Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1985.5 944 NA 6k?

Ok, I've been peppering the boards with noob questions and I swear this is the last one

Is it crazy to spend 6k for the 1985.5 NA with 99K below, or ANY NA for that matter?

Porsche 944/2, 1985 classic car, $6900 or best offer

I have yet to see it but the owner says it is the cleanest one around.

Thats really stretching the budget, but I've read you should buy the best you can afford, and apparently one of the worst cost jobs (clutch) has been done.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoyle View Post
Ok, I've been peppering the boards with noob questions and I swear this is the last one

Is it crazy to spend 6k for the 1985.5 NA with 99K below, or ANY NA for that matter?
Too much money for an series 2 N/A, IMO. If you like it, PPI & offer 4K, 4.5K if you must, leave a phone # and walk away.

BTW "half-leather"? I used to think mine were too. But apparently they're either full leather, or "leatherette" and cloth. It's very easy to tell once they crack or split...

Quote:
Thats really stretching the budget, but I've read you should buy the best you can afford, and apparently one of the worst cost jobs (clutch) has been done.

Thanks!
A 944 just isn't a budget car to run. Timing belt will cost you $1,000 every 15,000 miles, unless you do it yourself - book time is 8 hours on an N/A (and at least 12 on a 951).

Fear the 944 timing belt. It's the longest serpentine belt on any motor ever (with the sole exception of the 928, which is basically two 944's on the same crankcase)... Tension @ 15,000 and replace @ 30,000 is a prudent schedule, even though the factory says "tension every 15,000 & replace at 45,000", enough have snapped at 44,000 miles to ignore that.

You don't want a $6-8K rebuild (it will almost always take 3 valves and a piston). The 944 is very definitely an interference motor.

Decide for yourself what to think of that belt getting replaced @ 80,000.

Most of the 944 guys on this forum a few years ago (when I owned mine) wouldn't turn a car over if they were looking at it with that old of a belt fitted. BTW, it's 4,000 miles overdue for tensioning by my reckoning...

I'd say a water pump (which really aren't cheap - or easy to get to, unless you're doing the belt anyway) is in that car's future. Probably quite soon. Original ones seem to generally last between 90,000 and 120,000, mine had been updated to the later turbo pump - and went out anyway, shredding the timing belt - which was hanging by a thread when the cover came off. Shop told me to go buy a lotto ticket...

By the time I sold my '86 N/A 30,000 miles/3 years later, I'd spent as much or more in routine maintenance and just fixing things that didn't work (or stopped working) as I had to buy it in the first place.

Comfortable daily driver and a very capable high-speed tourer with nice manners. But arguably too heavy/underpowered to be a good sports car - plus I think 911's are cheaper to maintain and almost bulletproof by comparison.

HTH.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

There are plenty of 944's out there in as good as/better condition than that one. As pointed out above, you are already 2/3 of the way into the life of the timing belt presently on there and HTH is spot on about replacing it at 30K miles. However it is something you can do yourself if you have basic mechanical skills. The seller is living in a dream world if he thinks he is going to get $6900. That is a $4500 car.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
T

BTW "half-leather"? I used to think mine were too. But apparently they're either full leather, or "leatherette" and cloth. It's very easy to tell once they crack or split...

HTH.
Funny. thanks for the detailed info!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot 911 View Post
The seller is living in a dream world if he thinks he is going to get $6900. That is a $4500 car.
Actually, I first thought it was a turbo at his asking price.

I spoke to him and he said he couldn't really go below 6k. I kinda tried to explain that although I'm sure it's a wonderful car, its too expensive for what it is. My job as a buyer isn't to absorb his cost or ownership.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: