Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by techweenie View Post
Yeah, there are always hair-trigger types on Pelican who want to yell 'scam.' I understand people being advised to open an account to send a wire and close it. I've had overseas buyers make (or have the bank make) an error on a wire transfer. And it can take 10 days in any case.

Glad this is moving along.
Whats the purpose or intent of doing this "temporary" account?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajg View Post
A deposit has been received on the car so I'm marking all posts as sold.
I spent 6 hours detailing, waxing and conditioning the car for what is likely the last time. It's all so bittersweet but I do feel confident that the new owner will love, adore, and care for the car.
This has been quite the ride for all of us, hasn't it?

Amanda what was the final price? This info is very helpful to other P-car owners.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)

Quote:
I understand people being advised to open an account to send a wire and close it.
I don't... What's the benefit of doing that?

1974 911 Targa
Old 08-09-2017, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Brooklyn View Post
There is no benefit. There are dumb. paranoid people who advise ***** like that. We all know one or two.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 08-09-2017, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Whats the purpose or intent of doing this "temporary" account?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Brooklyn View Post
Quote:
There is no benefit. There are dumb. paranoid people who advise ***** like that. We all know one or two.
People want to protect their account information. If crooks are successful in impersonating you and you have multiple accounts at the same bank they can get access to all of your accounts with just one account number.
You can think it's paranoid BS until someone starts transferring money out of your money market savings with your stolen credit card number. I now have four banks and seven accounts.
Keep all large accounts separate, don't link any credit cards to a bank you have money with, lock your credit report until you need it and get an RFID blocking wallet.
Technology is getting F-ed up out there and criminals are beating the security measures. Ask me how I know...
Old 08-09-2017, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
Yup, all stupid paranoia until it happens to you.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #266 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
People want to protect their account information. If crooks are successful in impersonating you and you have multiple accounts at the same bank they can get access to all of your accounts with just one account number.
You can think it's paranoid BS until someone starts transferring money out of your money market savings with your stolen credit card number. I now have four banks and seven accounts.
Keep all large accounts separate, don't link any credit cards to a bank you have money with, lock your credit report until you need it and get an RFID blocking wallet.
Technology is getting F-ed up out there and criminals are beating the security measures. Ask me how I know...
How do they get that level of access? My internet banking has two passwords and a token, and requires an additional level of validation for any wire transfer. I'm pretty sure that even if you had my account number and my credit card you couldn't do **** with it.

1974 911 Targa
Old 08-09-2017, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #267 (permalink)

Garage
You are na´ve like I was. The weak link is the call center. And you can't block it! All I need is your CC#, Name, Address, last 4 of social and your phone number. How many times have you put that on a form? I call the call center for the CC with a spoofing device that shows your phone number on the caller ID. They see your phone number on the screen, assume it's you, and ask me a few basic questions. If they ask the password I say "I forgot, I set that up years ago, bla bla bla". They ask the last 4 of the social, at best, for final verification. Remember your phone number is on the screen and they are in customer service with a survey at the end.

Once they are in they can get reminders of what your passwords are, they can transfer money from any account associated with that bank visa, or whatever card it is, from checking, savings and money market. They set up a travel advisory and add additional approved phone numbers and apple pay.

They then proceed to max out the credit card, call and transfer more money to the card and do it again and again as fast as possible. $17k in three days.
I thought I was safe with a low balance card and auto overdraft turned off. Nope they get enough basic info on you and they are in.

So set up every transaction warning you can online and keep your credit cards at a different bank than your money is at. The email notifications are annoying, but better than the alternative. Join Equifax and lock your credit. No new accounts can be opened if it's locked. Why should it be open to anyone all the time anyway?

Or roll the dice. Odds are low now, but I think they are getting higher every year.

Last edited by 1979-930; 08-09-2017 at 07:44 PM..
Old 08-09-2017, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #268 (permalink)
gearhead

I don't have a single credit card linked to any actual bank accounts. Why do people do that? Overdraft protection? Isn't that what savings is for?
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-09-2017, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #269 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Well maybe I'm an idiot. I did not think they were linked either. But if you have a CC, with lets say BofA and an account at BofA, they are linked. Whether you want them to be or not. All it takes is a phone call. Your CC number is a direct link to your bank account numbers. Call them and see for yourself.

Lesson learned.
That is all.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #270 (permalink)
gearhead

I bank with a credit union. My credit cards are with a major national bank. Not linked.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #271 (permalink)
gearhead

My business banking is with Chase. When there's a transfer, I get 2 emails AND a text before the funds are released from my account. If I didn't initiate it, I have so much time to stop it, like more than 24 hours.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-10-2017, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #272 (permalink)

Garage
This trainwreck of a thread popped into my mind when I saw a 911 cab drive by.
I wonder if the 240k mile car ever got sold to the mysterious French buyer.

Last edited by sugarwood; 08-12-2018 at 06:19 AM..
Old 08-12-2018, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #273 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: