Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sepia 72 T Targa on the for sale page

Curious why this car hasn't sold? Not mine, but I have a 71 T Targa so I'm interested. Because it's a Targa? Is it the color? 72 is a desirable year. Seems like he's not that far off on price.

Maybe Targa's just don't bring as close to a coupe as I thought. My car is in good shape mechanically and I'm resisting the urge to drop $ into it, especially if it's not ever going to be worth worth as much as the Sepia car is asking. Mine is originally silver, red now.

Tom

Last edited by RD911T; 06-19-2012 at 09:55 AM..
Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Couple issues with the car that may be hurting price. First, the original MFI system has been replaced with carb's. I am a fan of Webers, but original MFI cars are worth more - at least a few thousand. Another issue is the dirty engine compartment and lack of trunk and underside photos.
The sepia color might be hurting it a bit, but the market seems to have turned a corner on sepia and it s popularity has increased over the past few years. One other thing that might put people off are the photos of the car with water on it. Water hides a lot of clear coat damage and fading. The seller would be wise to have the car buffed out by a professional and have the engine bay detailed.
The car should sell not far from hi ask price if the underside is clean and the car passes a PPI..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Its a T so it should have carbs anyway, only E and S have MFI, Nothing wrong with car except the price, seems T's are only getting mid to low 20's at the moment.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesaway View Post
Its a T so it should have carbs anyway, only E and S have MFI, Nothing wrong with car except the price, seems T's are only getting mid to low 20's at the moment.
Wrong, '72T were yellow shroud 2.4L MFI.

Agree the carb replacement is a big let down.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hmmm learn something new everyday. I thought it was that E was german for fuel injection In that case the price is crazy high. Its closer to a 20k car then. Thanks for the education.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesaway View Post
Hmmm learn something new everyday. I thought it was that E was german for fuel injection In that case the price is crazy high. Its closer to a 20k car then. Thanks for the education.
Probably helps to be old enough to have owned one.
I liked my '72T MFI in 1980. Everyone suggested I swap the MFI for then way overpriced carbs - nothing new here. Instead I built an air adjustment stopper and manometer like the manuel. I tweeked the adjustments from time to time to stop lean intake trumpet backfires when they started. Found this was needed about every 2K miles and took less than a half hour. The MFI has a raw sound I miss.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Color is a 4K deduct so Car is Mid 20s easy with carbs if and big if it passes a ppi I would pay the $200 to see its cards before I got to excited,

I am doing a 73 Targa with MFI in a rare desireable color, houndstooth, original undercoat and
dry as a bone, glass out single stage glausurit respray with engine reseal and not concours but hellofa driver finish that I would go accross country in. I have been overed over $40K done and I decided to keep. In Europe a solid #2- 3+ T Targa that passes TUV is 40K Euros but it costs $4k and $6K in taxes
does that help
Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
911 rookie

Garage
Just need to find that buyer that is willing to pay the asking price. Not everyone is overly educated about these cars and understand there valuation. They know that is a fun car search the .net for comparable price and go look at this car and offer a few $K less than what the seller ask and with a handshake its a deal. I sold a non running 73.5 911 T targa for 27K to the first buyer that looked at it. The car came with lots of documentation but non running.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Everyone I talk to says that Sepia is making a comeback. Can it be that when comparing the bright rainbow colors of the early 70's that the conservative subdued Sepia is easier on the eyes and may be more appealing? Whatever, the color never kept me from owning a longhood.

Bob
1973.5T
Old 06-22-2012, 11:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Disclaimer...it's my car and it Sold Pending payment...good bye old friend! Patience is the key...good cars will sell. 2 weeks on the market is not so bad.
1972 911t Targa - SOLD
Old 06-22-2012, 03:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Congrats on the sale!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Great money in this market too. Values not dropping, but buyers are scarce with the Euro contingent almost completely out of the picture at present.

I have owned several Sepia cars, and nothing subdued about them at all, conversely, I find them one of the most striking 'in-person' cars on the road.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Congrat's on the sale.
FYI, Anyone who says that sepia is not a striking color on an early longhood has never seen a good one in person. Here is my 73.5T coupe. There was never a day when this car did not get excessive attention when parked on the street.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Very clean car!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: