Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 13
80K vs 40K miles 1989 Targa. What should be the price difference?

Hey all,

What should be the price difference between an 80K mileage 1989 Targa and a 40K, assuming all else equal (price, color, condition)?

Would this difference in mileage substantially affect the longevity of the car?

Thank you guys!
Rob

Old 11-12-2020, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 672
Not sure what the point of a hypothetical value question is? There is not and never will be two cars like this for sale at the same time, so what are you really asking for? Sounds like using the forum to settle an argument at the bar. Are lower mileage cars worth more? They usually are.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastr View Post
Not sure what the point of a hypothetical value question is? There is not and never will be two cars like this for sale at the same time, so what are you really asking for? Sounds like using the forum to settle an argument at the bar. Are lower mileage cars worth more? They usually are.
No need to be rude.

Iím looking at a red Targa with 36K miles for $60K, or a gray Targa with 82K miles for $47K. Spoke to both sellers, both cars seem to be in the exact same condition (paint, interior, wheels). Engine / transmission, I donít know. I would need to run a PPI.

Regarding color, I favor the gray. But I can afford the lower mileage car. So Iím wondering if the extra $13K for half the mileage is worth it, to overcome the slight color preference. If the red one is a ďstealĒ for the price (again, assuming everything checks out) then Iíd rather go with that.

Last edited by illerucis; 11-13-2020 at 05:21 AM..
Old 11-13-2020, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Zink Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 2,810
I would factor in service history as well. Great documented service history on the higher mile car would narrow the gap if the lower mile car didn't have it. I'm assuming mileage can be verified for both? I'm not a guards red fan either so it would be a non starter for me.
__________________
Jerry
93 VFR750, 1968 R50/2
911's and 914's of various vintages and in various states of repair
Old 11-13-2020, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhynesrockmtn View Post
I would factor in service history as well. Great documented service history on the higher mile car would narrow the gap if the lower mile car didn't have it. I'm assuming mileage can be verified for both? I'm not a guards red fan either so it would be a non starter for me.
Thank you for the insight. The gray one is being sold by a Porsche dealer and he said heíll look for it today. The car has mileage reports on CarFax going back to 1990.

Iíll talk to the seller today about the red example and see what I can get.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: chicago il
Posts: 742
Garage
PPI is the key to evaluate.
Compression & leak down on engine health.
Also a 46,000 mileage difference certainly has an impact on value.
All components wear and require replacements so maintenance history is really important re the higher mileage.
Do they have COA ‘s ? Tool kit , jack etc. all aspects functional.... AC etc.
There will be differences with more investigation
Let us know progress
__________________
Gold71
Old 11-13-2020, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 sportsc View Post
PPI is the key to evaluate.
Compression & leak down on engine health.
Also a 46,000 mileage difference certainly has an impact on value.
All components wear and require replacements so maintenance history is really important re the higher mileage.
Do they have COA Ďs ? Tool kit , jack etc. all aspects functional.... AC etc.
There will be differences with more investigation
Let us know progress
Should I PPI both of them? Is that common to do? Someone told me a PPI basically means you agree to buy unless major issues but this is my first rodeo.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,350
Garage
I think the pricing differential of $13,000 seems fair given market information off the top of my head.

Mileage..... if you see yourself driving the car mileage is irrelevant.... there is absolutely no difference other than two to three maintenance cycles between a maintained 40K and a maintained 80k n/a 911.
__________________
86 Sports Purpose Carrera "O4"
Old 11-13-2020, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 19,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by illerucis View Post
Should I PPI both of them? Is that common to do? Someone told me a PPI basically means you agree to buy unless major issues but this is my first rodeo.
There is no obligation to buy the car because you ppi it.

I agree with Macís comment.

You like the grey car more. Itís less expensive. Get a ppi on it and if it checks out, buy and enjoy it.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
2004 40 Jahre
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-13-2020, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
I think the pricing differential of $13,000 seems fair given market information off the top of my head.

Mileage..... if you see yourself driving the car mileage is irrelevant.... there is absolutely no difference other than two to three maintenance cycles between a maintained 40K and a maintained 80k n/a 911.
This is really great information. I assumed the 80K would be more maintenance / likelihood of having an issue simply because of the miles. Iíll definitely run a PPI and assuming everything checks out, Iíd be happy with the price.

I definitely intend to drive the car. Not daily, but road trips and weekend touring.

Thank you!
Old 11-13-2020, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered
 
sugarwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7,885
Garage
To answer your question, the 36k mile car is the better relative deal.

Low miles in the 30's commands a huge bump, sometimes a 100% premium.
The red car is a collector car, and is in a totally different league than an 80k mile car, which is also no slouch.

The premium is only 28%, which is low.
However, that does not mean you should buy it.

Do you like red ? If not, skip.
PPI for both is worth it, considering this is a $50k purchase.
Drive both. Buy the better car.

Also, try to negotiate both down, and buy from the more motivated seller.

When you put 20k miles on both, you now have a 56k and 102k mile car.
The red will still command a serious premium, while the grey will not.
__________________
1986 Bosch Icon Wipers coupe.

Last edited by sugarwood; 11-13-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Old 11-13-2020, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,350
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
To answer your question, the 36k mile car is the better relative deal.

Low miles in the 30's commands a huge bump, sometimes a 100% premium.
The red car is a collector car, and is in a totally different league than an 80k mile car, which is also no slouch.

The premium is only 28%, which is low.
However, that does not mean you should buy it.

Do you like red ? If not, skip.
PPI for both is worth it, considering this is a $50k purchase.
Drive both. Buy the better car.

Also, try to negotiate both down, and buy from the more motivated seller.

When you put 20k miles on both, you now have a 56k and 102k mile car.
The red will still command a serious premium, while the grey will not.

Given supplied info, I agree the red does seem to be a better value.
__________________
86 Sports Purpose Carrera "O4"
Old 11-13-2020, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 13
Some more information trickling in...

Gray has no service history from previous owners. The dealer (it's a Porsche dealership) said he has nothing but they did a full PPI on the car and it checks out.

Red does have service history, dealer sending it over now. The mileage on this one is 39K not 36K.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered
 
sugarwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7,885
Garage
Both are dealer cars?
Same dealer?

Money not an issue, the get the lower mileage one for higher retained value.

Just be prepared to set aside $10k to $20k as a repair fund, to combat worst case scenario. Head stud, engine rebuild, gearbox issue, etc.
__________________
1986 Bosch Icon Wipers coupe.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Both are dealer cars?
Same dealer?

Money not an issue, the get the lower mileage one for higher retained value.

Just be prepared to set aside $10k to $20k as a repair fund, to combat worst case scenario. Head stud, engine rebuild, gearbox issue, etc.
If retained value isn’t a concern, would the red car be a “better” car, mileage aside, assuming both PPIs check out? I’m mostly concerned about longer term performance and reliability.

I have no intention to sell the car in the future ... and if I need to, I’m willing to accept a loss. This is purely a pleasure car to take out when the weather is nice, and possibly a cross country road trip.

Last edited by illerucis; 11-13-2020 at 12:27 PM..
Old 11-13-2020, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,350
Garage
These cars are the definition of workhorse reliability and the 3.2 L motor is bullet proof. There are concerns around premature wearing of the valve guides. Putting that IMO minor concern aside (fighting words to some on this board) these are worry free motors with the 89 motor the last of the 3.2 series. Again if properly maintained these motors easily last to 200,000 miles with motors documented to a half million miles.

So given mileage aside it comes to color and documentation.

Porsche's are color cars so to me that would have major impact on my decision. If you like Grey and the PPI clears it, Grey would be my choice. Documentation is a definite value to the car but at the end of the day you need to be jazzed about your car especially if it is a keeper.


I do think it is important for you to verify via PPI the condition of the grey. I would make sure you have an independent shop handle that inspection.
__________________
86 Sports Purpose Carrera "O4"

Last edited by Macroni; 11-13-2020 at 01:12 PM..
Old 11-13-2020, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Still here
 
pmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,968
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by illerucis View Post
No need to be rude.
Don't ask for feedback if you do not want any.

Quote:
I’m looking at a red Targa with 36K miles for $60K, or a gray Targa with 82K miles for $47K. Spoke to both sellers, both cars seem to be in the exact same condition (paint, interior, wheels). Engine / transmission, I don’t know. I would need to run a PPI.

Regarding color, I favor the gray. But I can afford the lower mileage car. So I’m wondering if the extra $13K for half the mileage is worth it, to overcome the slight color preference. If the red one is a “steal” for the price (again, assuming everything checks out) then I’d rather go with that.
36K miler is the no-brainer.
__________________
What the lark !
Old 11-13-2020, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Waynesboro, Virginia
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by illerucis View Post
Hey all,

What should be the price difference between an 80K mileage 1989 Targa and a 40K, assuming all else equal (price, color, condition)?

Would this difference in mileage substantially affect the longevity of the car?

Thank you guys!
Rob
Hi Rob,

I see your question is also about “longevity”, not just pricing and market. Given the mileage some are getting out of their Carreras, there will be no discernible difference in longevity. You may even get more trouble free miles out of the higher mileage car assuming decent service and clean PPI. Sitting is hard on cars and the red one has barely done 1000 miles a year.

Resale value on the other hand will be a good bit different. Assuming excellent care while in your ownership, the red car will certainly get the extra you paid back, and more I would dare to say. The red car will still be a fairly low mileage car even if you put 25000 miles on it. That would take years and years if you are like most of us.

Bottom line, you probably can’t go wrong with either one. If you like the gray one better and it is comparable in all but mileage, go for it.

Last edited by Fairview; 11-13-2020 at 04:06 PM..
Old 11-13-2020, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 19,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by illerucis View Post
If retained value isnít a concern, would the red car be a ďbetterĒ car, mileage aside, assuming both PPIs check out? Iím mostly concerned about longer term performance and reliability.

I have no intention to sell the car in the future ... and if I need to, Iím willing to accept a loss. This is purely a pleasure car to take out when the weather is nice, and possibly a cross country road trip.
Thereís no guarantee that itís a better car. Furthermore, because of the low miles it may have plastic or rubber parts that are dried out and need replacement from sitting whereas they may be done already on a car that was driven more. Youíve just got to look closely and assess.

Do not trust a dealer ppi of their own car. That is just a starting point. Get an jndekendwnt shop to do another one on your dime. Iím still saying grey car based on cost and use. Anything under 100k is low miles on these cars.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
2004 40 Jahre
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-13-2020, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SoCal
Posts: 72
Garage
I am skeptical of most mileage claims as these odometers are extremely easy to massage. Especially if coming from a place with no smog checks where mileage is recorded. Not saying thats the case with either of these but I would go with the advice many others have offered regarding compression, leak down, and the overall condition of the vehicle.

Old 11-13-2020, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:40 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.