Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Watching the 911 turbo market never hurts. This one is in line (or under) what I have seen in several instances over the last year.

It seems that any turbo under $100k ask deserves to be.

You & I both can recite many just like this that have sold for more than this asking price.
I can't recall a mid 80's Turbo with 65k miles sell for north of $100k. If it was an 89 maybe but I feel like this is a $80kish vehicle.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 383
Garage
Hey I get it. Prices are high, but I for one like that. You wont see me boo-hoo big numbers.

Anyhow:

45k miles, 1986 sold ~ same money

Used 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo for sale in CARMEL, IN | Abreu Motors LLC

62k miles... $117k

1986 Porsche 930 Turbo - Mint Condition for sale #1780617 | Hemmings Motor News

And miles dont seem to be that much of an issue here: 111k mile 930 @ $341k

1976 Porsche 911 Turbo Carrera U.S. Prototype | Monterey 2015 | RM Sotheby's

Lets celebrate success like that man. Not roll your eyes at it.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Registered User
 
2ndTARGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 615
The much discussed Daniel Schmitt company was trying to get $90K for this car earlier this year:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/-/391018543601?

Of course 50% appreciation in 9 months is why everyone wants these cars
__________________
1996 993 Coupe, Tiptronic, Polar Silver
1977 911S Targa - Sahara Diamond Metallic - Sold
1975 911S Targa - Copper Brown Metallic - Sold
Old 10-19-2015, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 383
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndTARGA View Post
Of course 50% appreciation in 9 months is why everyone wants these cars
Man that is way off. That is no way to think. Look to the gent who bought then sold the Steve McQueen 930... He paid what $125k? And it sold for $1.9M right? (look it up)

Moral of the story... It does not matter what it was once priced at.

Commonly there are two types of people. Some congratulate their neighbors when the neighbor wins the lottery. Others spite them and would rather hear of their pending bankruptcy proceedings.

Which one do you want to be?
Old 10-19-2015, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,263
Where you're long the market from has no effect on the current price of the market.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 10-19-2015, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Commonly there are two types of people. Some congratulate their neighbors when the neighbor wins the lottery. Others spite them and would rather hear of their pending bankruptcy proceedings.

Which one do you want to be?
I want to be the type who watches the market dispassionately and can see through the bias of overenthusiastic owners giddy with the wishful prospect of retiring on the eventual sale of their car.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 383
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwerl View Post
I want to be the type who watches the market dispassionately and can see through the bias...
I think that is admirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwerl View Post
...giddy with the wishful prospect of retiring on the eventual sale of their car...
You say it like there is something wrong with that. How could you argue with that point?

A twisted perspective.

I personally hope everybody gets exactly what they want. What could possibly be the harm in that? The market will or wont bear the fruit. If a high priced car sells - Great! Buyer got the car & seller got the funds. If that speeds the sellers retirement you hold that against them?

Think positive because that is twisted.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Registered User
 
2ndTARGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Man that is way off. That is no way to think. Look to the gent who bought then sold the Steve McQueen 930... He paid what $125k? And it sold for $1.9M right? (look it up)

Moral of the story... It does not matter what it was once priced at.

Commonly there are two types of people. Some congratulate their neighbors when the neighbor wins the lottery. Others spite them and would rather hear of their pending bankruptcy proceedings.

Which one do you want to be?
Where to start?...... "Commonly there are two types of people"??? I must have missed that in Psych 101. But good job, you nailed it from just a short post. (I'm jealous of lottery winners.)

The examples you cite are extremes. Several very knowledgeable 930 types above see this particular car as laughably (see title of thread) overpriced. Rebuttals that rely on Sotheby's, Abreu, Hemmings and Steve McQueen are not very useful to the discussion about this car.

Tip: If you run across red sequined women's shoes at a thrift store, grab them fast - Judy Garland's sold a while back for $2M. (look it up)
__________________
1996 993 Coupe, Tiptronic, Polar Silver
1977 911S Targa - Sahara Diamond Metallic - Sold
1975 911S Targa - Copper Brown Metallic - Sold
Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You say it like there is something wrong with that. How could you argue with that point?
I'm saying that it's wise to watch the market without the bias you see often on here/Rennlist coming from owners (and sellers) who take a few exceptional high dollar Sotheby's auctions as a sure sign that the car sitting in their garage is going to buy them a villa in France.

It's those "to the moooon!" cheerleading posts that make me roll my eyes, especially as plenty of cars sit unsold at lower prices - naturally because they're all garbage heaps with seized engines and unreported flood damage that don't deserve to sell, or so the excuses go.

And fwiw, I'd be perfectly happy hearing that my neighbor won the lottery (or just sold Steve McQueen's 911), and I'd congratulate them on their good luck.

Last edited by Skwerl; 10-19-2015 at 05:24 PM..
Old 10-19-2015, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockwall, Texas
Posts: 8,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwerl View Post
It's those "to the moooon!" cheerleading posts that make me roll my eyes, especially as plenty of cars sit unsold at lower prices . . .
Agreed - what some are asking for these things now is nothing short of a joke (as is what a very few are paying for them). And the hype is just hilarious!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,263
Here is another that makes me laugh:

1989 Carrera For Sale
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 10-20-2015, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Wet Side
Posts: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
Here is another that makes me laugh:

1989 Carrera For Sale
Well, that's nothing short of wishful thinking.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Hey I get it. Prices are high, but I for one like that. You wont see me boo-hoo big numbers.

Anyhow:

45k miles, 1986 sold ~ same money

Used 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo for sale in CARMEL, IN | Abreu Motors LLC

62k miles... $117k

1986 Porsche 930 Turbo - Mint Condition for sale #1780617 | Hemmings Motor News

And miles dont seem to be that much of an issue here: 111k mile 930 @ $341k

1976 Porsche 911 Turbo Carrera U.S. Prototype | Monterey 2015 | RM Sotheby's

Lets celebrate success like that man. Not roll your eyes at it.
It's great if you can sell your vehicle for top dollar and I don't think anyone on this thread is rolling their eyes at that.

The vehicles that are being posted on this thread usually have ridiculous asking prices and are usually average vehicles at best. The 1989 911 Carrera classified ad above is a perfect example. 1st post on PP, ****ty picture, 127k miles, hardly any information and the person is asking top of the market pricing for what I guess is a clean driver at best.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,263
This one takes the cake.

Porsche 911 Cabriolet | eBay
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 10-20-2015, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,263
Its not a Porsche but the price still makes me laugh

Fiat Other Pininfarina | eBay
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 10-20-2015, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
This one takes the cake.

Porsche 911 Cabriolet | eBay
Winner. Did they even offer a turbo wing as an option in 87?
Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Winner. Did they even offer a turbo wing as an option in 87?
No... but plenty of people bought the wing and slapped it on
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 10-20-2015, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Registered User
 
2ndTARGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
Its not a Porsche but the price still makes me laugh

Fiat Other Pininfarina | eBay
Singer Italiano? The main thing they may have going for them is a lot of cheap donor cars - er, scratch that - they said they start with rust free donors. So not so many perhaps.
__________________
1996 993 Coupe, Tiptronic, Polar Silver
1977 911S Targa - Sahara Diamond Metallic - Sold
1975 911S Targa - Copper Brown Metallic - Sold
Old 10-20-2015, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
New to Pelican and the porsche market. been browsing the classifieds off and on for awhile now. Just wanted to get some thoughts on what people feel of the the current market...are cars being sold at prices pretty close to hagerty valuations or at even higher levels?

feels like the market is flattening out a little bit, but good cars still seem to go pretty quick. Thanks for any insight.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos60n View Post
New to Pelican and the porsche market. been browsing the classifieds off and on for awhile now. Just wanted to get some thoughts on what people feel of the the current market...are cars being sold at prices pretty close to hagerty valuations or at even higher levels?

feels like the market is flattening out a little bit, but good cars still seem to go pretty quick. Thanks for any insight.
Welcome. The current market is a little out of control in my opinion. Allot of dealers who are into making a quick buck are selling polished up neglected vehicles or overpricing their vehicles for people who use Hagerty as their gauge on pricing.

The good- fair market priced cars will trade hands quickly and you'll most likely never see them on the popular classified sites (ebay, cars.com, autotrader etc...)

If your looking for a concourse classic - #1 condition Porsche you need to hit the auctions or hire a professional to find a gem for your collection.

Take your time & do your research. I'm pretty new to these boards (PP, PCA, Rennlist) but have bought and sold 3 Porsches directly through them in the past 2 years and have met great Porsche enthusiasts. Spend a little extra for a clean/no stories car and be careful for scams/deals 2 good to be true. All the best!

Last edited by specialtyoneinc; 10-20-2015 at 10:54 PM..
Old 10-20-2015, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:36 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2016 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.