Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

944S Value

This seems like a reasonable price for this "S" in this condition. What do you all think?

944S

Old 03-06-2007, 08:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think this one might be hard to put a number on. A top driver-condition 944S might bring in the neighborhood of $7k. But this car claims to be concourse-quality, and I don't see very many concourse-class cars on the market in the places I look.

The joke is that anything is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it, but that may literally be the case here...I'm not sure there is a standard market value for cars in this condition (at least, not that I've seen here). If you want a show car, you like this one, and you're willing to pay about what they're asking, go for it. It is a good-looking car in the pictures (and, they claim to have service records -- really unusual for a dealership).

But, if you want a car to drive, I wouldn't buy that one. You can find a good driver for less, and if you're not a concourse guy, you probably won't be able to tell the difference (at least, I probably couldn't).
Old 03-07-2007, 02:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Natey,

Thanks for the discussion. I'm not in the market for this car, but I am not educated enough on 944 S values. However, I watch this dealer frequently and just thought for a potential concours condition car, it was priced fairly from what I perceive 944S cars should be priced at (it's cheap for a very nice Porsche).

I'm an amature concours judge and will agree that it seems rare to find these cars in these conditions. It sure looks like a nice car from the pics that could be worked on a bit and competed with.

Best,

Jay
Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

limit is the S2 value
as the S2 has air bags anti lock brakes and a bigger motor too
and at 11500 you can get a nice S2 maybe not quite as low mile or
nice as that car but close
9 10 k is the top value for the 944s
Old 03-07-2007, 02:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My old 37K car is now at a dealer for 15,000.00. He hasn't sold it yet.

It was as perfect as a 1 year old car, I paid 8,900.00 for it. If you haven't driven an S, I would suggest that you do before purchasing one, as they aren't awfully rapid above the speed limit. Very fine cars though, and a free flow helps them a lot. I sold mine for what I paid, and I did a TB, WP, & full 30K service. Super AC and a wonderful driver. The S2 motor is the one to have unless you want 30 + MPG on the highway. An S will easily do that.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Addendum. It wasn't a slow car, and would go very fast on the highway. It just wasn't as rapid as other cars.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

With 63K on the clock, I doubt its concours. But it does appear to very very clean and well taken care of...I say 9.5K tops(even at a dealership).
Old 03-07-2007, 04:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The undebody rear valance (ala 944 Turbo) is wrong for a 944S. Guess its not a "perfect" concours car

I looked at a 944S for sale locally that was of very good overall condition. Excellent paint. Very good interior. Good options, All the original paperwork (in fact, original owner)... Car started at $10,5 then he lowered it to $9.5 and now (still - 6-8 months later) the car is STILL on the market at $10,5. The car I saw still had original shocks (which needed replacement) AC had no charge either.

As mentioned, they aren't "slow" but they aren't "fast" either. 188hp. Approx 2800lbs? 0-60 in about 7 seconds. Its a car that really needs to be revved high to make any speed.

The S2 is a much better overall package - Turbo brakes, suspension, 210 hp and good torque!
1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Custom User Title

For concours, it really depends on the class or event as to how non original parts will be perceived. In my region, this Turbo spoiler on the back would be a non issue, just as long as it's clean since all of our classes are based solely on how clean something is.

Other events and/or National classes would frown on the Turbo spoiler because it's not how the car was delivered.

Natey, Nota, Daniel, Dueller and racer: Thanks for your input on pricing on this car!!

Jay
Old 03-07-2007, 06:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
FYI. The "dealer" for this car is a PCA Club Racing Steward. He is very knowledgable about Porsches. (I say this even though he 13/13'd me several years ago.) I have no experience buying one of his cars, but would believe that his description is accurate.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I would say that if it needed nothing his asking price would be about what I had into mine after servicing. 10,500.00 would be a fair offer. To the right person, that would be an excellent car.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Old 03-08-2007, 06:47 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: