Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Any advice on how to find 87-89 3.2??

Hey guys, after 25 years of waiting, I'm finally ready to chase my dream, find my first 911 and have decided on an 87-89 3.2 Coupe (not a red one). I'm scouring Pelican, Craigslist, Rennlist, Autotrader, eBay and PCA Mart to find a well-documented and maintained car, but am finding it tougher than I thought. Lots of not well-taken care of cars out there! Any advice on where else I could/should look? Or is this just a game of patience? Thx.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Patience.. imho, the nice ones are never advertised.. They are word of mouth sales.. so you need to get into the circle of current owners/knowers. Seems every PCA region has someone who knows who owns what and is looking to sell/buy. Not sure where you live, but this might be something to pursue.

Oh.. And Patience. Consider how you want to use the car... Also, even if they aren't "the one", go and get some seat time.. this way you develop a feel for what is a good car or a bad one yourself. Plus, you might find yourself saying "i know I wanted a coupe, but this Targa is great.." or something like that.

Considering your target pool is pretty small, this may take a while.

Is there a reason why you want an 87-89? (don't say G50 because, if you've never had a 911, it really shouldn't matter.. the 915 has its advantages imho)
1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 07-03-2012, 12:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

You're looking at all the right places. As long as your price expectations are realistic (consistent with the current market pricing, whatever that is), it shouldn't take too long. Fortunately, the 87-89 is still "new" enough so that there are still quite a few nice, unmolested ones out there.

I have to disagree with racer's post a bit. These are not '63 Ferrari GTOs that only trade in some shadowy non-public market. Nice ones are advertised all over the place, in all the normal places.

Also, having had over a dozen 911s over the past 26 years, I also disagree on the G50 issue. It's a very different transmission and clutch actuation system from the 915. While many find the 915 setup just fine, it's silly to say that G50/915 "really shouldn't matter" to everyone.

Finally, it's actually really easy to find a very nice G50 Carrera. If you have some flexibility in color, you can likely find a very nice one within an hour - if price is no object. The trick these days seems to be finding a nice one at a price one is willing to pay.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Check...

In the P car section here (listed yesterday), an '89 satin black anniversary coupe 80k+ miles for $36k.

That's a bit high, but there it is if you want it. The '87-'89 is seen as the final development of the original 911 coupe and they demand a premium.

If you want a good driver (non-collector), I'd probably look for more of a "bargain" high mile car that's had some engine/tranny work. If you want a collector low mile version, you have to pay big $$ and then you can't drive it much or it will lose the value that you paid for - lots of fun, huh??

A well adjusted 915 with a Rennshift/Wevo shifter (or internal gateshift) is similar to a G50 in feel, although it's (G50) more robust with better clutch feel. Beware - when a rebuild comes parts (clutch too) parts for a G50 are more expensive than 915 parts. I think you save at least 50 lbs with the 915 as well on the end of the car where it's hard to lose weight.

Excellence had a good article on '84 - '86 Carreras recently - that's the one I would try to snag since the last good bargain 911's (SC's) are getting hard to find these days as well....

Last edited by G450X; 07-04-2012 at 09:40 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks...this is helpful. Let me ask, when I read on these boards that something is a "good driver", what does that mean exactly? Also, what would the general consensus around here be about what "high miles" are? Lastly, to me having records seems absolutely vital...do you guys agree?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If you have a highly reputable mechanic that can give you a very complete PPI then you might consider a car without records. But in my opinion records are important, and they make a care more sale-able, and maybe even add a little value.

i think a lot of people consider high miles to "start" around 150K+.....but everyone is different. Some get nervous when they see a 130-140K car without engine work. it always amazes me how many 100-150K cars have had total engine rebuilds. What matters the most is how the car has been maintained. I prefer a 160-170K car that has been maintained (records to prove it), is well sorted and well taken care of over a 100K car that has not been taken care of.

Drivers to me are the sellers way of saying the car has some cosemtic blemishes, which most of these cars do. Doesn't mean it hasn't been taken care of, but it has been driven. probably has lots of stone chips, some scratches, maybe a dash crack, wear on seats....etc. Just my opinion
Old 07-04-2012, 05:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Free Exams All November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9one1 View Post
Thanks...this is helpful. Let me ask, when I read on these boards that something is a "good driver", what does that mean exactly? Also, what would the general consensus around here be about what "high miles" are? Lastly, to me having records seems absolutely vital...do you guys agree?
I think most would consider 150,000 or more as "high miles" on an 87-89.

Me, personally, for those years I'd look for something with less than 80-90K miles. They are out there, and if you look hard and can act quick, you can get one for the same, or not much more, than a 120K mile car.

I don't think having records is "vital" at all. What is vital is the condition of the car. Sure, it's nice to have service records, and all other things being equal it's nicer to have them than not, but those pieces of paper don't make a good car bad, or a bad car good.

For example, an '88 with 80k miles, all original paint, good leakdown and compression numbers, that cosmetically shows like 80K miles and passes an inspection by a competent mechanic - I'd have no problems buying that without any records at all.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Very difficult to find a car between 60K & 100k mileage for under $25,000. Last week there was one locally listed for $22,000 w/ 104K and it sold within two days. Have your money ready and be decisive, low mileage G50s have become rare cars as they are a best in class model.

You are looking in all the right places. I would also contact all your local Porsche dealers as they get them as trade- ins. Let them know you are looking. If money is not the issue check Sloan, Holt, RAC, Truspeed or EC type of retailers. They are always good for a car in inventory.

Holt currently has 11 in stock.
Holt Motorsports - used porsche 911 dealer, certified pre owned, porsche 911,porsche 993,porsche 996

G R Auto in Grand Rapids has four that fit your requirements.
GR Auto Gallery

It should also be noted that under 100,000 mile, cars are normally a third car and a beloved motor!
O #4

Last edited by Macroni; 07-05-2012 at 02:42 AM..
Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

So it seems also like there is a significant premium paid for coupes over targas, or? I just passed on a pristine '88 blue Targa with 73k miles, 100% original, all docs, new clutch and in excellent shape. Seller was asking 22.5 and yes it sold in 3 days. If that car was a coupe, what do you think the price could have (would have) been? I don't know why, but I'm just more drawn to the coupes!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
I don't think there's a "significant" premium paid for targas over coupes. That's one of those things that make a car easier or harder to sell - targas are harder to sell, but aren't necessarily worth less than a coupe. Maybe a little bit. It only really becomes worth less when the seller decides they need to move on it quickly. Cabrios, on the other hand, definitely command a premium - maybe as much as $3-4000.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with high-mileage cars as long as 1. the engine health is good (ALWAYS get a compression and leakdown with a PPI) and 2. the interior is in good shape. With 3.2 911s, generally #2 is going to be the problem - the car will be mechanically sound, but it will show the cosmetic wear of 150k+ miles.

I just sold an 86 coupe with 73k miles. I got 24k for it, though that was here in Canada, and cars here cost at least 10% more than they do in the states. That said, that was my full asking price, and it was priced very fairly in this market (I had lowered it once from my original ask of 25). It was in pristine condition cosmetically and mechanically (though the buyer found a problem with the steering rack within the first day, which I paid to have fixed).

There was someone on here that kept bumping a WTB, looking for a 3.2 under 100k miles and under $20k. I think that's unrealistic. Sure, you may find that car eventually, but it might take months, even years. Up to 86 (915 transmission) I think you can expect to pay around 20, maybe low 20s, for sub-100k. 87-89 G50 I think you're into the mid-20s minimum for a car that more or less needs nothing.

If you're realistic about your price and condition (a 25-year-old car is never going to be perfect) then you should be able to find one fairly easily. It may take a few weeks, even a few months, but hey, that's half the fun!
music: www.christienledroit.ca
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I was in the same boat.... I knew I wanted a 3.2 Carrera and it took me 2 yrs to find a decent one. I was looking at the same sites as you are but preferred to find one within 200 miles of Atlanta so I know that was limiting myself. I wanted a coupe for sure (no Targa's), year didn't really matter. Coupes are harder to find. Nothing wrong with the Targa's but a buddy has one and it's noisier and more prone to leaks if you plan to drive as much as possible like me. My price range was around $15k which is reasonable for the kind of car I wanted (a driver, not a low mileage garage queen). Ended up scoring a sweet '87 with 141k for $17.5k. Bought it on the spot cause it just felt good and was in beautiful shape. Had most of the records, seller was up front and honest and nothing about the car spooked me. A PPI is always smart but I had looked at enough to know this one was a keeper and wouldn't last. I believe the seller only had it listed for a day when I bought it.

The is my first 911 so I don't have lots of experience with them. All I can say is drive as many and you can, whether it's a car you would actually buy or not. This helps to compare the good ones from the bad ones so if you do come across a good one, don't be afraid to jump on it. They go quick.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I looked for months for a 87-89 Carrera, eventually I bought a local 86 Targa with 130K, but had 10K in engine rebuild having only done 2K on the new engine for a steal. I'm going to freshen the interior up, rebuilding the pedal cluster (feels old) short shifter and get some seat time. Driving it the first time I thought I had made a terrible mistake, now I cant stop thinking about driving her. Modern cars have spoilt us. A 70K car with no engine work scares me, because i don't want to get lumped with a top end rebuild.

If you want to drive it, buy high miles and well loved. If you want a garage queen, drop some cash and avoid long drives!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I think the most important thing you can do right now is establish your lists of criteria; firm and open. We know you want a not red coupe but what are you going to do with the car? Daily/regular driver? Garage queen? What condition, mileage, options do you want/not want?
How much you're willing to pay will be a part of the criteria as well. I'd encourage you to throw those out there so that the board can both keep their eyes open as well as let you know if you're being realistic with your expectations.

And, as said before, when you find one that hits all the right buttons, be ready to pull the trigger immediately. Good quality G50's and 993's priced appropriately get sucked up in very short order. I did a feeler on my 89 coupe last month and had a dozen (mostly legitimate) inquiries in a matter of hours. The car will go back out on the market as soon as I find a decent 993 to replace it with.

One last thing. Buy Pete Z's book on how to buy a used 911. That thing is fantastic at making you a much more informed buyer. My copy was pretty ratty by the time I made my purchase.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

This is amazing...I feel like I have a universe of people who "get" my near obsession with finding my 911! Thank you all. To answer the question of my expectations and to be open with the group, here's what I'm thinking...

-BUDGET:
----Prefer a sub-80k G50 car, with good clutch, original paint, very clean and as factory-stock as possible. I really want original paint, good history and all components/features as factory stock as possible. Expecting to pay low to mid-$20s, with possibility of high-$20ks for pristine example.
----Open to a 100k-130k driver, that's had some engine and tranny work done. Car would need to be accident free and my preference is for original paint. Seems high teens to $21k is ballpark for a G50 here, depending on condition.

-GENERAL PREFERENCES: Partial power seats are needed--full power restricts space. Also, if AC is converted and has some life in it, that would be great. Color is pretty much anything but red, with #1 choice being silver/grey. Prefer no tail, but maybe a tail will grow on me (no pun). I am willing to travel.

Overall, I am hoping to find a car that was cared for as well as I know I will care for it and that I can look after for many years.

Last edited by 9one1; 07-08-2012 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Previous post too long
Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I thought I would contribute to this forum some of the recent cars that I either missed, passed on or learned about after-the-fact. I hope this is of value to others here.

-87 Coupe White/for Tan. 39k, garage queen, new tires, 30k service, spoilers, mint car, all records. Asked $29k, sold $28k last week.
-88 Targa Blue/Linen. 73k, new clutch, all original, new top, pristine condition, 2 scratches, leather perfect, every record since new, new tires, perfect Fuchs. Asked $22.5k sold for $22k last week.
-87 Coupe Blue/Grey. 119k, new clutch, no engine work, original paint, very clean, driven but not tired, no tail. Asked $20k, sold for $19k in May.
-86 Coupe Red/Black 19k. All original, pristine, no issues. Sold to Germany for $29.5 in May.
-87 Coupe Black/Black 73k. Aftermarket radio and wheel. Some scratches on original paint with quarter panel repaint. Rip in driver's seat, needed struts. PO did his own work. 2-owner car. Asked $23.5K sold for $22K in June.
-87 Coupe Red/Black 98k. All records from Indy shop, original paint, clean car but not super clean. New clutch, some oil leaks. Asked $21.5K, sold for $17K in June.
-86 Targa Grey/Maroon 54k. Cosmetically perfect, min. maintenance in last 5 years. Rubber dry on car. Top had creases. Panel on driver seat came undone. Asked $20.5K, sold for $19.3K in June.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on patience. The right one will come....just dont try to jump the gun and get a car that you're not pleased with. I would also go around to the local p-mechanics and see if they have any insight. Many mechanics in my neck of the woods know about owners and cars better than any website could tell you. They can lead you to someone that is thinking about selling, a car they may have in storage, or any deals going around.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Be PATIENT about finding the right car, not necessarily about adhering to your budget. You will never forget it if you buy the wrong car, but you will quickly forget paying a bit too much.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Patience is the key.

I spent three years searching before I found the one I wanted.

If you rush and purchase one without a thorough inspection you may end up in this situation:

A dark day for me... - Rennlist Discussion Forums
05 Jetta GLI
Old 07-09-2012, 12:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

OK, so that last message by @GothingNC scared the s*** out of me and validated how important a PPI is. The first 911 I (naively) made an offer on was a "great deal", until the PPI told me otherwise. Best $250 ever spent and I learned a bunch about what to look for.

When I read through one of the posts on that last link, it mentioned how many of these cars are snapped up moments after becoming available by car flippers/brokers who buy them sight unseen only to send them to Germany at a hefty profit. In the list that I posted above, 3 of them went that way exactly. As one of those guys who finally saved enough $$ for his dream car, I just can't justify the risk of buying a car site unseen without a PPI. I guess the "cost" of that is a drawn out search! I mean, would anyone here buy site unseen without a PPI??
Old 07-09-2012, 02:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Nice low mileage Black 85 Coupe in Atlanta with Sport Seats

1985 Porsche Carrera 911 - European Model - Orig. Owner

86 Targa $22K

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3087217852.html

Another 86 Targa

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3127750544.html

915 gearbox shifts fine when it is in normal working condtion.
05 Jetta GLI

Last edited by GothingNC; 07-09-2012 at 06:42 PM..
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM

Tags
3.2 , coups

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: