injection, 'K' stands for German: "Kontinuierlich", meaning continuous. Commonly called 'Continuous Injection System (CIS) in the USA.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #176 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Bernz, just to add a little to what IckyFicke and RawhideRey said about CIS (aka - Bosch K-Jetronic); pNutz is fond of the system because it is an old school (like his old ass!!!) injection system that performed well enough that it was on many European cars for decades (Porsche, Saab, Lamborghini, just to name a few, and hell, it was even on the snail slow Delorean with the Vulvo lawnmower engine). Also, that bisch pNutz has really studied the system over the past several years and is quite knowledgeable with regard to how it works, what the components are and do, and how to troubleshoot problems with it. Plus, Nutz is just weird like that!!!

CIS sux for several reasons, however. For one, it is entirely user untuneable in stock trim (except for idle AFR/CO level) - the only way for an owner to optimise the system is to have components re-engineered to be made adjustable. There are people that do this, but it is not cheap, and then learning to tune the system requires an onboard AFR meter and a lot of work and patience. Another suck is that even the slightest air leak anywhere in the intake tract (talking even a tiny, pNutz's d**k sized leak ) means the engine will run like an old dog with chronic explosive, and dribbling, diarrhea, and then locating said leaks (often many all throughout the system) is a real chore. Related to that suck, the non-Turbo 911 variants utilize a complex airbox that is made of fookin plastic which splits wide open (aka - rendered useless) if there is an intake backfire (not uncommon during cold startup on the non-Turbo systems).

All of the aircooled Turbos ran CIS (except for the 993TT), so I am very familiar with the pain in the assery of it, and have gone to a lot of effort and $$$ to be able to properly tune the system (does not supply enough fuel during boost to support a better turbocharger than the weezy piece of shiit that the cars came with, runs borderline too lean at idle, and dumps too much fuel at boost onset). I've also become pretty good at troubleshooting it, unfortunately! I don't have actual hate for the system, but I have no love for it either, and definitely like poking fun at how long Porsche continued to use it on the Turbos.

And then you have Toby, who ditched his CIS for and even ruder and cruder fuel system - Caveman Carbs!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 11-18-2019 at 11:22 PM..
Old 11-18-2019, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #177 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
This is what I am talking about, "threads looks like it is done" ? why? explain? what makes you say that?
well, ol seany-nutz will wait for it to fall to mid page two and bump it for no good reason other than the little chuckle it will give him thinking he's funny. he just wants it to fall so he can do his resurrections thing providing the subsequent erection such non-sense gives him..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Bernz, just to add a little to what IckyFicke and RawhideRey said about CIS (aka - Bosch K-Jetronic); pNutz is fond of the system because it is an old school (like his old ass!!!) injection system that performed well enough that it was on many European cars for decades (Porsche, Saab, Lamborghini, just to name a few, and hell, it was even on the snail slow Delorean with the Vulvo lawnmower engine). Also, that bisch pNutz has really studied the system over the past several years and is quite knowledgeable with regard to how it works, what the components are and do, and how to troubleshoot problems with it. Plus, Nutz is just weird like that!!!

CIS sux for several reasons, however. For one, it is entirely user untuneable in stock trim (except for idle AFR/CO level) - the only way for an owner to optimise the system is to have components re-engineered to be made adjustable. There are people that do this, but it is not cheap, and then learning to tune the system requires an onboard AFR meter and a lot of work and patience. Another suck is that even the slightest air leak anywhere in the intake tract (talking even a tiny, pNutz's d**k sized leak ) means the engine will run like an old dog with chronic explosive, and dribbling, diarrhea, and then locating said leaks (often many all throughout the system) is a real chore. Related to that suck, the non-Turbo 911 variants utilize a complex airbox that is made of fookin plastic which splits wide open (aka - rendered useless) if there is an intake backfire (not uncommon during cold startup on the non-Turbo systems).

All of the aircooled Turbos ran CIS (except for the 993TT), so I am very familiar with the pain in the assery of it, and have gone to a lot of effort and $$$ to be able to properly tune the system (does not supply enough fuel during boost to support a better turbocharger than the weezy piece of shiit that the cars came with, runs borderline too lean at idle, and dumps too much fuel at boost onset). I've also become pretty good at troubleshooting it, unfortunately! I don't have actual hate for the system, but I have no love for it either, and definitely like poking fun at how long Porsche continued to use it on the Turbos.

And then you have Toby, who ditched his CIS for and even ruder and cruder fuel system - Caveman Carbs!

that about sums it up. one thing I will hand to the CIS system was that it provided more HP from six flat cylinders than many V8's from US auto manufactures could muster in the mid to late 70's.

when seany-nutz does his CIS research and tuning this is what you will see.

(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 11-19-2019, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #178 (permalink)
gearhead

As a high altitude dweller, I can tell you that CIS is more flexible than both carbs and MFI in various altitudes. One can take the car from “down” here at 5000’, up over Vail Pass at double that, and then drive on to down near sea level in Vegas with no retune or drive ability issues.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-19-2019, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #179 (permalink)

Cis

I worked on a 76 934 that had CIS when I was a shop foreman for Herman & Miller P/A in 1976.Worked great and made about 490 HP.It new was a brand car.Fred
Old 11-19-2019, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #180 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: