Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Porsche owners interested in 250hp VW Vanagon?

I would like to sell my '91 VW Carat van w/ a '91 Audi 250 hp Turbo engine conversion. I think there would be an interest here, but there's no place to list it as it's not a Porsche.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Woodland Hills, CA

Price?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

$14,500.00 ??? Here is some text from the ad I was writing:

1991 Vanagon Carat. Super straight no rust or accident West coast chassis w/ 90% original paint (front was resprayed due to stone chips) and just under 146,000 miles. Set up as a custom South African type speed wagon w/ SA front grill, upgraded/vented front brakes, H&R lowering springs, new Bilstein shocks, and '91 Audi B3 Turbo charged and intercooled 5 cyl motor w/ 7,500 RPM redline. Motor was professionally rebuilt less than 21K miles ago along w/ new belts, hoses, water pump, distributor, clutch, turbo flywheel and bellhousing adapter, axle and trani seals, rear brakes, front suspension bushings, ect. The emmissions equipment is all in place and I was told that the van was tested and passed as being DEQ complient - We don't have those worries here in Florida, but I know it's important out West where this van came from. Interior is all mint (even have the original window curtains - like new) and stock w/ the exception of a new CD stereo and VDO water temp, oil pressure, and turbo boost gauges. The engine deck height was increased just enough to allow a flat bed surface when the rear seat is folded out. All lights and power windows/locks work, but the A/C and cruise control details have not been worked out and hooked up. 17" Audi rims w/ spacers and newer tires.
This van rolls down the road like no other Vanagon I've driven, yet still returns 20-22 mpg on the freeway and 19-20 mpg in town. Power delivery is very deceptive as the turbo has virtually no lag and it's output is linear w/ tons of torque . The turbo whine coming from out back is addictive! I have put over 8,000 miles since I've owned it and would drive it anywhere, anytime, and all day long. It's perfect for having fun driving the family around. Matter of fact, it drives better than our '03 Eurovan we purchased new. I haul my Porsche stuff and parts around in it most of the time. i.e.: I can fit a flat six motor on a pallet on the floor and take it to Forward Air terminal where they just pick it w/ a fork lift. Only selling to fund another project. Please email w/ questions and for more info. Thanks, John

Old 11-21-2009, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You say the AC is not connected but is there a compressor on the engine ? does it just require plumbing... M
Old 11-23-2009, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10doh View Post
You say the AC is not connected but is there a compressor on the engine ? does it just require plumbing... M
No, the compressor is not there, but this was a factory A/C vehicle and all the plumbing that runs back-to-front (remember this is a rear engine design) as well as the controls are in place. I was going to fabricate a bracket to hold a Honda Odyssey compressor (small and light) and splice in the corresponding hose ends, just never got around to it. I open the rear sliding windows behind the front seats, roll down the windows, and let mother nature's wind keep the sweat off my brow - like I do in my old Porsches

Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: