Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Is BAT the best way to sell this 3.2 ?

After a twelve year love affair with my 84 carrera I am looking at selling it to move up to a more modern car, something more of a daily summer car versus a weekend car as I use my 911. Probably replace it with a 997.2 S manual.

Not going to jump into a listing, probably hold off until spring as I am in no rush, want to be sure I am not making a mistake. Due to my location (PEI, Canada) and covid, I figure waiting until borders reopen from covid closure will make it a little easier anyway to attract buyers from new England or Central Canada.

It seems that BAT is the way to go these days. Is that the consensus for a private seller who is a long term owner who can provide lots of maintenance/ upgrade history. It seems alot of the cars are listed by dealers now on BAT.

Been searching Sales reports but values seem to be all over the place so I thought I would ask the the forum for opinions on my car as described below ?

I bought the car from an enthusiast in Boston at 125,000 miles after test driving and having a PPI done with good results. Car is now at 136,000 miles so only put about 1000 miles per year.
Car worked well , was rust free so after a year of enjoying and making sure everything seemed solid I decided to make it the best 84 3.2 I could figuring I would just make steady upgrades any time it needed something, I would do the right repair for a long life assuming I would have this car forever.
In 2010 I started with a meticulous glass out respray in the original zinn metalic color , replaced the bulk of the rubber/vinyl bits, headliner, headlight&diving light lens etc. Body still looks great , only a couple small paint imperfections over the last 10 years.
Later when clutch needing replacement I went with a sachs sport and refreshed the 915 gearbox with new synchros, bearing replacement with proper steel sleeve etc. Shifts great now ( for a 915) but wasnt really too bad before ( according to PPI)
Later again I installed a cat bypass and steve wong chip . Sent the dme to Steve Wong to have removeable chip socket installed had the board overhauled (resoldered) to ensure years of trouble free service.
This year - New tires (age) , Replaced driver seatbelt, and had a bad tdc sensor so Replaced it and the other speed sensor as well as head temp sensor while we were at it.
I have a long list of other minor upgrades and repairs along the way too long to list but this gives a sense of the car.

The only real mod is that I lowered the seat an inch ( 6'3" driver) which might be a bonus for many) and a non stock continental retro style stereo head unit.

Only significant item outstanding at this point is a/c. It didn't work when I bought the car and planned to refurbish it , Even started by replacing all hoses when the car was painted but found I don't really need it on PEI so I removed the compressor and didn't go any further.

If you read this far any opinions are welcome

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Inniswhe; 11-13-2020 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 11-13-2020, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

If you use your Porsche for driving the beautiful roads of PEI, it is difficult to imagine a better choice than your Carrera.

On the other hand, if you are getting restless now that all the work is done on your car, you might post here on the forum to see if anyone with a 997 wants to trade for your car plus or minus cash depending on relative condition.

It looks like your car is a no apologies example with all the right things capably done. I imagine there is a 997 owner who would like to find an air cooled 911 such as yours. Could be a match made in heaven.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Jeff

P.S. my bride and I flew our 1940 Piper Cub to PEI for our honeymoon in June 1990. From Virginia that is a long way, took 3 days to make it, but what a trip to a special part of the world.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The combination of 911 location,136,000 miles and 915 transmission will negate a BaT premium. I think a Pelican will pay fair market for what appears to be a well maintained turn key car.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Troll Hunter

Garage
Beautiful car! I think your location will be the biggest stumbling block.
BTW, if you see my wife's cousin, punch him in the mouth for me.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Beautiful car! I think your location will be the biggest stumbling block.
BTW, if you see my wife's cousin, punch him in the mouth for me.
I need someone to punch my cousin in the mouth. He's in Ontario though. Name is Gordon. Do you ever brush those parts or can you oblige Nick?
Old 11-14-2020, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Yes I think location is going to be a the biggest factor for sure as pictures and videos only go so far . Probably best to list on pelican since I am in no rush. If a central Canadian buyer comes along its easy to ship and I don't mind delivering to a shipper at the US border at Maine- New Brunswick.

Old 11-14-2020, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Troll Hunter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911heaven View Post
I need someone to punch my cousin in the mouth. He's in Ontario though. Name is Gordon. Do you ever brush those parts or can you oblige Nick?
That's the province where I have my place Bern. Happy to oblige if they ever let us in the country again.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Love that car. If we were not in the middle of a pandemic, I'd make you an offer with the idea of flying to pick it up, then driving it back home to Utah.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Yes.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
If you use your Porsche for driving the beautiful roads of PEI, it is difficult to imagine a better choice than your Carrera.

On the other hand, if you are getting restless now that all the work is done on your car, you might post here on the forum to see if anyone with a 997 wants to trade for your car plus or minus cash depending on relative condition.

It looks like your car is a no apologies example with all the right things capably done. I imagine there is a 997 owner who would like to find an air cooled 911 such as yours. Could be a match made in heaven.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Jeff

P.S. my bride and I flew our 1940 Piper Cub to PEI for our honeymoon in June 1990. From Virginia that is a long way, took 3 days to make it, but what a trip to a special part of the world.
Yes Jeff driving the roads on PEI is great in a classic air cooled 911 but the best driving actually is not on this Island . A day trip to Cape Breton Island for a rip around the Cabot Trail is a good as it gets in the northeast if you ask me.
Glad you liked PEI, we are pretty lucky up here especially right now as Covid rages we have avoided the brunt of it - so far

Old 11-15-2020, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Where are you planning to buy the 997 from? You may want to discuss this with one of the Canadian Classic Porsche dealers and see if they're interested in a trade. There are few cars such as yours in Canada, and the ones for sale in Vancouver where I am are astronomically expensive. Not saying they're selling that high but if you're a buyer for the 997, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

looks like a nice car.
sell it in Vancouver. or Toronto.
nice cars sell - regardless of the seasons.
probably only 2 or 3 truly decent air cooled cars for sale, in all of Canada.
the 915 is only a drawback if you are dealing with a dufus, imho. real men love a sorted 915.
how much?
Old 11-16-2020, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
That itís in Canada is a non issue if youíre going BAT.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I do see cars sell for more on BAT than they would have locally.

High quality photos and driving/walkaround videos are a must. Ditto for engaging potential buyers in the comment section.

I've also cars sell BELOW market value because the seller didn't make the above efforts.

Honestly, the thought of not having to deal with tirekickers wasting your time off Craigslist is quite appealing.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Yes I have noticed that there are very few 3.2 carrera's for sale in canada.If you want a coupe the are probably less than a half dozen in the country in good or better condition.

That was one of the reasons I was wondering how best to sell it. I may try contacting a Canadian classic porsche dealer ( didn't think such a thing exists in canada). If anyone has a recommendation please chime in. A dealer trade would be a great way to avoid full tax bill.

Regarding pricing, my review of BAT sales of cars with normal mileage for age it appears that my car would be in the 35-40k US$ range but the location factor is likely to impact that unless I am willing to wait for a Canadian or American not afraid to go through the importation process. Does that sound reasonable ?

I imported my car, several motorcycles, and a sailboat into Canada. It's easy coming this direction so I doubt it will be much more difficult going the other way. I don't mind helping out the buyer with the logistics.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Details matter !
That it was a US car helps.

Interior condition ?
Is the paint "perfectly" done as it looks ?
etc

And the typical questions you would ask if buying ...

I would start at $40K which is low if everything checks out.

Last edited by pmax; 11-17-2020 at 07:16 PM..
Old 11-17-2020, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
Yes I have noticed that there are very few 3.2 carrera's for sale in canada.If you want a coupe the are probably less than a half dozen in the country in good or better condition.

That was one of the reasons I was wondering how best to sell it. I may try contacting a Canadian classic porsche dealer ( didn't think such a thing exists in canada). If anyone has a recommendation please chime in. A dealer trade would be a great way to avoid full tax bill.

I like your car! One idea I had was to contact Romanowski, a member of this board. He's in charge of sales at Calgary Porsche center. I have spoken with him many times on the phone from here about RUF related stuff and he's a nice guy. If he has a customer for your car, plus the car you seek without a customer he may do a deal. Just remember he's a dealer so you'll have to play hardball. It's a small chance, but worth a try if you PM him or just call the dealer and ask for him. You could even say Bernard in Japan recommended him if it helps. They seem to always have a stock of used cars as well for sale, and in this environment probably not selling so well.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
gearhead

Try Pfaff in Ontario.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-18-2020, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Details matter !
That it was a US car helps.

Interior condition ?
Is the paint "perfectly" done as it looks ?
etc

And the typical questions you would ask if buying ...

I would start at $40K which is low if everything checks out.
Interior condition is very good and will be better by spring. The only significant flaws at present are:
1. Cracked grilles on rear speakers ( front grilles are new). I have a new set of reproduction rear grilles to oem spec but the installed speakers are larger than stock so existing speakers need to replace with smaller to correct properly. Just didn't get to it. Fairly minor issue.

2. cracked plastic on the rear belts bolt covers. This is pretty common wear point I believe.

3. Wear on the driver's seat . I did have the drivers seat repaired with a replacement leather panel and repair finished to match the existing seat leather 10 years ago when I had the car painted but after 10 years of minimal use the driver seat now has cracks appearing in the repaired area . That bothers me because I am quite particular and as I indicated I like to make the best repair possible when needed so I plan on replacing the seat leathers over the winter with new german leather. It's costly but if I don't end up selling the car I will enjoy the new leather. Unfortunately the passengers seat is perfect but I believe these must be replaced as a set

The exterior paint was done to a high standard and has not really degraded in the past 10 years that I can tell. Still has great shine and there are no real flaws other than a few minor nicks in the paint and a couple chips in the rocker guard but you have to search. Is it 100 % perfect , no but definately still looks very, very good.

The worst 2 imperfections are below. Compared to what I see on BAT the paint has almost no issues but it is not original, never will be again . In reality I expect is has better appearance that almost any car with original paint unless it was in a museum the last 35 years.
I have before pictures as well from 2007 when I purchased the car to show any perspective buyers this repaint was just to refresh from normal road wear and not an attempt to hide anything like rust, etc.

1. Paint chip in hood approx 1/8" or less. Happened first year after repaint. Only chip above rocker panels that I am aware of.
2. Damage at wiper arm. This was the only real flaw and occurred on reassembly (by me)from overtightening the wiper arm assembly. 10 years later it looks the same.

If these bothered someone, these couple flaws could be repaired but I am the only one that ever noticed these little flaws as you need to go over the car pretty closely to identify . Unless you are expecting an absolute concours condition example I would expect most anyone to be very pleased with the exterior.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
That's a nice interior, sports seats too.

I'll go with $45-$55K.
If those small items are an easy fix, I would do so before putting it on BAT.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: