Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Who cares.....once a car is paid for then it’s theirs. Regardless of registration etc. and from there it’s theirs to sell at whatever price they want and whatever someone else is willing to pay.

You want to find good deals then start spending hours searching. Or you may just get lucky.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 901toPDK View Post
... Question for you or the thread? If you are a Porsche Car Business, and you do not have a dealer license, what does that make you? I seem to see this often. I intended to buy a car and asked about a warranty. I assumed they offered a used car warranty, but they said they were not a dealer. This is despite selling a lot of cars and listing their business online as a car seller. Is that Title Jumping or worse?
In CA as a private party you can transfer up to 5 vehicles in a 12 month period. More than that and you are operating as a dealer without a dealer license which is against the law.

If you are buying and selling Porsche's or any other car as a private party without paying sales tax on the transaction, most states have an issue with that.

Many of these laws are focued on consumer protection. Dealers must be insured and bonded to protect the buying public. If you buy from someone that is title jumping you open yourself up to risks if there are issues getting the car titled, or if the car has significant undisclosed damage, title brand issues etc. Its rampant in CA with a significant number of people advertising as private parties but are operating for profit. We have a few of them on this site. CA operates sting operations frequently, so its just a matter of time.

Even dealers can get burned. I have a friend that purchased a late model Z06 that looked perfect and was sold green light at a wholesale dealer auction. The car had been totalled, clipped and resold at the auctions in less than 2 weeks. They did this because it takes some time for a branded title to show up on car fax or other title check services. Because the car was green light, my friend ended up getting his money back.

The only reason my friend caught it, was the HUD was not working so he brought it to a Chevy dealer where they found that the HUD was actually a piece of dark plexy backed by wood. The dealer tore into the car and found it had been clipped at the firewall. In a situation like this where that was not caught and then sold through the dealer, the purchaser would have recourse through the dealerships bond and insurance.

If you bought the same car through a "private party" you would be SOL. Trust me, this stuff goes on all the time, and people have made careers out of buying wrecked cars, cars with issues etc, repairing/patching them up, then claiming to be selling as a private party for their 'friend, cousin, uncle, sister etc'

David

Last edited by David Borden; 08-02-2018 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: sold green light
Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Borden View Post
Trust me, this stuff goes on all the time, and people have made careers out of buying wrecked cars, cars with issues etc, repairing/patching them up, then claiming to be selling as a private party for their 'friend, cousin, uncle, sister etc'

David
Believe nothing, believe nobody, expect disappointment.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

1974 911 Targa
Old 07-09-2018, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
so get this. ive never actually copped to this publically but when I bought my 996tt in dec 2015 from Nevada and brought it home I went to a local place that had DMV registration services and smog testing. passed smog and I paid registration, transfer fees and for the new CA license plate his service provided all in one stop less that a week after getting it home. notice I said nothing about tax??

I was to have the title sent to me by the dmv at a later date. I figured I would get a bill for the tax from the dmv prior to them sending me the title. well like 3 weeks later the title shows up in the mail with no bill!! still figuring someone would catch on and id be tagged for tax at some point I wait. well 3 months go by and nothing from the dmv. every day I walk out to the mailbox expecting a bill for multiple thousands of dollars and a lump in my stomach. nothing.

just about the time I thought I was getting over a envelope from the dmv shows up that I do not recognize as the standard registration renewal. lump in tummy!! figuring my gig is up I reluctantly open the envelope to find it's simply a license renewal notification!! winning.

I sold the car like 10 months after I bought it and figured the DMV might notice at that point no tax was collected when the buyer went to the dmv to register it. he got it registered and I did the concerned walk to the mailbox for another 6 months and nothing ever became of it. per everything I'd read I was to have to pay state of CA tax on any out of state purchase minus any tax I paid in the state it was purchased from. never paid a dime. still I walk to the mailbox with a sinking feeling some dayz...
Funny story. Same thing happened to me!
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 07-09-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Nothing wrong with flipping a car. If I'm the seller I am entitled to sell at whatever price I see fit regardless of what was my purchase price. Why? because if I take the time(which is money) to seek out the car and do all the proper steps to complete the purchase, I should be able to do what I want with it. If I decide not to title the car because I decided to sell it then that's my business. If a buyer doesn't feel comfortable purchasing the car because it's signed by someone else then that is the buyers prerogative. While it may not be favorable to jump a title it does happen. Life is about choices. By the way....jumping titles in the Classic car business may be favorable for many buyers who are passionate about owning a car with as little owners as possible...equates to higher values for many!
Its well beyond unfavorable... its illegal. Yes people do it all the time, people do crystal meth all the time also.

I did reluctantly buy a car with a floated title recently though. I could not risk the deal slipping through my fingers... someone would have come behind me and bought it probably that same day.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans65 View Post
Its well beyond unfavorable... its illegal. Yes people do it all the time, people do crystal meth all the time also.

I did reluctantly buy a car with a floated title recently though. I could not risk the deal slipping through my fingers... someone would have come behind me and bought it probably that same day.
Sometimes you do what you do to get a car. As I conveyed above I have bought more than my share. I choose to follow the law in my own business and as such always title a car before I sell it.

I even sold my 86 to my father and bought it back 6 years later, even though it was always my car. He took it to Utah, so we titled it there. Would have been such a hassle to bring it here to smog every other year. We paid the taxes. He paid me what I paid for it and I bought it back for the same.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-13-2018, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post

I even sold my 86 to my father and bought it back 6 years later, even though it was always my car. He took it to Utah, so we titled it there. Would have been such a hassle to bring it here to smog every other year. We paid the taxes. He paid me what I paid for it and I bought it back for the same.

CO & UT do not recognize immediate family title transfers with no tax? even CA gives a break in these instances.
78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 07-13-2018, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
CO & UT do not recognize immediate family title transfers with no tax? even CA gives a break in these instances.
To be honest, we didn't even look into it. Him taking the car was something that quite literally hatched over lunch. By the end of the visit, he owned the car, had cancelled his flight, and drove it home.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-13-2018, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)

Most all major classic car dealers Iíve ever dealt with gladly purchase open titles.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpweiss9953 View Post
Most all major classic car dealers Iíve ever dealt with gladly purchase open titles.
Dealers can do that.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-02-2018, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: