Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
War584

Garage
Value of 1980 SC - Convertible Conversion

Pricing? Thoughts on a 1980 SC Cabriolet conversion. White / Black. Paint in very good condition and interior all original. 180K miles on chassis but 1K on completely rebuilt engine (pistons/values/etc.). All mechanical are in really good working order and the car is really solid.

Car has been modified:

- Formerly a targa. Professional conversion with brand new roof, supports, etc.
- Cup wheels 7/8 combo.
- Turbo tail.
- 3.2 Carrera front valence with fog lights.

Overall, the car shows really well. Obviously, not original but a nice driving car. $24K-$25K?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Way high, you can buy a rear 911 cab in that range

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 01-23-2015, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No way. Worth less than a Targa. We aren't talking a Ferrari Daytona that had the NART conversion by some guy. I wouldn't pay $16K. I say it's worth $15.9K. I wouldn't go more. Who needs some kind of story or conversion on a common car? A real cab would cost that much. It's never going to be worth it.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Back in the day, some company in the West SF Valley had a kit for cab conversions that was a bunch of flat steel bars that bolted together. They 'blessed' certain shops to do the conversions. So 'professional conversion' has a somewhat malleable interpretation.

If done with factory Porsche parts and with OE or OE equivalent canvas, the car could *almost* be worth as much as an unmolested Targa.

Someone will pay in the low $20s for it - perhaps no one here, but the buyer is out there.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 01-24-2015, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
War584

Garage
Thanks for the info. I questioned the logic of the conversion too, as well as all of the money to make the care something it was not. Trying to get friend who owns it a realistic target on the sale price. The conversion was done using OEM parts at a substantial cost by a well known shop in the area - which begs the question as to why the shop didn't just tell him to sell the targa and buy a cab. Cheers.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by War584 View Post
Thanks for the info. I questioned the logic of the conversion too, as well as all of the money to make the care something it was not. Trying to get friend who owns it a realistic target on the sale price. The conversion was done using OEM parts at a substantial cost by a well known shop in the area - which begs the question as to why the shop didn't just tell him to sell the targa and buy a cab. Cheers.
Heh. Unfortunately, there are a lot of shops more interested in revenue than the interests of their customers. On the other hand, Porsche only made a Cab on the SC chassis for the last year of that model's production. They aren't very common.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 01-27-2015, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

War584

Garage
4 years later...thoughts on value?. Working with owner to make it more original - 6/7 fuchs and a flat engine lid. Car was driven less than 1K miles since my original post.

Obvious pro: new engine. Con: not original cab. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Upper $20s if it's nice.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Porsche

Garage
18-20k
Old 02-22-2019, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

These cab conversions are not that uncommon, and not that hard to do. I’ve seen 3 in the last couple of years. Porsche even published instructions of how to do it. There is a thread in the not distant past about one being converted back to a targa.

Don’t sell it short, there is a butt for every seat. Start at the price for an equivalent cab and go from there.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
Nothing wrong with a well done conversion using factory parts; not difficult to return to stock.

MattR
Old 02-22-2019, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

cab conversion

Best value with all the people here is to sell the rebuilt motor and trans for 15-20k.I see a value here for a driver at 25-30.If it is done well then what could the naysayers buy fo r that?Ciao Fred Good pics would help.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: