Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Very good. You never really own a Porsche, you merely look after it for the next generation.

2004 996TT w/X50
1974 911 Targa
Old 05-11-2016, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
gearhead

That's wonderful.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-11-2016, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajg View Post
I can't thank y'all enough for the many of you who pointed out how I would regret selling it. We don't need the money and we have the space for it so why not hold onto this car? Im not going to allow myself to be afraid to drive it anymore either. My son and I had the BEST nt out in it last nt with the top down. Im a happy girl. I just removed all of the postings for it and told our buyer of our decision.
All of that is just excellent to read!

I was in a similar situation with a Ducati 748R that I co-owned, built, maintained and repaired for many years, and endurance raced with my brother and another teammate of ours - I was floored at the gutpunch that came with selling it and wish I had it now (been gone about 7 years or so).
Old 05-11-2016, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Functionista

Desmoquattro-shower-pasta-injector-system-badness and you sold it?

Pessimo!
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

Yep, complete tool to sell it, for sure! 101 wheel horsepower at 11,500 RPM from a 748cc twin - pretty good for 2001 bike technology, and super fun to race (slipper clutch, full Ohlins, custom fuel map, etc, etc.).

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 05-11-2016 at 06:17 PM..
Old 05-11-2016, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbridge 74 View Post
Desmoquattro-shower-pasta-injector-system-badness and you sold it?

Pessimo!
We didn't sell it- decided to keep it in the family and enjoy it
Old 05-11-2016, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Functionista

Sorry for the hijack but I was referring to sale of Il Duce referenced above.

And great choice, you'll be glad you kept the 911!
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
A.

Thanks for all the kind words. I am happy that you reached a decision that works for you. Have fun with the car and don't be afraid to drive it. Get some advice from your dad on watching oil levels and maintenance so you can have years of enjoyment.

It was a pleasure having you on this forum.
Welcome to the Porsche community!
Old 05-11-2016, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Quote:
Big change of events. Things happen for a reason and Im so glad that I was lead to this board. When my dad brought the car to us he had all intentions of us keeping it. We told him we decided we shouldn't keep it (for all the reasons you have read) but that I would help him sell it for money to fund his new hobby. Upon MANY hours of research I learned the true value of this car and just became driven to get him a decent amount of money to SHOW him the value of it. What can I say, I'm a driven sales person at heart... Somewhere along the way I lost what the car really meant to all of us. You all really got me thinking about it and looking at the bigger picture and the future. Then every time I thought about selling it I got so emotional, which tells me Im just not ready to let it go. I called my dad tonight and told him that we had a buyer for 30k. I also told him how emotional I was about it and that I wanted to get him the money for it but that it just broke my heart to see it leave our family. He told me it was never about the money and that didn't matter, that he just didn't want it to sit and deteriorate and not be driven and cared for bc it was such an important car. He thought we would be happy to have it and care for it; which is why he brought it to us. He told me that if I wanted it to just sign the title over and take it bc that would make him happier than anything. He said he could see my kids growing up one day and loving that car. We worked out a deal where we would continue to fund his woodworking hobby each month and keep track of the money spent toward the car. He said "I'm going to die one day anyway and the car and money will all be yours anyway so just take the car."
So, Im gonna sleep easier tonight. I feel like this is the best decision. I can't thank y'all enough for the many of you who pointed out how I would regret selling it. We don't need the money and we have the space for it so why not hold onto this car? Im not going to allow myself to be afraid to drive it anymore either. My son and I had the BEST nt out in it last nt with the top down. Im a happy girl. I just removed all of the postings for it and told our buyer of our decision.
Good for you👍🏻
Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Best post I've read on any forum in a long time. My dad had a silver 69 912 coupe when I was a kid. It was his pride and joy (along with my sister and i, I guess !). Only time I ever saw my father cry was when some drunk homeless wino kicked in the passenger door and pour some nasty hooch all over the car one day while my dad was working. He came home in tears, this was in 1984, the car was 100% original up to that point. The car was perfect. He sold the car after teaching me to drive in it for $5800 to make room for my sister and my cars as we became drivers. He has moved on to audis now..but I am now 46 and was in a position last year to buy the porsche I wanted and that my father had started me dreaming about as a kid. I took me almost 3 years to find the car. You guessed it, a single owner, silver 911 coupe, 1988. My dad drove me to pick it up. I cried all 150 miles home and I think he did behind me in his audi. My 8 yr old son will get this car, i will never sell it. Amanda, you are now a member of a special group (kind of already were, really). Cherish the car and it's memories, and make new ones with your kids in it. Kudos to you for the honor and respect you pay your dad, your kids have picked up on it I'm sure. Your dad sounds like a truly special guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
www.shopbrewmeister.com
Old 05-11-2016, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

“Funny, how the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least.” - Bob Dylan

Sorry I'm still going to bet the other way.

Sentimentality can get you into trouble. I know as I am one sentimental person. These cars take time, commitment, effort, insurance, gas, storage, parts, know-how, money and even more time. Time in this life is more important than any old 911 - and that's even to me.

I would have sold it and moved on. Your father had the right mindset from the beginning - and that's to move on to woodworking.

There are no material objects I ever regretted selling (because usually you can always buy it back). My only regret is not selling sooner. To open new chapters in your life is a really satisfying thing.

At the end, eventually it will be sold. And after years of sitting more and more, realizing that it isn't being used, it should have gone to someone who wanted to start a new chapter in their life. And it's always a good thing to sell when things are at an all-time high.

For everyone it's not always the time and place for a family to keep an old car, despite what people on this forum think. I thought I would have kept lots of things to enjoy with my kids, but what I've learned is that it's my time they want, not some old thing.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Garage
Don't listen to the noise Amanda. I'm glad you are keeping it. Hopefully I'll see you driving it around next time I'm back in Knoxville. You are in great hands with Skip working on the car for you. He is a very honest and knowledgeable Porsche mechanic. He has worked on several of my cars and my Dad's.

I have a similar story to yours growing up with a Porsche as a sibling. My Dad bought a new 72 911E Targa when he got his 1st real job after med school. He passed it on to me about 25 years ago and I still have it and it reminds me of him every time I open the door and smell the interior. Every time I drive it I remember him taking me for rides in it, my brother learning to drive a manual in it and I was in the back seat laughing at him, my other brother breaking a rod in it racing a corvette, each of the 6 kids taking it to prom and so on..... The money can't replace the memories for me. I have owned several dozen Porsches and this one is the one I'll always keep in the family. I also just bought back his 83 911SC cab from him too since he can't get in and out of it anymore and I originally found it for him 17 years ago in Berkekey and drove it to Knoxville for him. Call me sentimental but they are more than just cars to me.
1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Euro
2015 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Old 05-12-2016, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountD View Post
“Funny, how the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least.” - Bob Dylan

Sorry I'm still going to bet the other way.

Sentimentality can get you into trouble. I know as I am one sentimental person. These cars take time, commitment, effort, insurance, gas, storage, parts, know-how, money and even more time. Time in this life is more important than any old 911 - and that's even to me.

I would have sold it and moved on. Your father had the right mindset from the beginning - and that's to move on to woodworking.

There are no material objects I ever regretted selling (because usually you can always buy it back). My only regret is not selling sooner. To open new chapters in your life is a really satisfying thing.

At the end, eventually it will be sold. And after years of sitting more and more, realizing that it isn't being used, it should have gone to someone who wanted to start a new chapter in their life. And it's always a good thing to sell when things are at an all-time high.

For everyone it's not always the time and place for a family to keep an old car, despite what people on this forum think. I thought I would have kept lots of things to enjoy with my kids, but what I've learned is that it's my time they want, not some old thing.
While I agree with your sentiment, the beauty is that a decision like this isn't irreversible. If Amanda goes the next year and finds that she and her family aren't using and enjoying the car, then they sell it. It's that simple. I don't agree with the bubble is going to pop tomorrow Chicken Littles and her dad owned the car so long that even if there was a market contraction and it pulled back 10-15% in the next 12 months it is still a car worth a fair bit of change.

Hell, summer is in a month. Drive the sucker for the next 4-5 months and then sell it on when the seasons change. Have a last hurrah with dad's car and then pass it on to the new caretaker after creating some new memories with your own kids in grandpa's vintage sportscar. That, IMO is worth way more than whatever you can sell this thing for.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-13-2016, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Hi! It's me again! It's hard to believe that it's been a full year since all of these conversations occurred! We still have my dad's Porsche BUT Im interested in selling it. We have had it for over a year now and find that we don't take advantage of the opportunities to utilize it. In fact, we KNOW we need to drive it every 6-8 wks to keep it running well and its hard for us to really find the time to actually enjoy getting out and driving around in it. Our lifestyle with 4 kids just doesn't warrant us having this type of a car.
My dad has spent a lot of time here with us and stays the night with us frequently and I know he is completely at peace with selling the car. I didn't know/believe that from my dad or myself a year ago.
So, Im curious if the market trends are still the same for this car? I haven't done ANY research on it at all in a full year. Im kinda at square one again.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
Glad you all have taken the time and really thought about this as a family. I don't think values for this car have changed much in the past year. Still think it is worth a low $30k's asking price and negotiate from there.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Valid question.....I had a range in my head that I felt the car was worth after my own research however someone highly recommended I come here and ask for more accurate advice bc of your expertise. I only posted to CL bc it was fast, easy, free and could reach locals, knowing I would want to post to more specific, higher end classic car sites within the next week. Also, I actually submitted this question several days ago but it took a while to get posted. I value the opinions of the people here bc you KNOW these cars specifically.
Having said that, my dad doesn't need the money. He just wanted the space in his garage to start his new hobby of woodworking so we moved his car to my house bc we have the space (until my son turns 16 and gets a car). He hasn't been able to drive it for a few years now. We considered keeping the car however its not the appropriate car for a 16 yr old. My lifestyle as a SAHM with a 2, 5, 8, and 15 year old is driving around all day with children. I couldn't fit all of them in this car. My dad asked if we would keep it as a "weekend getaway car" but I really don't have anyone who would want to keep my 4 kids for us to get away for weekends ; ) By the time my little ones are gone, I may be too dang old to drive it lol
We DO need to get another car within several months bc my son will be driving. My dad treated this car with so much love and attention to detail that Im afraid to drive it bc I don't feel like I could ever do it justice. If I wrecked it or broke something on it I would feel AWFUL for diminishing the value.
IF we did keep it, would the value just keep going up? What are the benefits of keeping it other than sentimental value?
To be honest, the only true representation of the current market is bringatrailer.com. Everything else is just asking price and BS.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
Here are some recent sales to give you an idea.
Yours has much higher mileage.
I would take $25k and be happy.

1986 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet | Bring a Trailer
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet | Bring a Trailer
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-porsche-911-5/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272682995296?ul_noapp=true

Last edited by sugarwood; 05-23-2017 at 02:48 AM..
Old 05-22-2017, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Thank you! This is very helpful! I do have a hard time finding comparable cars, years, models with higher mileage but I also have a hard time finding one- owner cars with all original parts, no wrecks, that have been driven and treated with white gloves, and every gas receipt and impeccable maintenance records like this too. Its a give and a take I guess and whats important to one person won't be to another. It seems like so many people have these cars and don't drive them? Maybe they are toys or hobbies.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thank you! This is very helpful! I do have a hard time finding comparable cars, years, models with higher mileage but I also have a hard time finding one- owner cars with all original parts, no wrecks, that have been driven and treated with white gloves, and every gas receipt and impeccable maintenance records like this too. Its a give and a take I guess and whats important to one person won't be to another. It seems like so many people have these cars and don't drive them? Maybe they are toys or hobbies.
This kind of attention to detail/love sells. The story sells. I think Sugar is way low with his estimate. As some have stated before, a car likes this with an incredibly well documented, one owner history, even with high miles, is preferable to a 2, 3 or even 4 owner car with a lack of documentation. At least here you can track exactly what's been done (or hasn't been done). With these others it's a crap shot.

I'd start at low $30's and be prepared to accept high $20's. A guy who offers $25K doesn't care about the story, or your Dad. A true Porsche guy knows the value of a well taken care of 911. This is your customer.

GLWS. Convertibles are the toughest ones to sell.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
gearhead

Agree with Nick. Ask $33k and accept any real offer close to 30.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-23-2017, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: