Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A few new bits

Whilst the engine was out:

....and that elusive 'Horn Puck':

Martin
Old 11-22-2008, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
up-fixing der car(ma)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to YTNUKLR
How do you like it in comparison to your other 3.6 car?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTNUKLR View Post
How do you like it in comparison to your other 3.6 car?
As you might imagine, both cars are very different with the 72t having a raw but beautifully balanced chassis, a much louder exhaust and a 220hp engine (early days on the re-build) that needs to be spun-up to get to the power, whilst the 3.6SC is invariably more civilised with a softer more compliant chassis and a 300+ hp engine that pulls like a train in any gear and can quickly scare the crap out of me.

With the RSR bodywork, the 72t is a real event to drive (small children point at it) but it has no creature comforts, hard suspension and needs to be worked, so really not best suited as a daily driver whilst the 3.6SC is an 'air conditioned' dark horse that my wife can take down the shops but is more than happy to be squirted down an autobahn for a 'high speed' run to the Ring or Le Mans.

In conclusion the 3.6SC is the great wife whilst the 72t is the hot mistress

Martin
Old 11-23-2008, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
What a treat this post has been!

Thanks Martin.

Scott

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 11-23-2008, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

First drive - 2009

Yesterday, took the opportunity to show the 72t what British driving is all about

Martin
Old 01-10-2009, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

72t Update

OK - after a few months of frustration a quick update and few thank-you's
  • Howard Taylor (previous owner) has re-introduced the 72t to it's original 3-pin CD box, coil + points and at long last it has life.
  • Then Gib Bosworth who kindly supplied the early spark plug spanner that helped re-kindle the missing flame.
  • Then Bob Watson (Engineering) who tweeked the MFI so the car now drives like a dream and yes, I'm actually enjoying the 2.7 RS engine characteristics more than the clout of the 3.6 in the SC.

• Then Barry Carter (a master craftsman over on DDK) who kindly spent a few hours showing me how to properly align my driver door which now actually shuts with a clunk.

• Then Stuart Brownsea (Rodwell Sports UK) who has just transformed these:

• into:

• Then Nick Moss (Early 911) who is busy 'frosting' these:

• Not forgetting Russell at RSR Engineering who keeps digging me out the sh't for beer money.
  • ...and my next stop, Alan at Canford Classics to refurb the Scheels.
A really great bunch of fine British artisans who back up the considerable resource that I regularly tap into via DDK, EarlyS, Impact Bumpers and of course Pelican.

Now all I need is some quality time in the UK and some good British weather to drive the old girl

Martin
Old 03-14-2009, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Love the pic of her all dirtied up.......

Anyone out there love the look of race cars after the race more than before the race....they are all shiny and clean before but the oil strewn mucked up and used look is much more my style....a little pantia never hurt
2001 Toyota 4Runner
Old 03-14-2009, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
Porsche Crest

Very happy for you. Wishing you many miles of enjoyment

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 03-14-2009, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

RS Script

For better or worse, I installed the RS script today - not sure this was the right decision as I'm still very tempted to loose the ducktail and install a Porsche side script .

Martin
Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

martin

i vote for no ducktail and porsche side script. i have recently done this during converting my RS rep to ST specs.

ps. i saw your car at le mans last year (long trip from sydney but worth it) and thought it looked great. the subtle colour will look magic with a plain rear lid.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
I twist and turn over this also stripes or no stripes.... porsche or carrera...

Martin,
It has come along way from this original photo

Old 03-29-2009, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Quack no Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrut View Post
i vote for no ducktail and porsche side script. i have recently done this during converting my RS rep to ST specs.
Yup, I agree but I guess I had to get the RSR thing out of my system .

So all I need now is for some kind sole to donate me a nice plain 'aluminium' engine cover then I can lay down the PORSCHE script

Martin
Old 03-29-2009, 11:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Quack - no Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
I twist and turn over this also stripes or no stripes.... porsche or carrera...

Your car is looking great mate - I always wanted a 'gulf blue' 911 - but in your case I would definately stick with the RS script and chrome trim.

My problem is my 'widebody' 72 is a freak, stuck between the ST and the RSR so I guess I'll eventually end up with some sort of transition i.e. ST theme with PORSCHE script, 9+11" Fuchs / Flares, RSR front oil cooler and no duck?

Martin
Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Administrator

Having been down a not-so-different road...

1) I think it looks better with graphics on the side rather than the plain paint. (I think Macaroni's would look better with a decal, too.)
2) I think the "Porsche" script would look even better than the "Carrera," although the "Carrera" looks pretty good.
3) I'd keep the ducktail.

But then...

4) That's just my opinion. I'm someone who couldn't care less about a specific tie to a specific historic model. I just know what I think looks good.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Yes to my eye, and also recently down the is road the lighter colors look great with the carrera script, sort of pulls it together??

Also, you should get the "Carrera RSR" for the rear deck :-)

Awesome car, I just sold an RSR look and I hope the new owner attends to some of the "details" as you have done.

RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
But then... that's just my opinion. I'm someone who couldn't care less about a specific tie to a specific historic model. I just know what I think looks good.
Jack,

Let me say that I hold you 'personally responsible' for my compulsive behaviour having been inspired by your black 'devils own' creation when I first discovered Pelican all those years ago

Otherwise, I have to admit I do (perversly) enjoy all the little historical details associated with the 70's ST/RSR's and plan to fill my boots at the Techno Classic in Essen later this week.

Martin
Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

....talking of details, I have a set of these landing later this week:

Martin
Old 03-30-2009, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Holy Christ, I started this thread 4 years ago!

What a great read and congratulations on the car. There are some idiots who insist that nothing good ever winds up on eBay, this should silence them for a minute. But it probably won't.

Please post some pics of the SC or a link to a thread on it. Congrats again!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Looks badass as is. Keep the Carrera graphic. The ducktail does a lot for the aero, if you do a search you can probably find all the technical details on the downforce it provides at speed.

'72 911E Sporto
Sportomatic.org
Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Paint Colour

I need to touch up a few paint chips and am struggling with the paintwork colour code for which I unfortunately have no reference,

The closest match I have seen on a few early 356/911's seems to be Sand Beige (Code: 510)?

Interestingly the original colour of the car in 72 was light yellow which I guess is the same colour as the vehicle in the background - will probably revert back to this one day.

So, any bets on whether I should go for Sand Beige?

Thx

Martin
Old 04-12-2009, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: