Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vesnyder Send a message via Yahoo to vesnyder
1983 SC Cabriolet - Value?

I am considering selling my 1983 SC Cabriolet. My neighbor, who has witnessed all the TLC and upgardes that I put into the car and said he is interested. I have a 914 (that I have on the market) and could use the cash - but would only consider selling for the right price. I do not want to rip him off, but probably have close to $30k into the car. Could I sell it to him for $28k with a clear conscience?

A little about the car: The car has been upgraded but most of them have been cosmetic - i.e. suspension, muffler, stereo. The car has 70k+ miles on it and is mint outside of the rock chips on the front. The drivers seat has been redyed (looks perfect) and the Fuchs have been upgarded to 7" and 8"s. I went as far as to have the rear suspension components replated to the original zinc chromium. It is mint. Let me know what you think?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

28k seems a bit high....

I'm not sure of the color codes, but red, black, silver or white are the most common colors. If it was an interesting special order color, I would add a few thousand to the price. We need more details!

Does it have:
interesting color?
sport seats?
limited slip 915?

I think $28k to $30k would be more in line with (for example) a special order slate gray (original paint) SC cab with a special order interior color, sport seats and a LS 915 and 25-30k original miles with all documentation, window sticker, no accidents, etc..

The market is still down a bit these days, and that much cash is hard to cough up for a "toy." I've seen some mint SC coupes with 40k miles (all original paint/no accidents) with documentation for upper $20k's, but have yet to see one sell for that much. SC's (even cab's) are in a buyer's market these days with most collectors opting for late 80's 911's (G50 cars) it seems.

I'd say a no accident 70k mile red/black '83 SC with few options and no body/mechanical issues would be a $20k vehicle these days.

I could probably find an '89 G50 cab with 9" rear rear Fuchs with 70k miles for $24k-$25k fairly easily.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
I think G450X's assessment is spot on. I've been in the market for cabrios lately, and what I found is that 84-86, normal mileage, no rebuilds on engine or tranny, original clutch, top and suspension with decent cosmetics were around 16-19, 19-22 for similar condition 87-89. Cars with good to excellent cosmetics, top-ends, replaced top, clutch, shocks, etc. were 22-25. Some were of course priced higher, but I doubt were selling in this market. I've more or less taken my car off the market because selling in this market sucks. (I was getting offers of 13-15 for my car )

Even in a good market, I don't think an SC cab is worth 28, unless it's really low miles, or otherwise has had a full engine rebuild, new clutch and the interior, top and paint are flawless. But if you can get 28, do it. As to your conscience selling to your friend far above market value, only you can answer that.

edit: based on your description which is a bit thin, I think a fair price for it would be 14-15k, assuming no issues on a PPI.
music: www.christienledroit.ca
Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You and your neighbor are on good terms, right? You want to stay that way, right?

Don't even think of selling a used car for anywhere near to top dollar to someone you know. If (when) something breaks, you will hear about it, and your relationship is over with...

I have broken my own rule several times. Once my family sold a volvo worth $3000 blue book to a family member for $300. Everytime something went wrong, we heard about it.

On the flip side, I did buy a 914 for a good price from a friend. He gave me a better deal than he would to someone else, and I bought it with the understanding that if it grenaded the next day, it was all on me...

As an aside, 28k for an sc is awefully high. Most bannks won't loan on it, so its a cash purchase. Tough sell now a days.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Pictures? Engine health (compression/leakdown numbers? failed head studs?) What were your specific upgrades? how's the top/rear window? any accident history? Color combo?

it doesn't matter how much "you have in the car".. there is an inherant cost of car ownership (maintenance, insurance, depreciation). Some might argue that without your "$30K" in the car, it would only be a $8K car .

I don't really follow the Cab market, and yes, the SC was the first year of the Cab, but imho, over $20K would require a really excellent example.. not one strewn with rock chips and I am sure Ohio is not a strong market for these cars either.
1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 05-06-2010, 02:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for thre input - all valuable. To answer several questions: it is a triple black cab that has a top that is in good shape and a rear window that is in excellent shape. No LSD or Sport Seats. No compression numbers but engine is in excellent shop. No known accidents and 100% original paint. Here are several pics that give everyone an idea of what it is ...

Note: I did see where a very clean reb/black SC Cab went for $20k on ebay.

Last edited by vesnyder; 05-07-2010 at 03:24 AM..
Old 05-07-2010, 03:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Nice looking car but I could never sell it to someone I know for that kind of money. I dont even like my neighbor and I would not sell it for 28k to him. His massive tre fell on my property and he would not remove it since the letter of the law says he is not responsible.

Sorry but low 20's is probably closer to fair value on both sides maybe even 20 even
93 RSA, 964 Speedster, other 964 coupes
89 Turbo Ruf mods,1990 e30 M3
Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm almost certain that all U.S.-delivered '83 cabs were only available with leather sports seats. It was a way to keep the sticker price up vice the other models.

How many owners has your cab had?

Brian
Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

There has been an '87 cab on the market in my neck of the woods with the exact same color combination and cosemetics with 77K miles for $21.5. Car has been on the market from the same dealer for over a year, including a stint on eBay. There are no known issues with the car.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I have been able to track most of the owners through the miscalleneous receipts that have stayed with the car and I would guess there have been 6-7. Not sure about the sports seats - I have seen several SC Cabs with the standard seats.

Trader220 - funny you mention the tree because same thing happened to me, except it was my tree - and my insurance guy told me "don't be a good samaritan - that is why he has insurance"? The trunk may be on my property buy anything hanging over someone else's property is his issue? That is what the insurance guys tell me.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The insurance company does not want to pay your claim to them. I hear what you're saying but the "letter of the law" is not always the right thing
93 RSA, 964 Speedster, other 964 coupes
89 Turbo Ruf mods,1990 e30 M3
Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Your car has a lot of "personalization" that may make it a harder sell. There is, I think, a growing portion of buyers for '80s 911s who want it to appear just a certain way. To those buyers, your personalizations can be a negative. If your neighbor likes them, that would make you lucky.
1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
I agree with you on the "personalization", and even though all of them can be reversed it may not be what certain buyers are looking for - and ultimately makes it that much harder for me to sell! But, you have to admit, all of my "personalizations" are in good taste ;-).
Old 05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

So next question. What is a ROW cabriolet worth with less than 100k miles and in excellent condition, standard black white or red color? Less than $20k or more?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
As far as your personalization goes, I would consider those more upgrades. Stereo upgrade is common, shocks would've needed to be replaced sooner or later anyway, and the sport exhaust is also a very common upgrade. I would think those would be selling features, not turn offs. But then again, that's just my opinion.
music: www.christienledroit.ca
Old 05-08-2010, 09:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I may be wrong but I hope not because I just bought one but the 83 Cabriolet is a one year only car and the first 911 cab. I think they are a good investment, I sat around waiting to buy a 356 and now the value is though the roof. Four years ago I had a chance to buy a 63 356 cab and passed on it the guy wanted 26.5K needing total restoration I offered 20K. Anyhow a friend of mines brother bought the car and restored it and has been offered a 100K for it.

I don't know if the first 911 cab will ever do anything like this but I don't think they are going to get cheaper, and sitting around waiting for one is not the thing to do or you'll be like me standing there saying I remember when. I say if your buddy wants to pay that much so be it. I'm sure he has done his research, I think there is alot of value in knowing the cars history. 28K is alot but if he were to buy a car he didn't know anything about he could send thousands to get a car in like condition.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: