Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

M491 Value

I truly don't want to offend anyone with this post, specifically the person selling the vehicle in question. However, I really think the person advertising this M491 car has this car so very overpriced that it might not ever sell.

Any thoughts? Am I off base on this thinking?

'88 491 For Sale
Old 12-21-2006, 04:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered abUser

Garage
Yeah, that's a lot of lettuce to you and me, but if the right buyer comes along, you never know. You're basically talking body off restoration.... okay at least fenders, bumpers, and doors off, anyway. It's just a matter if you want to buy cheap and put money into it or buy it already done. Could probably get it for $30K or you could get a 930 for same price, but it would likely need some work to look as nice.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Maybe he does not really want to sell it? I think its grossly overpriced but I have not seen the car in person. If you stick the hook in the water with the bait on it maybe some fish eventually bites. He's obviously in no rush to sell. When I have sold some of my cars I had a lot of people who called and you could tell they were not serious buyers and just wanted to talk cars. Maybe this is the reverse of that? Who knows, its an interesting car if he really wants to sell it I wish him luck.
93 RSA, 964 Speedster, other 964 coupes
89 Turbo Ruf mods,1990 e30 M3
Old 12-22-2006, 07:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
It would take a very uneducated buyer to sell at that price. There are serveral people that post on this board that also are members of the yahoo group for TL 911's one of them may chime in here hopefully. I have been tracking the sale of these cars for over a year now as my search continues. One can buy very nice TL cabs for upper 20's. The red 85' cab on Pelican is advertised at 30k and looks very good. Another nice blue (87'?) also recently sold for that same advertised price. I personally know of a white on white 87' cab with about 60k miles that sold for 25k last spring. An 86' spoiler delete cabriolet sold for 17k last December with 126k miles on it. I've got some other ones recorded too if anyone cares to know.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:01 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered abUser

Garage
Let's say you find a TL for 18K but it needs paint and the interior freshened. You can get to $25k quickly for quality work. What if the top end needs a rebuild... there's $30K. I'm not talking DIY. If you want a nice example of any 911, especially a TL, it won't come at a bargain unless you get very lucky and have a ton of patience.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Watch out Jay, I am on the same wavelength. I remember seeing the original post (months ago) and thought to myself

1) Why does such a new "rare" car need such a restoration as this one? It just doesn't sit well with me.

2) If it needed so much work, then it is hardly original and to me, having an "original" rare car is of more worth than an unorginal one.

3) Its got nearly 150K miles. "regular" 150K Carerras are what, mid teens?

4) Most 491 packaged 3.2l Carerras (at most) high 20Ks, MAYBE low 30 for an immaculate example. The fact this one has a rear decklid delete hardly justifies a premium.

5) While I guess he is some kind of broker, you would think such a "rare" car as this would be supported with a few pics.

6) Competition. For that asking price, you can get a 930, 964, or 993 variant Porsches, or can find a very nice Long hood. For 1/2 that money you get SC's, Carerras. Or, get a 2-3 y/o Boxster or a '99-'03 996. Lots of choices.

Clearly the car has to appeal to someone but man, I am not sure if that someone exists at that $$.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Custom User Title

Racer,

I agree 100% with all your points. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this way.

For $38k (or whatever the price is), this car should have under 10,000 total miles, be completely untouched, have full records of every nut/bolt that has been wrenched on the car, original window sticker, original tires, etc., etc., etc.

Looks like he is trying to get all his money he spent restoring the car back to "concours" condition.

Also, with all the hits that he's got with zero inquiries on the car, the market seems to be speaking about the pricing of the car.

But, as we all have said, there might be that one person that may pay that price for this car. All it takes is one buyer...

I've also been very wary over the years about people claiming to have concours quality cars. Unless they have recent scoresheets and/or trophies for the car, it's hard to prove over the internet it's a concours condition car... Based on personal experience, it takes a lot of work to get a car in concours condition where it is competitive... Also, with this car getting a full repaint, it'll never be eligible for certain classes in PCA concours.

Also, it might be rude of us to be nit picking someone's car for sale and this car might just be near perfect. But, like they say in marketing/advertising, any publicity is good publicity...

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2

Last edited by Jay H; 12-22-2006 at 03:37 PM..
Old 12-22-2006, 03:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: