Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Flipper spotting!

In this thread, we show before/after ads of flippers (by Googling the VIN)
Some commentary on the specific cars might also be instructive.
I have no beef with flippers as long as they are transparent.
If you find a $10 widget for $2, good for you. You made $8.

Bought for $18,500
Sell used 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa 90k Well Maintained in Stowe, Vermont, United States, for US $18,500.00

Now selling for $30k
Porsche Carrera Targa
Old 02-20-2014, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Kind of Blue

Garage
$31,000 for an '84 Targa. Good luck with that.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Oh gee....Capitalism at work.....who cares what a car sells for...two things make a transaction ...a buyer and seller. I been around cars all my life and you must be very native to think cars are not sometimes sold as a profit....did I say profit...a dirty word to some.

I am just glad people are willing to buy these cars new, because it creates jobs and then someday I can then buy them used....
Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgwollet View Post
Oh gee....Capitalism at work.....who cares what a car sells for...two things make a transaction ...a buyer and seller. I been around cars all my life and you must be very native to think cars are not sometimes sold as a profit....did I say profit...a dirty word to some.

I am just glad people are willing to buy these cars new, because it creates jobs and then someday I can then buy them used....
Did you read my OP?
The intent of this thread is NOT to bash flippers.

It is to vicariously appreciate the adventures of flippers,
and get a sense of their action.

I really wish the 2040 site would show the dates of the ads it captures and archives.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe the original seller read one of your market assessments when he priced his Targa at $18.5k
Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
gearhead

Found one...
Road Atlanta RollOver - YouTube
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
PML

I understand your not bashing flippers. And it's good food for thought on data points for Porsches.
I find this site is bias to being knowledgable about pricing.

Beyond pricing is the seller and buyer. I had just a wonderful, longhood for sale at a fair price last month. Buyer one took over 3 hours crawling, looking, talking, poking, under, and around the car. Then decided to much work and low balled me $8,000 below what I was asking. That's OK he is allowed. Then 3 days later a guy looked at the car for a total of 30 minutes, never looking under the car, just walking around and paid me my full asking price.

I have seen this before, some people could not buy a car ever...they just could not pull the trigger. The first looking did buy 5 new Toyotas, but could never buy a used car. The second guy had a much lower worried, life to him was a risk or it might have been wanting it...my point is buyers and sellers make the pricing....
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgwollet View Post
PML

I understand your not bashing flippers. And it's good food for thought on data points for Porsches.
I find this site is bias to being knowledgable about pricing.

Beyond pricing is the seller and buyer. I had just a wonderful, longhood for sale at a fair price last month. Buyer one took over 3 hours crawling, looking, talking, poking, under, and around the car. Then decided to much work and low balled me $8,000 below what I was asking. That's OK he is allowed. Then 3 days later a guy looked at the car for a total of 30 minutes, never looking under the car, just walking around and paid me my full asking price.

I have seen this before, some people could not buy a car ever...they just could not pull the trigger. The first looking did buy 5 new Toyotas, but could never buy a used car. The second guy had a much lower worried, life to him was a risk or it might have been wanting it...my point is buyers and sellers make the pricing....
I have no idea if you have a point.

If it wasn't clear, this is a thread about posting pre and post flipper auctions.
For entertainment value and for seeing cars in the marketplace.
Not about stories of how you sold you car or whatever your point is`.

Please stay on topic, people!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingMyLuck View Post

Please stay on topic, people!
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-20-2014, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Rude dude
Old 02-20-2014, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

And the plot thickens..
1982 Porsche 911SC Coupe - Factory Short Shift |7:31 R&P in AL case | Toyo RA1 Tires | Corbeau TRS seats | M&K 2 in 2 out muffler
Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

There is not a single person on this board who has not flipped a car. For some it just may be a few years between the buy side and the sell side. Who cares?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
There is not a single person on this board who has not flipped a car. For some it just may be a few years between the buy side and the sell side. Who cares?
I've never "flipped" a car.

The 20 or so cars I have bought and sold have all been intended for my personal, long term transportation -- not to turn a profit. Some have been shorter term than others, but I never bought a car intending to sell it within a year.

But I don't have an issue with people who buy & sell cars for profit.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

I was making a point that keeping a car for a month or 20 years means at some point you flipped it.

Unless someone is holding every car they ever bought then they have flipped a car.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
I was making a point that keeping a car for a month or 20 years means at some point you flipped it.

Unless someone is holding every car they ever bought then they have flipped a car.
I think you are being overly broad in your definition of the term.

The difference between buying & selling and "flipping" is admittedly vague, though.

Every dealer buys cars with the express intention of selling them at a profit, and the less money they spend on the car from purchase to sale -- the greater the profit. That is the goal, after all.

Does a "flip" just define a fast resale, or is there some implicit dishonesty involved? Such as:

- exploiting a buyer who doesn't know what they are selling. Not illegal, and not exactly dishonest. Seller has an obligation to know what he is selling. Cavete Vendit is just as relevant as Caveat Emptor.

But this principle definitely gets dodgy at the margins -- like exploiting the widow who thinks her dead hubby's dormant '67S is a VW bug, for example. Getting a "bargain" approaches stealing when you know you are buying an item for pennies on the dollar and you are aware the seller doesn't have any understanding of what the item is. It may be legal, but ethical principles should be higher than the law.

- buying a car with know issues for a discount, then masking the issues (without fixing them) and selling at a big profit. This is obviously dishonest, and is where many dealers get a deservedly bad name.

I'm sure this is all well-trod ground on this board.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Raise your hand if you want some cheese with your whine.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 02-21-2014, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

A flip is generally considered to be a deal where the buyer purchases and then quickly sells for profit. This is a common term in the housing industry too.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

A profit may not always be realized (when, for some reason the dealer/realtor becomes upside down), at which point the "flip" then quickly becomes a "dump".
Old 02-21-2014, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: