Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Looking for opinions

Hello,
I currently own a 1988 911 that I truly love. I was thinking about adding a second, more modern, Porsche to the garage.
I am considering a 2015 981 Cayman as these models are the last of the 6-cylinder models and should hold their value.

I am curious what you think.

Thanks for your input,
Marc

Last edited by CaptainM; 05-02-2020 at 08:14 PM..
Old 05-01-2020, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainM View Post
Hello,
I currently own a 1988 911 that I truly love. I was thinking about adding a second, more modern, Porsche to the garage.
I am considering a 2015 981 Cayman as these models are the last of the 6-cylinder models and should hold their value.

I am curious what you think.

Thanks for your input,
Marc
My opinion: Buy what you want/like not what a stranger wants/likes. As for holding value, it's a used car for the next 10 years and will depreciate like all used cars do. In 20 years, it may become highly desirable it, may not. Nobody knows.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
have you gone and driven one yet? if not do so and check back so then we can tell you what your next move should be.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Pretty awesome modern Porsche IMO. Fast, highly capable, good driver comfort, and very reliable. Will you love it after owning an 88 Carrera? I have no idea.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

What else have you owned/driven? What is your daily driving like?
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-01-2020, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

The 981 S Cayman is a great car and will likely hold value or depreciate very little although by the time you factor in the upkeep, insurance and taxes you can’t consider any car an investment. But that’s not why we buy these cars.

Another model to consider if you like the styling is the 987.2 Cayman S, same engine and a solid history of being reliable.

2011 Boxster Spyder, Sport Buckets, MT, Full Leather, PSE
1990 964 C2 Targa, MT, Stone Grey, Cashmer
Old 05-09-2020, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Cayman = 275hp
Cayman S = 325hp
Cayman GTS = 340hp

The base Cayman is the best and probably lightest
The others are too fast to enjoy on roads
Faster cars will hold value better, however.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Cayman = 275hp
Cayman S = 325hp
Cayman GTS = 340hp

The base Cayman is the best and probably lightest
The others are too fast to enjoy on roads
Faster cars will hold value better, however.
Only when those roads are in a school zone shug. I guess when you canít afford the increased horsepower, you make up all sorts of excuses to yourself for why itís not needed.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
"I guess when you can’t afford the increased horsepower, you make up all sorts of excuses to yourself for why it’s not needed."

Or conversely, you need the extra power to make up for other personal inadequacies.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Do you drive the '88 911 daily? I have a 1977 911 Targa, trying to get it to the point where it could be my daily driver. For now, I have a 2011 Mustang V6 (the one with the newer aluminum 3.7L motor, 305 hp) that I love. It's got enough space for lots of groceries and stuff, even enough to go camping for a weekend with two other people. It's also comfortable as all heck, really cushy seating position, but not a thrill to drive.

If you were going to get a second car and you already have something fun, why not get something bigger/more practical/less expensive? Or did you want a second fast & fun car?
Old 05-10-2020, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBurroMXer View Post
"I guess when you canít afford the increased horsepower, you make up all sorts of excuses to yourself for why itís not needed."

Or conversely, you need the extra power to make up for other personal inadequacies.
Suga is our village idiot. Are you looking to steal his crown?
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-10-2020, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Only when those roads are in a school zone shug. I guess when you can’t afford the increased horsepower, you make up all sorts of excuses to yourself for why it’s not needed.
I've seen quite a few people who say the same thing Wood does about horsepower (usually in threads where people are gushing about the awesomeness of cars that would have a difficult time keeping up with someone on a bicycle ) and I just don't get it; you don't have to drive a high power car at anywhere near its max potential to enjoy a biggly power plant - even simple squirts past people on the highway, on highway on-ramps, etc. in a machine with actual power is enjoyable. Hell, driving around "normally" and knowing that I've got a grenade behind me is fun in it's own right. As far as I'm concerned, a momentum car is the last thing I want on the street, in terms of fun motoring.

This is definitely an each to their own subject, though, but sure fun to sling shiit about!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 05-10-2020 at 07:02 PM..
Old 05-10-2020, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Hi

Look at the Cayman R, thatís the car to own, to me the closes to holding it value the best

To me most of the late model cars are a bust...excepts are few Any usually based on amount built
Old 05-10-2020, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Meh, there’s only so much usable power for the street. Anything beyond 350 HP becomes an exercise in frustration unless you’re at the helm of a land yacht. Yeah you can have the occasional fun dropping the pedal and seeing everyone around you disappear but at least for me the real fun is being alone on some backroads connecting with the car and its capabilities.

Bottom line, go drive a couple of different examples and then decide, don’t let others tell you what’s best.

2011 Boxster Spyder, Sport Buckets, MT, Full Leather, PSE
1990 964 C2 Targa, MT, Stone Grey, Cashmer

Last edited by Marine Blue; 05-10-2020 at 07:26 PM..
Old 05-10-2020, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I got mixed on hp vs more hp

My 91 Porsche 911 is 246 hp, most of the time it’s ok
But it’s more handling in that car then speed

Then I say a 2007 997.1 GT3
It’s 405 hp and man that’s perfect, because it’s very responsive and fun, my buddy has a 991 Turbo S PDK 650hp it sucks to me
Old 05-10-2020, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
I've seen quite a few people who say the same thing Wood does about horsepower (usually in threads where people are gushing about the awesomeness of cars that would have a difficult time keeping up with someone on a bicycle ) and I just don't get it; you don't have to drive a high power car at anywhere near its max potential to enjoy a biggly power plant - even simple squirts past people on the highway, on highway on-ramps, etc. in a machine with actual power is enjoyable. Hell, driving around "normally" and knowing that I've got a grenade behind me is fun in it's own right. As far as I'm concerned, a momentum car is the last thing I want on the street, in terms of fun motoring.

This is definitely an each to their own subject, though, but sure fun to sling shiit about!
The people that make excuses for why they donít have more horsepower is because they bought a Poorsche.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
The people that make excuses for why they don’t have more horsepower is because they bought a Poorsche.
Just a couple of hours ago, I had a young guy pull along side of me in a Japanese sedan of some sort (maybe a Lexus . . . was a v6 car with loud, raspy exhaust) - he saw me up ahead, went screaming by and then slowed while madly throttle blipping in order to bait me into some silliness; I obliged by flooring it in second gear and literally peeling his paint off, with my car in a full squat. Not a heroic accomplishment, but it sure was amusing!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 05-10-2020 at 08:16 PM..
Old 05-10-2020, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Just a couple of hours ago, I had a young guy pull along side of me in a Japanese sedan of some sort (maybe a Lexus . . . was a v6 car with loud, raspy exhaust) - he saw me up ahead, went screaming by and then slowed while madly throttle blipping in order to bait me into some silliness; I obliged by flooring it in second gear and literally peeling his paint off, with my car in a full squat. Not a heroic accomplishment, but it sure was amusing!
You canít do that in an SC, as there ainít nothing Super about a slow as molasses Carrera. Those without boost will never know what laying down the hammer feels like, what a shame.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
You can’t do that in an SC, as there ain’t nothing Super about a slow as molasses Carrera. Those without boost will never know what laying down the hammer feels like, what a shame.
Rubbish. There’s more than one way to make horsepower. The more I drive this car, the more I appreciate the technology behind it. The last 1000rpm to redline when the variocam plus opens up and drops an extra 25hp like a little nos shot is just fabulous. Different strokes for different folks.

2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-11-2020, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Troll Hunter

Garage
Quote:
you don't have to drive a high power car at anywhere near its max potential to enjoy a biggly power plant - even simple squirts past people on the highway, on highway on-ramps, etc. in a machine with actual power is enjoyable.
I think there's a big difference between driving a modern high horsepower car and a 930. My modern 997 Turbo was crazy fast, but not really enjoyable on the street. Your 930 is crazy fast and a little twitchy due to a lack of nanny tech, I assume much like my 72RS spec. (not HP wise, but you get the point)

There's a thrill to driving cars that feel like that, even on the street.

2020 M2 CS
Old 05-11-2020, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: