Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajg View Post
My dad treated this car with so much love and attention to detail that Im afraid to drive it bc I don't feel like I could ever do it justice. If I wrecked it or broke something on it I would feel AWFUL for diminishing the value.
I was thinking along the same lines. So yes, selling it is the right decision. $30K is a good start. Car's very well kept. I'm interested in your dad's maintenance records if you don't mind sharing them !

GLWS
Old 04-12-2016, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
We DO need to get another car within several months bc my son will be driving. My dad treated this car with so much love and attention to detail that Im afraid to drive it bc I don't feel like I could ever do it justice. If I wrecked it or broke something on it I would feel AWFUL for diminishing the value.
IF we did keep it, would the value just keep going up? What are the benefits of keeping it other than sentimental value?
As Nick said, they are just going up. But the first part I quoted is your sentimentality. It's a car. Cars are made to be driven. It could actually be something you and your 16yo really bond over. My dad entrusted me with a sportscar at 16 and I never wrecked it. He just made sure I understood what it was and that I needed to respect that.

If it were me, I would seriously consider making me kid get a part-time job and make me monthly payments on the car to pay for the insurance. A kid doesn't NEED a car. That's a modern perception. I only got to drive that car in a limited number of circumstances; when my parents needed me to be able to drive somewhere. I took a bus to school when I was 16 or paid gas money to a friend who had a car. That alone taught me a lot of appreciation for how good I had it. In Europe you can't even get a license until you are 18 and it costs several thousand dollars.

It does sound like from a utility standpoint it may be better for you to sell this car. But I present a few things above to think about as you make that decision. Only you know what is best for your family.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-12-2016, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
I was thinking along the same lines. So yes, selling it is the right decision. $30K is a good start. Car's very well kept. I'm interested in your dad's maintenance records if you don't mind sharing them !

GLWS
Sure thing! What maintenance records specifically? I just added pics of the vast amount of paperwork he has for everything ever done to his car. He has every receipt and detail imaginable for this car. He even kept gas receipts (starting in 2005 from what I can tell); which I kept telling him was extreme, but he completely disagreed and says it shows how well the gas mileage is bc he wrote mileage and what sort of trip he was taking on them. He is a detailed man, what can I say?
All work was done thru Harpers Porsche in Knoxville, where the car was purchased and then at Air Cooled Classics by Skip Trammell. Skip has been the only one to work on the car for decades and decades now. Anyone is welcome to call him for opinions on the car or my dad. You will find a glowing report.
Link for updated pics of the car, including pics of the folder of all maintenance records: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nabh9cteoxx9kg1/AABsEDV41evB1pF6pJfLxJHSa?dl=0

You can also learn more about my dad by googling Dr. Alan Jamison....it will give a better story of the type of man that he is. He left an established family practice which he helped build and chose to retire early so that he could travel and volunteer and serve in national disasters and areas who needed help. He pays his own way to do this work and is limited to 2 suitcases. Those suitcases were packed with all the supplies that he purchased to help people in those areas and he packed all of his personal items in just a carry on backpack. He was named Medical Volunteer of the year by Project Hope and also won presidential award from Obama for his work. He has been helicoptered out of Haiti by the Marines, worked among doctors who were kidnapped, worked in the trenches with Ebola, made a real impact and difference in saving babies lives in Uganda thru education and supplies, and saved lives while treating cholera just to name a few. He's an honest, giving, humble man.
http://www.projecthope.org/assets/documents/AAP-News-2015-Wyckoff-4.pdf

Treating disease and disaster: Retired pediatrician to speak on missions

Dr. Alan Jamison Project HOPE's 2013 Volunteer of the Year - Project HOPE
Old 04-12-2016, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
^^^
Wow, after reading that, I'm changing my mind. I recommend keeping that car given its special meaning and future legacy for the family. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone else who would take care of it as well.

About the records, I'm mainly interested in learning from his maintenance regimen, fluid change intervals etc and how he takes care of that car. Like you said, I believe driving habits matter as well.

Last edited by pmax; 04-12-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Old 04-12-2016, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ferrariguyma
Keep the car

figure out a way to keep the car.
(8) cars currently in my garage:1976 Porsche 912E #627 Ascot Green 1986 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Coupe Brown/Tan 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Paint to Sample Brown/Brown 1985 RoW Mercedes 420SEC C126 Coupe Brown/Tan 2013 Smart ForTwo 1of80 Brabus Cocoa Edition Brown/Saddle, 1984 Porsche 944 Dark Brown/Brown 42k miles 1978 Alfetta GTV with a TwinSpark 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 Boston Green/Beige 5speed
Old 04-13-2016, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Sam

Garage
Amandajg,

Another vote here for you to keep the car if you can. Your dad is a very special person and has provided amazing service to many people less fortunate than most of us on PP. (During my Coast Guard career, I was in and out of Haiti and other Caribbean nations a lot - men and women like your dad were the difference between life and death for many people.)

Your dad obviously enjoyed the car as demonstrated by how it has been cared for. If your dad is able to ride in the car, perhaps he could be the adult supervisor for your son - teach him to be a responsible driver who enjoys a classic car.

Look into agreed value insurance which is much less expensive than most other policies if you can live within the restrictions that may apply.

Whatever you will do is right, but I bet this car was one of the very few things your dad did for himself. I hope it works out that you can hold on to the car.

Sam
Old 04-13-2016, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUNCe30 View Post
Amandajg,

Another vote here for you to keep the car if you can. Your dad is a very special person and has provided amazing service to many people less fortunate than most of us on PP. (During my Coast Guard career, I was in and out of Haiti and other Caribbean nations a lot - men and women like your dad were the difference between life and death for many people.)

Your dad obviously enjoyed the car as demonstrated by how it has been cared for. If your dad is able to ride in the car, perhaps he could be the adult supervisor for your son - teach him to be a responsible driver who enjoys a classic car.

Look into agreed value insurance which is much less expensive than most other policies if you can live within the restrictions that may apply.

Whatever you will do is right, but I bet this car was one of the very few things your dad did for himself. I hope it works out that you can hold on to the car.

Sam
You are right. The car is one of the few things he did for himself. He always regretted selling his Austin Healy from his youth too. I think he mourned letting the car go, the day he brought it to me. He does keep asking if we want the car. He is coming in town tonight so I will talk with him more about it. I don't want to regret the decision. He, nor we, need the money so that isn't the issue. The issue is, should we just let it sit here, as he did for the last few years, and not really use it? My son has been driving for 3 years and is a GREAT driver. He drives daily. It isn't the car for him now bc of his lifestyle. He has some ADD issues so imagining him behind the wheel of a 5 speed scares me. He doesn't need any more distractions. I taught him to drive it and he agreed with that too. He is VERY involved in sports and drives to and from ball fields and tracks and has his stinky gear with him.
My dad ultimately wanted the Porsche gone for a few reasons:1, he can't drive it any longer. 2, he wanted space to do wood working and "enjoy the time he has left doing something he loves and enjoys". 3, He has an amazing wood bench and shelves picked out and was going to purchase it with the money from the car. He hates dipping into retirement for something extravagant. He likes the finer things- Sjosbergs Elite 2500 with cabinet...its 2800$.
We COULD just buy the woodworking equipment for him and it would eliminate the issues. My husband and I discussed this and its a possibility. We have space for his car to stay here. He brought it here originally thinking we would keep it for ourselves or for our teen son. We thought about it and thought about it but felt it wasn't the best thing for us practically. But at the same time, the thought of selling it makes me cry every time. I still sit in it at nt and can smell him. Its sentimental. Y'all leave me much to consider.
How hard is it to maintain a car with this many years/miles on it?

Last edited by amandajg; 04-13-2016 at 05:35 AM..
Old 04-13-2016, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Keeping these cars running the way your father did requires a lot of effort; time and money. People on this board put a lot of effort into keeping their old Porsches running, but when other life obligations or interests change, we sell them.

That being said, my father purchased a 944 brand new while stationed in Germany in 1982 and waited 9 months for delivery. He picked it up at the Porsche factory. I still have a picture of the car sitting at the factory with a bouquet of flowers on the hood. Porsche really rolled out the red carpet on factory delivered cars! Both me and the 944 grew up together and now it is in my garage. I will never sell it and have always ensured that the car went with me wherever my job took me. It moved with me six times in the last 10 years all over the US. It's an extreme commitment to keep a sentimental-value car.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
You are right. The car is one of the few things he did for himself. He always regretted selling his Austin Healy from his youth too. I think he mourned letting the car go, the day he brought it to me. He does keep asking if we want the car. He is coming in town tonight so I will talk with him more about it. I don't want to regret the decision. He, nor we, need the money so that isn't the issue. The issue is, should we just let it sit here, as he did for the last few years, and not really use it? My son has been driving for 3 years and is a GREAT driver. He drives daily. It isn't the car for him now bc of his lifestyle. He has some ADD issues so imagining him behind the wheel of a 5 speed scares me. He doesn't need any more distractions. I taught him to drive it and he agreed with that too. He is VERY involved in sports and drives to and from ball fields and tracks and has his stinky gear with him.
My dad ultimately wanted the Porsche gone for a few reasons:1, he can't drive it any longer. 2, he wanted space to do wood working and "enjoy the time he has left doing something he loves and enjoys". 3, He has an amazing wood bench and shelves picked out and was going to purchase it with the money from the car. He hates dipping into retirement for something extravagant. He likes the finer things- Sjosbergs Elite 2500 with cabinet...its 2800$.
We COULD just buy the woodworking equipment for him and it would eliminate the issues. My husband and I discussed this and its a possibility. We have space for his car to stay here. He brought it here originally thinking we would keep it for ourselves or for our teen son. We thought about it and thought about it but felt it wasn't the best thing for us practically. But at the same time, the thought of selling it makes me cry every time. I still sit in it at nt and can smell him. Its sentimental. Y'all leave me much to consider.
How hard is it to maintain a car with this many years/miles on it?
I'm going to swim against the tide here and say unless you or your husband is mechanically inclined then your decision to part with the car, as hard as that is, is probably the right one. AT 237k miles things will need to be done. Whilst driving it is good for the car, the more you drive it the more often things will come up that need to be done. I agree you should ask 30 but I agree with Techweenie assessment. The fact is it will need a top end re build at some point. Bear in mind I have not seen the history / paperwork but things like bushings all round, shocks, seals and on and on will need to be replaced. I'm sure you have had some interest already and i think listed on enthusiast sites like this one the car would go quickly and hopefully to an enthusiast. Ebay may also be a good venue to list the car simply for the broader publicity.
If your dad cant drive the car its pretty obvious that he has really moved on. It doesn't seem like you or your husband really want the car so its just a case of when you sell. Best advice is to rip the band aid off and let it go, and let your Dad enjoy his new hobby with the money from the car.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
gearhead

After reading the updates of the last two days I'm going to say that I think you should sell it. It is a special car and has sentimental value but it really doesn't seem to fit in with your life. Maybe you can find a local buyer who will give your dad "visitation rights" and will take him for a ride to a cars and coffee or Sunday morning car show once in a while.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-13-2016, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
After reading the updates of the last two days I'm going to say that I think you should sell it. It is a special car and has sentimental value but it really doesn't seem to fit in with your life. Maybe you can find a local buyer who will give your dad "visitation rights" and will take him for a ride to a cars and coffee or Sunday morning car show once in a while.
With this in mind, call your local PCA chapter President and explain to him the situation. Tell him you're looking for a special new owner for a special car that's dear to your heart, who would 'share' his experiences with you and your Dad from time to time. Tell him you want a fair price but want to stay in touch with the car and the new owner. I'm betting the car will be snapped up by a like minded PCA member.

I doubt anyone of us here, if local, would mind stopping by from time to time to give Pops a ride and spend the morning at a Cars and Coffee. Seems like a win win.

I like Matt's idea.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

My dad came in town last nt and we talked in detail about his car. He says he is 100% fine with selling it and wouldn't regret it. He knows its not a practical, logical or even safe car to drive around with the kids. He REALLY just wants to move on and enjoy his love of woodworking and the money from this car will allow him to do that. He said he enjoyed it for many, many years but is ready to move on from it to something else he enjoys. I don't feel as guilty now for selling it for him. We DID go ahead and purchase his wood bench for him so that he could start enjoying that without feeling like he had to wait until his car sold. I will take more pictures of him with his car before we bid farewell. I think at this point it may be more sentimental and harder for me than it is for him. Its a reflection of who he was but getting homemade furniture for our children dolls and seeing pictures or reading stories of him volunteering all over the world is who he IS now. We will have those things to cherish forever. Someone will be VERY lucky to get his car.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
gearhead

Quote:
My dad came in town last nt and we talked in detail about his car. He says he is 100% fine with selling it and wouldn't regret it. He knows its not a practical, logical or even safe car to drive around with the kids. He REALLY just wants to move on and enjoy his love of woodworking and the money from this car will allow him to do that. He said he enjoyed it for many, many years but is ready to move on from it to something else he enjoys. I don't feel as guilty now for selling it for him. We DID go ahead and purchase his wood bench for him so that he could start enjoying that without feeling like he had to wait until his car sold. I will take more pictures of him with his car before we bid farewell. I think at this point it may be more sentimental and harder for me than it is for him. Its a reflection of who he was but getting homemade furniture for our children dolls and seeing pictures or reading stories of him volunteering all over the world is who he IS now. We will have those things to cherish forever. Someone will be VERY lucky to get his car.
Good for you. If you need any help from the community when it comes to vetting buyers just bump this thread. We'll be here to assist.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-14-2016, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Glad to hear you were able to make a decision and all family members are happy.

For comparison, did you see the other white 88 911 cab for sale in the Pelican classifieds? Also an original doctor owner with 64k mi.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

We have an offer for 28k from someone who could be here tomorrow. Should we accept it or hold out for 30k? Curious of your thoughts? Ive never watched a Porsche sell and am not so familiar with it all. Also, do we just sign the title over and then do a Bill of Sale? Does my dad need to be present for all of that or can I just do it all if he signs the title? I ask bc he is leaving the country on Sunday for 2 wks so curious if we can sell it during that time if he's not present?
Old 04-20-2016, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
gearhead

I would personally not accept a remote offer lower than asking because once they show up they will beat you up even more. Its a game of chess. They won't offer the same 28 once they are there. Tell them the price is 30 and they can come see it.

You might get some story about travelling so many hours and so many dollars just to see a car and they want to be sure in advance. Don't feel sorry for them. Maybe you can do a deal at 28, but starting there before they even see the car puts their real number at 25-26.

Yes, dad can sign the title and Bill of sale and leave country. He could even do a pos in case someone raises a concern about your right to sell it. But don't offer the pos up front.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-20-2016, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
gearhead

Stupid auto correct. Poa. Power of attorney. Not piece of sh...
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-20-2016, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Definitely don't get their hopes up by cutting the price before they even show up.

And remember:
Cash or wire transfer only and no title until your bank says funds have cleared. Lots of scammers out there with fake certified checks so certified/bank checks are no longer safe.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
gearhead

Yep. Unless they have a bank with a local office where you can witness the check being drafted don't take a check.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-20-2016, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

So stick with 30k then? Got it! And we would meet at my dad's bank and only accept cash and make sure it was all legit first. Ive heard nightmares about cashiers checks not clearing and funds being stopped on them. Not gonna go there. We have had so many interested people just in the short time it was posted. We dealt with one person for hours one day (he was fine with the 30k) and then his funds didn't work out. I still only have it listed on Craigslist. Should I go ahead and pay and post it on this site and rennlist? I was *hoping* to just sell it to someone relatively close which is why I didn't do that before. I really do appreciate all of your help!!!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: