Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Canucks Fan

Question 928, whats the best year

Always liked the look of the 928 but heard/read of some early year clutch problems, not that I'm getting rid of the 930 but what are your opinions of the best year of 928, any experts out there? What trouble spots should I be looking for as well.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Toujours l' Audace

The best ones are the latest and last of the breed 93 928GTS --rare and hard to find. But having driven ---really, really nice. Though I have heard it is not faster 0-60 than previous model GTs 1988 and newer (lo 5s) . But 171 top end. My 911 seemed quaint compared to the modern aspects of any post 86 928.

As a 911 guy I have always thought the 928 later models really exotic Cruisers at great prices. The 928 seems to be an acquired taste -but as a 930 ethusiast you already have a proven eye for whats a bit different.

Anything with a stick -- 88s or later would be a nice ride -the more sorted the better-timing belts, radiator tanks, watch for brake wear, can be touchy as for radiator caps and all fluid life should be looked after and what not. Nothing really nutty like cylinder head bolts pulling --mostly you will need to look for a well owned car.

Who knows given their relative rarity and the fact many have gone high mileage-low maintenance due to low prices-I can see em being reaally collectible someday

Gook Luck
M
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I prefer the pre S-4 styling (with the GTS being the exception- those rear flares really make the car look mean!) simple. More pure. I'd want an 86.5 - last of the smaller bumpers, but benefits from the 4cam motor (288hp) and larger front brakes.

My mom had an '84 928S back in the mid 80's. 234hp. Automatic. Neat car. She didn't keep it long (what with a garage of Aircooled porsches, it never had a chance) but it was a nice tourer. Great sound too.
1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 12-09-2009, 11:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

80 to 81 are the lightest. 84 auto has the four speed auto with the 4.7 16 valve non interference engine. 85 euro has the 16 valve 300 HP euro engine with the upgraded gearbox with the Borg Warner syncros. 86.5 has the five liter 32 valve engine with the dual exhaust, S4 suspension ans brakes. 89 GT has the 325 HP motor, special gearing, LSD, special suspension. Later models have the electronic limited slip. GTS models have a 5.5 liter engine, wider rear flairs.

GTS cars are the most expensive, but most prized by some. GTs are also good at holding their value. Five speeds are sought after, but the pre 85 trannys are an aquired taste, and need at least as much sympathy as the 915 boxes on 911s, mostly because the long connector drive shaft between the clutch and the tranny can carry some serious momentum, and you cannot rush the shift. Many have weak second gear syncros.

Common mods on these cars are Bilstien shocks, Eibach springs, sway bars, larger wheels and tires. The cars have a very modern feel on wider rubber, and you have to go up past 16 inch wheels to achieve this. Cross pipes and free flow exhausts are good for a decent increase in power. Superchargers make these cars stupid fast.

Deferred maintenance is the bugbear with these cars, as there is so much more maintenance to be deferred than there is with an early aircooled, say. Timing belts need religious attention, and they have rollers and tensioners that age as well. AC works well when working, but HVAC vacuum controls can leak. LOTS of electricals in these cars. Engines OTOH, can last forever, if warmed up and maintained.

WHich one do you want ? Depends on you budget, and what you are looking for. Early ones make great hobby cars. I like the Ljetronic or the euro engines on the S models. The us spec 84 auto is a great sleeper with cat delete and shocks/wheels. I like the 85-86 five speeds, but the US 85 model needs an upgraded exhaust to really meet the engines potential. That is why the 86.5 is such a great runner, and it responds really well to a performance chip. If you are going to supercharge, the 87-89 make a great base. 89 5 speeds that are not GTs also have intermediate gearing, which is nice. GTs are great cars period, and I would go for one of those if I were feeling spendy. They have jackrabbit gears, and are pretty sporty. And the GTS ? Everybody wants a GTS. The five speeds are especially nice.

The reality ? I would rather have a good 928 with up to date service than a cool 928 that was very needy. However, if you are willing to do a timing belt or basic servicing yourself, there are good bargains to be had. The funny thing is though that good 928s can be purchased almost as cheaply as project cars, so it pays to shop around.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Also posted on the 911 Technical Forum - If you can find one I would go for an '85 Euro S 5spd. 4.7l and 310hp is entertaining. Half as many valves to worry about damaging compared to an S4 or a US 85/86 model and typically less luxury items than the US models so a little lighter too. I spent 8 years reading the Rennlist digest everyday learning about so many problems with systems that don't even exist on the pre-85 16 valve cars. No MAF to go bad, no LH brain to fail, no front motorized front cooling fins, no rear AC, no variable diff (PSD), no ABS, no airbags, no knock sensors, no flappy in the intake manifold, simpler timing belt, simpler cooling fan setup, the list goes on. During that time I drove my car every day and had it fail to start once - fuel pump relay failed (had a new one purchased but had not installed it). Not bad for a 20 year old car. I think all of the 928 models were great cars (and on an infinite budget would love to drive a GTS every day) but they got progressively more complicated each year and many owners were not car enthusiasts and therefore failed to fix the little items that broke along the way. Making a poor condition 928 into a good one is shear masochism IMO. Taking an average one to good condition is achievable but expensive. Take your time and find a good one to start with.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Well, My 89 928 from Japan is what I was told was the best, but I'm no expert.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: