Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Typical Salesman

Garage
79 SC Targa Price Check

Wow, I am seeing 911SC prices all over the board, ranging from 8k through 21k.

Can y'all help me with determining a fair (to both parties) price for my 79SC Targa? I'm trying to assess my current financial situation and determine how to plug this hole I unfortunately created by myself.

Here's what I have/know:
-79 SC (Big Ports)
-Targa
-ReSprayed this white color, done VERY nicely, cannot find mocha anywhere
-Orig Mocha
-132k pampered miles
-No visible rust, no rust known
-BB muffler not installed but going with the car
-Clear title (of course)
-Orange (Euro) lites

Goodies I added:
-Carrera front valence (I like sunken fog lights).
- New H4s
- New Silver Hood emblem
-7+8s
-New Antenna
- New Windshield Trim
- Nardi steering wheel with EXPENSIVE hub + Horn, from Jeff in FL
- New lower dash knee pads + Ash Tray
- C4 power seats re-covered in Cork
- Handbrake is now cork leather
- Shift knob and shaft are now cork leather
- Seatbelt Buckles have a cork leather 'cozy' over them
- new door panels
- MB Quart Speakers
- Moch 1 underdash speakers
- Becker TrafficProI
- Power Door Locks
- Alarm with key fob that beeps when it's set.
- Targa bar painted
- New Targa emblems
- New Targa Rubber
- New Targa Metal Trim
- New Alternator
- New Driver's Inside Door Handle (Don't ask)
- Strut Brace
- Duck Tail

Here's a link to pictures I took a few years ago; the only thing that has changed is the duck (from the picture perspective). The duck is not OE, it's a fiberglass one.
Finally proud enough to show pics of my SC

I'd love advice on what to ask; the paint is about a 10 from 10 feet and a 7 or 8 from upclose. Shouldering two mortgages is tougher than I initially thought and I feel I need a little breathing room in my budget, unfortunately, the breathing room appears to be Porsche-sized.

1979 SC Targa - Judy
2010 Lincoln Nav - The Purple People Eater
2008 MBZ E350 - Daddy-O
Old 08-06-2013, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Put the original engine lid back on it. Put the original steering wheel back on it if in nice condition. Sell the Nardi wheel, B&B muffler, and duck lid separately. People may like them but they won't give extra money when buying your car to have them. Can't really help on how to price your car since I don't pay a lot of attention to targas.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

I agree with the lid but you have done a tasteful job with the rest of the car. Current photos obviously are a must. On your original thread you list items you wanted to get to. I would make a note on those you did get to and even update that original thread. Those who are going to look at it if you list it here will no doubt ask if you did address those items.

Great looking car!

Looking at the markets I would expect you can get high teens to 20 or so.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
ASE Master Tech - 35 yrs

Garage
current comparo - cash buyer

SC sold at B-J Reno auction - $8900

If it works, take it apart and find out Why.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I would compare this to Dgritz famous green targa - the greem may ad an extra grand or so but I think you get the picture.

1 sale 12 grand

2 sale 25 grand

3 sale 35 grand.

Seriously if you sell this for less than 20 grand you will be giving money away.

Start out with 25ish, imo.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Its a shame the color was changed form Mocha to white. I think Mocha would have gotten you more $ in the current market, especially with the wheels and interior.Personally I dont like the steering wheel. The other mods are OK but the car is not an original survivor. You dont list much mechanical work, its all cosmetic..
You can ask what you want but I would expect mid to higher teens for the car.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Cosmetically it looks like a $20k+ car, but with no information on the engine and transmission it is impossible to accurately gauge value.

If neither the engine nor the tranny has been rebuilt, the clutch is original, original/uncertain head studs, and you have not upgraded the chain tensioners, you are probably looking $14-16k.

Add a little for each major item that has been addressed.

With a refreshed transmission, top end + head studs, tensioners, you could probably start around $25k and expect to sell it well north of $20k, depending on how you want to wait and how much effort you put into the sale.

I think the "return to stock" advice is sound. The steering wheel looks phenomenal with that color combination, but it is selective appeal -- many in the community dislike wood wheels on impact bumper 911s. Curbside appeal is a factor in attracting buyers, but it won't return as much value as selling it separately.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
non-whiner

I like the interior and the wheel looks great. I think you lose a few grand for a targa, so I'd give it $15k. BTW, that looks like Alpine White to me. Same color as my 74 911.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
I like the interior and the wheel looks great. I think you lose a few grand for a targa, so I'd give it $15k. BTW, that looks like Alpine White to me. Same color as my 74 911.

Looks like 182 chiffon white. However it was not available in 79. Maybe a paint to sample. What does the plate in the door jamb say?

Alpine Weiss is a BMW color.

Last edited by christiandk; 08-11-2013 at 07:46 AM..
Old 08-11-2013, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
non-whiner

Alpine White is a Porsche color, code L90E P1, but it also was available on VW, BMW, etc.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
Alpine White is a Porsche color, code L90E P1, but it also was available on VW, BMW, etc.
I stand corrected, thanks. Was it available in late 70's?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
non-whiner

No, but as it is a respray, it could have been any time or color. Mine is a 74, but some po added the interior and exterior panels from an 84 930. The 930 was probably alpine white and they then resprayed the entire car alpine white.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Typical Salesman

Garage
Thanks guys for all the input. You are all right, the 'trim' is what I've been focusing upon, as the car was a princess; pampered and washed every third day (I have the receipts to show that from the PO). The testament to that is all of the battery receipts I have…he ate up batts due to the vehicle sitting till he installed a battery kill; since in my care, I removed the battery kill and make it a point to drive it every few weeks; even just to the drug store.

I also agree, I like the mocha color, however, this white/ivory color on cork is fantastic, and the quality of spray; unbelievable. I've had the front and rear windows, gas tank, and carpet out (and much more), and no brown can be found EXCEPT underneath the door panel; that's it.

I don't believe the engine has been rebuilt, I have a mountain of receipts from the PO; mostly of him having the undercarriage of the car washed...I think he was a neat freak; the only mechanical work I have had done is a master cylinder, brake switches, and 2 alternators over the past 10 years (not counting maintenance of course).

The clutch has been replaced about 30k ago (in 1992); and the trans was "gone through" at the same time. I will peruse the receipts harder to see if there is more to that story.

If it goes for the 8800 mark the auction commanded, it’s not worth my efforts to sell; my daughters love it too much and I do too. I was hoping EXTREMELY low 20s or very high teens would be the selling price.

Thank you to everyone for your advice! It is much appreciated…

1979 SC Targa - Judy
2008 MBZ E350 - Daddy-O
Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Typical Salesman

Garage
Beautiful 930 by the way!

1979 SC Targa - Judy
2008 MBZ E350 - Daddy-O
Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Disregard that 8900 auction car -- it is a complete anomaly.

Any running, non-rusty 911 with a clear title is worth 10k. Strip yards will pay that much to buy them and part them out.

Your color combination is nice -- and a car with great cosmetics appeals to a wide audience, even if it is not top notch mechanically. A Porsche enthusiast might avoid your car or want a steep discount due to the the color change and mechanical questions, but it is still appealing to a broad market -- and these cars are hot.

You might well get $20k for it on ebay -- cars are "worth" what a given buyer will pay for them. And a great looking car can attract someone willing to pay a premium that the general, more knowledgable market would not.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

that is a nice car but I hate the wood steering wheel and the chrome wheels on that car... it is like a mishmash of styles. put some dull black Fuchs wheels and a leather steering wheel and it will sell.

I also think your quote sucks...I would rather commute in a nice car than have it sit in the garage. i guarantee you no one a the Porsche factory thinks that way.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
As another data point, I paid $13k for a '78 Targa a couple months ago:

Not perfect, but a VERY nice driver.
And yes I know, the front bumper is fugly!

And I agree with schumicat, your quote sucks!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK911 View Post
As another data point, I paid $13k for a '78 Targa a couple months ago:

Not perfect, but a VERY nice driver.
And yes I know, the front bumper is fugly!

And I agree with schumicat, your quote sucks!
Buy an original bumper and put the rear bumperettes back on and you can make a flip Dgritz style ( no offence Dgritz).
Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

bk911 unless that car is a rustbucket or has engine problems you got a hell of a deal on that car.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
Well, she wasnt perfect. I did have to add some air to the tires.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: