Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
gearhead

My kind if hot rod:
Porsche 911 | eBay

I agree with the buy it versus build it thinking in general. You never get the labor back unless you see a stupid run up in prices like we've seen the last 2 years. That applies to both hot rods and restorations.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
My kind if hot rod:
Porsche 911 | eBay

I agree with the buy it versus build it thinking in general. You never get the labor back unless you see a stupid run up in prices like we've seen the last 2 years. That applies to both hot rods and restorations.
Where would you be on price for the build?
Old 08-04-2015, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully67 View Post
Where would you be on price for the build?
I'm sorry, I don't follow the question. What do you mean? How much would it cost to build?
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-04-2015, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't follow the question. What do you mean? How much would it cost to build?
Sorry about that, poor question. What would be a fair sale price in your opinion (a range is fine)? Didn't mean to ask 'what would it cost to build it?'
Old 08-04-2015, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Sorry about that, poor question. What would be a fair sale price in your opinion (a range is fine)? Didn't mean to ask 'what would it cost to build it?'
On that 76? I would be surprised if the reserve is less than $60k. It's a $65-70k car.

Being local, I've seen it in person. It is a well executed car. I'm not a fan of R signals, but that's just a personal thing. Same with the seats. But if you are buying someone's finished project you accept some things not exactly what you want or you change them once you own it.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbridge 74 View Post
I've been feeling the same about IB cars as well. I think the factory did a good job compared to other makes regarding the 5 mph bumpers.

Matt, I have a 74 parts car if you have a list of what you need to get out of slant nose town. Cheap!
Thanks for the offer. If we hit any parts snags I'll let you know. Right now it is well on its way and should be in paint in a week or two.
Living with a mid-year car vs. an SC

It's funny how I've come full circle. I grew up on SCs and 930s. It wasn't until I was at Carquip that some time around 2004-2005 I really started to appreciate the longnose purity of lines. I became obsessed for some years. But now the more "muscular" look of the IB front end is what I am liking. It's not about width. The front fenders on my car will be stock. It's something about that shorter nose that feels more aggressive to me.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

Quote:
My kind if hot rod:
Porsche 911 | eBay

I like the car too but I don't think I can live with the fiberglass fenders. Hood, yea I could but the fenders kill it for me.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Love the look, and the performance mods read great, but I'm cheap.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 08-04-2015, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Hot rods can be fun, BUT you can spend way way more on trying to build your DREAM car then just going out and Trying to find a Running car .. I also got caught in the TRAP of wanting a one of a kind HOTROD Turbo Speedster .. I had seen one built 15-20 years ago when a good buddy of mine built from a 74 Targa tub .. So I thought I can do this .. WRONG .. I started 10 years ago with a 74 Targa Tub then started to gather parts .. Well $50,000.00 later and still not totally finished a Driveable you run out of Time,$$$, and most of all patience because you see all these guys out DRIVING there porsches and yours is sitting another year after year and money after money .. And too Boot Your lucky if you get HALF of what you have invested .. Just pick a model and BUY a Running Car to ENJOY ... Thanks I got that off my chess !! LOL
Old 08-04-2015, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakster View Post
Hot rods can be fun, BUT you can spend way way more on trying to build your DREAM car then just going out and Trying to find a Running car .. I also got caught in the TRAP of wanting a one of a kind HOTROD Turbo Speedster .. I had seen one built 15-20 years ago when a good buddy of mine built from a 74 Targa tub .. So I thought I can do this .. WRONG .. I started 10 years ago with a 74 Targa Tub then started to gather parts .. Well $50,000.00 later and still not totally finished a Driveable you run out of Time,$$$, and most of all patience because you see all these guys out DRIVING there porsches and yours is sitting another year after year and money after money .. And too Boot Your lucky if you get HALF of what you have invested .. Just pick a model and BUY a Running Car to ENJOY ... Thanks I got that off my chess !! LOL
Your ad says 78 tub. Is it 74 or 78?

I wonder what that 82 930 engine would be worth by itself. You might get really close to your ask for just the engine.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-04-2015, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Functionista

Quote:
Makes sense.

Definitely not a replicant you are.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Words of wisdom,
1968 Porsche 911S
1964 356C
Old 08-04-2015, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

gearhead

TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - 1979 Porsche 911 SC Slant Nose
Discuss
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-08-2015, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
calmer than you are

Garage
Quote:
Stated body kit means it isn't a true slant nose (in the factory sense).
Likely isn't quick enough or light enough to be a "true hotrod".
I have a difficult time seeing an aftermarket body kit car appreciate much.

However, it is a steel body kit....and an accurate looking one, imo. Since it isn't truly valuable, it would be fun to make this car a true hotrod. Lighten it up, trick out the engine, suspension...add an lsd. You can go all out on a car like this without the fear of destroying a factory slant nose. It could be very fun, indeed.

I do get a bit nostalgic every time I see a slant nose. While most people may get reminded of Miami Vice and Cocaine Cowboys....I get taken back to my childhood when my uncle Steve as owner/founder of Style Auto sponsored a few 935's...

'86.5 928 S
Old 08-08-2015, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Picts of 73 Tangerine hotrod with twin plug 3.2

Here's a very well executed car. Not a backdate but an excellent restomod with no money spared.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
For me personally, I was really into the longnose look for a long time. I don't know what happened recently, but I'm in impact bumper mode now. The '74 I just bought had a slantnose on it, so I really was able to do just about anything with the car. I picked stock looking, with standard 1974 911S trim with a single exception, SC rear flares. Other than the 7&8" wheels, and those flares, the car is going to look stock on the outside. Long term it will be the mechanicals that get the full once over to make it drive as good as it looks. I'm just guessing, but I suspect when I am "done" I'll be into it for close to $50k. Thank dog it's only half that up front and I can put $5-10K into it yearly for the next 5 years while I enjoy it.
Same here. I had wanted to do a backdate for quite some time, however more recently Im really enjoying the impact bumper cars. 964's even more.

Here are a couple impact cars I though looked great.

Citrus Carreras: early IBs in 911 & Porsche World magazine - Ferdinand
Old 08-08-2015, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Matt. Trying to send you a PM ... mailbox full! What's the best way to contact you?
Old 08-09-2015, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Matt. Trying to send you a PM ... mailbox full! What's the best way to contact you?
You have a little patience.. I get a notice when my box is full and someone is trying to message me. I hate the instant message generation. It's Sunday. I'm hanging out with my family. I pop in and out if places like Pelican throughout the day and there is nothing so important in the world that it can't wait an hour or two.

Nothing personal. I'm happy to help. But even my company emails might go 8 or 10 hours before I answer them. And a long pm will only get an answer when I am at my desk, which might not happen at all on a Sunday.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-09-2015, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
That's some creative math to get to his $70k invested. He bought the car 5 months ago. He didn't pay the $19k to rebuild the engine. I bet he didn't pay the $8k for the gearbox rebuild either. And if the LSD and upgrades are high quality why does it lack the detail of his other items?

For $65k I could buy a nice $35k g50 Carrera and spend another $30k doing whatever the heck I want and have a nicer car. This car isn't even in the same realm as Lars' car or Jeremy Dixon's blue Carrera that brought 71k on BaT last month.
i keep kicking myself in the ass for not just biting the bullet not that Blue Carrera... oh well...

Not sure I'd call the linked red car a hot rod. It's basically got a mildly bored engine, an LSD/LWFW with refreshed tranny, bunch of bolt on parts, refreshed suspension, and a bunch of parts removed. A "hot rod" has a bit more to it in my mind. The car looks ok, looks fun... 2:04 at BW cw13 is respectable for a car like this, i know there is no way I'd get close to that in my stock 89 :-)

OP linked car dropped asking to $56k.
2013 Cayenne Diesel

Last edited by spyerx; 08-09-2015 at 07:51 AM..
Old 08-09-2015, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
You have a little patience.. I get a notice when my box is full and someone is trying to message me. I hate the instant message generation. It's Sunday. I'm hanging out with my family. I pop in and out if places like Pelican throughout the day and there is nothing so important in the world that it can't wait an hour or two.

Nothing personal. I'm happy to help. But even my company emails might go 8 or 10 hours before I answer them. And a long pm will only get an answer when I am at my desk, which might not happen at all on a Sunday.
Oops, didn't realize that the PM system worked that way...my stupidity on full display. My apologies.

I'm with you on the Sunday approach, just went out to get grilling supplies for dinner. Chili rubbed skirt steak and my favorite pub brew if you are ever in the area as a goodwill offering!
Old 08-09-2015, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: