Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Great records. Continue to hold your price.
Actually, unbelievably great records! Amanda, hold your price.
Your records speak for themselves and are any and all the representations about your car you ever need to make.

That car should sell, and sell soon. Stress the record history. It's going to make somebody very happy.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Actually, unbelievably great records! Amanda, hold your price.
Your records speak for themselves and are any and all the representations about your car you ever need to make.

That car should sell, and sell soon. Stress the record history. It's going to make somebody very happy.
Thank you! I told y'all he was meticulous. Should I post that record history with the ad for it? I never even advertised anywhere other than Craigslist. I probably should but I just haven't. A few people have balked at the price bc of the mileage BUT there just haven't been any signs to warrant an engine rebuild yet. No smoke, gas mileage is fine, no leaks, no weird or loud engine sounds. From what I understand most people don't start thinking about rebuilds till a leak down test is 30%? Is that right? I just don't have an answer for people other than it was maintained well and never needed a rebuild and still doesn't. Will it one day? Sure- if you wanna drive it to 500k but its fine for now.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
gearhead

Yes, include the records and put up an ad here. There are a lot of members here who don't visit this subforum who won't know it's out there.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-29-2016, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspassin View Post
i feel compelled to add my opinion.

First, are you a car gal? If so then you will regret ever letting this car go. My dad was a car nut and loved Pcars and never managed to get the 911. After he died last year I decided that life is too short and all that, so I bought the car I thought he would have bought if life and his responsibilities wouldn't have interfered. Every time I drive the car I smile and think of him. The 911 I own was never his, yet it brings me closer to him all the time. (Google son buys 911 dad never had was on Rennlist) Son Honors Dad's Porscheophilia With a 1979 911SC - Rennlist
I would venture that you/your dad could keep the car if you really wanted, but if you aren't going to drive it then you shouldn't keep it. Don't be afraid to drive it at all, BUT understand that maintenance might be an issue as cars consume things and a rebuild on these engines is getting pretty pricey. (>$10,000)

If you aren't a car gal and have something else to cherish your dad with (sounds like you probably do and have a good legacy) then by all means sell the car.

Second, I think low to mid 30s should be attainable. Keep every scrap of paper related to the car. Anything at all. One owner cars like this one aren't that easy to find and for some guys, the story behind the car is almost as important as the condition of the car. If I were you I would spend a little time and paint a picture of the owner and care of the car. Read a few posts in the cars for sale section here and find a good example. You will know it when you see it. Write up an ad and post it here. As an alternative you could list it with a reserve and sell it on BaT (Bring a trailer). The ownership trail would make a great story there. Both these suggestions require quite a bit more work, but there is a better chance that the person buying the car would be a better steward of it than some random CL guy.

Alternatively, you could sell it quickly for 30k with little fuss.

It's too bad our timing is off, because it would have been great to buy something cherished by your dad to remind me about my dad. Heck, I would have even sent your dad updates on how the car is doing. Sounds like your dad is a great guy.

Good luck to you. Someone will get a nice car.
I can't tell you how much I loved this post. I cried like a baby when I read the story about the car and remembering your dad. I could really paint a great story about my dad and his car. Its a story of a boy who came from poverty and a broken, abusive family and married his high school sweetheart. After college he became a garbage man to support his family before realizing he wanted more in life. He applied to medical school THREE TIMES (which is the max number allowed) before talking them into accepting him. He was with the last class who graduated med school in just 3 years, before changing it to a 4 yr plan. He graduated in the top of his class and busted his ass in med school, residency and ultimately building his own practice, while working so many hours while supporting his family. During snow storms I remember him WALKING many miles to the hospital to deliver babies. He still gets tears in his eyes when he talks about children who he lost to disease. He always volunteered to work holidays so others could be with family. The best gifts we could ever give him would be to donate something to someone in need. He just felt a calling to serve and he was amazing at it. As soon as his loans were paid off he drove to Knoxville and bought this car without even discussing it with anyone. You can imagine my mom's reaction. This car made him feel like he finally made it, like he was worth something.
Once the insurance industry changed he felt like he wasn't allowed to treat the people who needed it most. Bc of this, he chose to retire a couple of years early so that he could fulfill his calling to help people who truly needed it. He has traveled all over to many third world countries during natural disasters, treating malaria, cholera, ebola, post earthquakes and tsunamis just to name a few. When he returns he shows us all pictures and videos of the people and kids he meets there. He stays in touch with these people and thinks about them. He can tell you EXACTLY how much difference he has made in lives after each visit. In one village he went to (I think in Uganda?) half of all babies were dying right after birth JUST BC the parents were delivering them at home and didn't know they needed to clear their airways. He took many, many kits there and educated the entire village on infant safety after birth. The number of babies who are alive after birth now is astounding. He ended up doing something similar in Peru as a result. He was Volunteer of the year with Project Hope and also won a presidential award. I have never seen my dad look so alive as he does after these trips. It breaks my heart that he's no longer able to travel and do this sort of work any longer due to health issues. He hasn't really been able to drive the Porsche for several years either. He wants to spend his remaining years woodworking and doing things he loves. We did go ahead and buy him the Sjobergs wood bench and told him we would just take the money out of the car once it sells. Then today he emailed me from his European cruise asking me to order a Woodriver No 7 hand plane for him bc they are on sale. By the time we get his whole wood working office set up in his garage, we may have very well paid for that Porsche ourselves. Maybe that was his plan all along ; )
Your story was fabulous. I loved every word and the emotion behind it.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajg View Post
Thank you! I told y'all he was meticulous. Should I post that record history with the ad for it? I never even advertised anywhere other than Craigslist. I probably should but I just haven't.

In my humble opinion Craigslist is not a good place to advertise a good car. The noise to signal ratio there is very high. Scams, roached out pieces of junk, rust buckets dominate the ads and attract bottom feeders and time wasters.

My modest suggestion on where to advertise, besides here:

Hemmings.com
Pca.org
Rennlist forum
Ebay

2004 996TT w/X50
1974 911 Targa
Old 04-29-2016, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
So what happened?
Old 05-09-2016, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
So what happened?
The listing expired on Craigslist- I just reactivated it last nt. I also posted it on here last nt. My next step will be posting on Rennlist. The PCA and Hemming fees are higher for posting.
I DID talk with someone from this board today who says he is interested in buying it and feels like 30k is a fair price. I sent him even more detailed pics of under the car and seats, between doors, etc. Should talk with him again tonight. Another person from this board emailed that he is interested as well. We shall see. I feel more like its an adoption that selling if that makes sense? I want it to have a good home ; )
Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
You will regret selling it and you or one of your kids may end up looking for it in 10 years. I sure wish I had one of the cars I had with my dad when he lived!

Your dad had it from new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

"like an adoption" makes perfect sense. Its justifiable to act like a "mère poule" or mother hen around potential foster caretakers. One would ideally want your Carrera to go to an appreciative enthusiast. It is often repeated the notion that we are just custodians of these great cars.
Storied cars like this one requires carefully scrutiny of the next custodian. You may want to even do a background check to see if the new prospect hasnt molested any of these in his past

btw I am the custodian of its twin, also a high miler
each time the thought of selling the car vanishes instantly once I take it out for a drive.
I know your dads car will find a respectful new custodian, his car has such good vibes and the best color for a 911

Old 05-10-2016, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiandk View Post
Did you sell it amanda? If not I am interested at the asking price.
Now here is the perfect buyer for you Amanda!
Old 05-10-2016, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914agogo View Post
"like an adoption" makes perfect sense. Its justifiable to act like a "mère poule" or mother hen around potential foster caretakers. One would ideally want your Carrera to go to an appreciative enthusiast. It is often repeated the notion that we are just custodians of these great cars.
Storied cars like this one requires carefully scrutiny of the next custodian. You may want to even do a background check to see if the new prospect hasnt molested any of these in his past

btw I am the custodian of its twin, also a high miler
each time the thought of selling the car vanishes instantly once I take it out for a drive.
I know your dads car will find a respectful new custodian, his car has such good vibes and the best color for a 911

Your car is beautiful!! I REALLY DO feel like I should be interviewing candidates. Thats crazy to say; I know but its such an important car to us. We want it to go to a loving home with someone who truly appreciates it for what it is and wants to keep it forever. I really want to treat it like an adoption and I can honestly say we've never felt that way before about a car. Just today my nephew's girlfriend of 7 years came by and she saw my dad's car and said " I can NOT believe he is really going to sell this car! He loves it so much and I swear I just remember going over there and seeing him cleaning it EVERY SINGLE DAY!" I think Im going to go take it for a drive now. Wish this car could just talk and tell me who the best owner would be.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you sell it amanda? If not I am interested at the asking price.
email me at amandagillen@att.net and we can get phone numbers and talk.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Quote:
email me at amandagillen@att.net and we can get phone numbers and talk.
I searched/googled a bit on a semi sleepless night and took my offer back. Still might be a great car for someone who can take a look at it - unfortunately that is not the case for me.

Hope the pretty girl finds a nice home. Great history.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
I searched/googled a bit on a semi sleepless night and took my offer back. Still might be a great car for someone who can take a look at it - unfortunately that is not the case for me.

Hope the pretty girl finds a nice home. Great history.
Tell the truth, Chris; being accustomed to the the lawnmower lump in your former 912, the thought of the huge power increase had your knobby knees a knockin'!!!
Old 05-11-2016, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

We have someone from VA who is interested in the car at the asking price. Why is it SO emotional to sell this car? Gonna talk to my dad about it again tonight and try to make peace with it. The car just represents so many things to me about my dad. I don't want to look back in 5 years and regret letting it go and my making the ultimate decision to part ways with it. Maybe thats why he is trusting ME to do it? It wouldn't be an issue if HE was the one making the decision and doing it.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
I don't want to look back in 5 years and regret letting it go and my making the ultimate decision to part ways with it.
Based on what you've written in this thread, I would say that you are guaranteed to experience overwhelming regret down the road (not to mention a shocking since of loss at the moment of the sale).
Old 05-11-2016, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Amanda,

We've been with you the whole way on this. Your Dad wants to move on to woodworking. It doesn't seem to be that emotional a decision for him. You're equating the memories of the car with the memories of your Dad, yet he's still right there.

It's just a car. If I had it to do all over again, I'd spend more time with my Dad, but you have that chance now.

Sell the car. Make some more memories and maybe some furniture with your Dad now.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Amanda,

We've been with you the whole way on this. Your Dad wants to move on to woodworking. It doesn't seem to be that emotional a decision for him. You're equating the memories of the car with the memories of your Dad, yet he's still right there.

It's just a car. If I had it to do all over again, I'd spend more time with my Dad, but you have that chance now.

Sell the car. Make some more memories and maybe some furniture with your Dad now.
Great advice.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-11-2016, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Big change of events. Things happen for a reason and Im so glad that I was lead to this board. When my dad brought the car to us he had all intentions of us keeping it. We told him we decided we shouldn't keep it (for all the reasons you have read) but that I would help him sell it for money to fund his new hobby. Upon MANY hours of research I learned the true value of this car and just became driven to get him a decent amount of money to SHOW him the value of it. What can I say, I'm a driven sales person at heart... Somewhere along the way I lost what the car really meant to all of us. You all really got me thinking about it and looking at the bigger picture and the future. Then every time I thought about selling it I got so emotional, which tells me Im just not ready to let it go. I called my dad tonight and told him that we had a buyer for 30k. I also told him how emotional I was about it and that I wanted to get him the money for it but that it just broke my heart to see it leave our family. He told me it was never about the money and that didn't matter, that he just didn't want it to sit and deteriorate and not be driven and cared for bc it was such an important car. He thought we would be happy to have it and care for it; which is why he brought it to us. He told me that if I wanted it to just sign the title over and take it bc that would make him happier than anything. He said he could see my kids growing up one day and loving that car. We worked out a deal where we would continue to fund his woodworking hobby each month and keep track of the money spent toward the car. He said "I'm going to die one day anyway and the car and money will all be yours anyway so just take the car."
So, Im gonna sleep easier tonight. I feel like this is the best decision. I can't thank y'all enough for the many of you who pointed out how I would regret selling it. We don't need the money and we have the space for it so why not hold onto this car? Im not going to allow myself to be afraid to drive it anymore either. My son and I had the BEST nt out in it last nt with the top down. Im a happy girl. I just removed all of the postings for it and told our buyer of our decision.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: