Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
gearhead

It is free to post here. Just expect anyone who sees the ad to read this thread. That can be good and bad. Good because you might find someone who gets it. Bad because someone who is dishonest may tell you what you want to hear to try to wrestle the car away for a flipper price.

In a seller's market, which this is, patience is key. Talk to a few people. Let a few people see it and walk away when you don't deal very much. Your gutt will tell you when the right buyer walks up to the car and looks it over.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

What Matt said.

I wouldn't budge on 30k at all. Take it or leave it. You have enough interest as is, zero need to haggle.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Taunter of Asshats

Yup, post here. We'll help you out. Wish I was closer, I'd take a look....
Old 04-20-2016, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
If you don't plan to budge from $30K, add the word 'firm' to the price
otherwise you are simply wasting some people's time.
I second that. Early this year a seller was asking me if I was interested in "making an offer", then I drove 3 hrs to go see the car and when I made an offer he said "full ask or nothing". Not cool.

2004 996TT w/X50
1974 911 Targa
Old 04-21-2016, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Stick with the 30k, and add the word firm. Someone showing up with 29k cash might change your mind tho!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Stick with the 30k, and add the word firm. Someone showing up with 29k cash might change your mind tho!
Yep. In the above example I might even take that offer at 28k, but not in advance.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Home of the Whopper

Garage
I still think its a mid 30s car.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
If you don't plan to budge from $30K, add the word 'firm' to the price
otherwise you are simply wasting some people's time.
Great advice! I went into the listing and added FIRM. Thank you for suggesting that! I contacted our regional Porsche Club of America about it too. I also got everything in place so that I could sell the car while my dad is traveling out of the country. Y'all have all helped so much with this! I can't thank you enough!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

miles

I recently sold a clean high mileage car. You'll need to wait to find someone who actually plans to drive it. Otherwise you'll be dealing with collector wanna-bes who will obsess over the mileage and nit pick over details that would normally only matter to a 25K mile concours car. The difference will become quickly apparent and you'll learn to chase off the time wasters.

good luck with the sale.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Hi! It's me again. A potential buyer is asking me if I know if (or when) our car would need new valve guides even though it doesn't need a new engine? There are 237k miles but there are no leaks at all and the car, the belt is in great condition, all cylinders are running at 12-14%, spark plugs are clean without fouling, theres no blue smoke even on cold start up.
Any clue on when/or if these cars need new valve guides and if so, how much money that is?
Old 04-28-2016, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajg View Post
Hi! It's me again. A potential buyer is asking me if I know if (or when) our car would need new valve guides even though it doesn't need a new engine? There are 237k miles but there are no leaks at all and the car, the belt is in great condition, all cylinders are running at 12-14%, spark plugs are clean without fouling, theres no blue smoke even on cold start up.
Any clue on when/or if these cars need new valve guides and if so, how much money that is?
Historically there has been a lot written about premature valve guide wear on 3.2 Carreras. Somewhere along the line people started thinking that meant if it happened at 100k mi or 150k it was "premature" when it reality pretty much all the cars with the issue showed it in 40-50k mi. Your car is so far out of the realm of the "issue".

That said, your car has a high mileage engine. It could need a top end rebuild or a full rebuild anytime in its future. Don't make any representations regarding how long (or how short) it will last before it needs care. Let the prospective buyer take it for a PPI, have the leakdown and compression tested, and make their own assessment. The sort of subjective assurance that they are seeking is beyond your obligation, and your actual knowledge, as a sell.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
12-14% leakage is getting up there.
The shop who did the work should have noted where the leak(s) were coming from; intake, exhaust or rings.
This doesn't necessarily mean the valve guides are worn, but if the valves are wearing the guides aren't far behind.
If all cylinders are ~even and no excessive oil consumption, you probably have years to go with occasional use.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK911 View Post
12-14% leakage is getting up there.
The shop who did the work should have noted where the leak(s) were coming from; intake, exhaust or rings.
This doesn't necessarily mean the valve guides are worn, but if the valves are wearing the guides aren't far behind.
If all cylinders are ~even and no excessive oil consumption, you probably have years to go with occasional use.
He told me 12-14% was still good and it was uniform which is good so no engine rebuild was needed. Do those numbers mean it DOES need some sort of rebuild?
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

If it drives well and doesn't consume an excessive amount of oil (see manual- some oil consumption is expected) then it has a good chance of going a long time without a top end rebuild. But it a source of concern for buyers and can become part of the negotiation.

These engines can last a surprisingly long time, anecdotally into the 300K mi and beyond range, if they've been maintained.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
12-14% is still OK but not great. If about even across all cylinders and not excessive oil consumption I would not worry about a rebuild yet. Unless I was negotiating for a purchase, then it is unacceptable.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
i feel compelled to add my opinion.

First, are you a car gal? If so then you will regret ever letting this car go. My dad was a car nut and loved Pcars and never managed to get the 911. After he died last year I decided that life is too short and all that, so I bought the car I thought he would have bought if life and his responsibilities wouldn't have interfered. Every time I drive the car I smile and think of him. The 911 I own was never his, yet it brings me closer to him all the time. (Google son buys 911 dad never had was on Rennlist) Son Honors Dad's Porscheophilia With a 1979 911SC - Rennlist
I would venture that you/your dad could keep the car if you really wanted, but if you aren't going to drive it then you shouldn't keep it. Don't be afraid to drive it at all, BUT understand that maintenance might be an issue as cars consume things and a rebuild on these engines is getting pretty pricey. (>$10,000)

If you aren't a car gal and have something else to cherish your dad with (sounds like you probably do and have a good legacy) then by all means sell the car.

Second, I think low to mid 30s should be attainable. Keep every scrap of paper related to the car. Anything at all. One owner cars like this one aren't that easy to find and for some guys, the story behind the car is almost as important as the condition of the car. If I were you I would spend a little time and paint a picture of the owner and care of the car. Read a few posts in the cars for sale section here and find a good example. You will know it when you see it. Write up an ad and post it here. As an alternative you could list it with a reserve and sell it on BaT (Bring a trailer). The ownership trail would make a great story there. Both these suggestions require quite a bit more work, but there is a better chance that the person buying the car would be a better steward of it than some random CL guy.

Alternatively, you could sell it quickly for 30k with little fuss.

It's too bad our timing is off, because it would have been great to buy something cherished by your dad to remind me about my dad. Heck, I would have even sent your dad updates on how the car is doing. Sounds like your dad is a great guy.

Good luck to you. Someone will get a nice car.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Of all the commenters here your posts are solid with excellent advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
It is free to post here. Just expect anyone who sees the ad to read this thread. That can be good and bad. Good because you might find someone who gets it. Bad because someone who is dishonest may tell you what you want to hear to try to wrestle the car away for a flipper price.

In a seller's market, which this is, patience is key. Talk to a few people. Let a few people see it and walk away when you don't deal very much. Your gutt will tell you when the right buyer walks up to the car and looks it over.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
^^^
Wow, after reading that, I'm changing my mind. I recommend keeping that car given its special meaning and future legacy for the family. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone else who would take care of it as well.

About the records, I'm mainly interested in learning from his maintenance regimen, fluid change intervals etc and how he takes care of that car. Like you said, I believe driving habits matter as well.
I just actually read thru all of his service work yesterday. He has his original service book with all dates and mileage and stamps from company showing each service at 10-15k miles for oil change, emission controls, vehicle maintenance. Most of this was done at the Harper Porsche dealership on 1k, 20k, 30k, 57k, 70k, 95k, 103k, 118k, 124k, 130k, 146k then after 160k miles moved over to Air Cooled Classic where Skip Trammel worked at 161k,176k, 191k, 204k, 206k, 211k, 224k miles. He also has all the receipts showing details of what was done during these maintenance checks. In addition to regular maintenance he had these services and receipts:
57k new brake pads
66k engine tune up, plug wires, distributor cap, tune up
84k new tires, 6 spark plugs, repair headlight connection, front and back brakes, distributor cap, rotor button, and all oil and fluids changed.
95k freon, new matter, clean idle motor and all reg maintenance of fluids
103k spark plugs, valve cover, freon, cv boot kits with all reg maintenance
118k new spark plugs and fuses, distributor cap and rotors replaced, ED elec system diagnostic time, ac thermo switch and add freon
121k new brakes, brake pads, rotors
124k fuel filter
130k, all 15k service, r&r intake manifold assy to replace fuel delivery line, replace oil thermostat o ring and light switch, repair fuel hose on engine, replace clutch assy and flywheel and clutch fork and brg assy
146k 15k mile complete service and replace front brake pads and new interior lamp
151k new battery
156k new shocks, right wheel bearing, brake pads, charge AC
161k 15k major service, repair rear swayer mount, front brake calipers, new rotors and pads
176k 15k major service and new rear brakes, pads, sensors, replace heater fan motor, replace all 4 CV axle boots
181k brake light switch, fuel pump, battery
189k new alternator
191k all reg fluidsand maintenance for major service, spark plugs, wipers, gasket, oil, trans, belt
196k new tires
in the year 2006 new leather seats installed in original maroon leather
202k rear rotors and brakes, pads, sensors
206k oil and service and 6 spark plugs and belt and ac belt, hypoid, all fluids
211k oil and ac service
213k door seals and threshhold plates,
219k replace AC with 134a, service all valves and refrigerant, oil service, check trans fluid, charge ac
224k all major service and fluids, r&r starter ck starter and ring gear and replace ring gear and starter mgr and pilot BGR
227k service and recharge AC
235k new battery

Last edited by amandajg; 04-29-2016 at 01:22 PM..
Old 04-29-2016, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
gearhead

Great records. Continue to hold your price.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Someone will buy this car based on the value of one owner / all records / maintained correctly.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: