Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help with value of 88 911 Carrera 237k miles

We want to sell my Father's Porsche but not sure how to price it? It's hard to find many cars like this with 237k miles.
One Owner 1988 Classic Porsche 911 Carrera Convertible, white with burgundy/maroon interior and top
Located in Knoxville, TN (has been kept in this area the entire time).
You will be hard-pressed to find an Air Cooled Classic Porsche that has been taken care of as well as this one. My father purchased this car after paying off his loans for medical school. He always cherished this car because of the significance it had in his life. The car has never been wrecked. It was always wiped down, stored and covered in a garage after each drive. He flawlessly maintained this car for the past 28 years. All paperwork and records show regular maintenance of the vehicle. He even saved all gas receipts with dates and mileage. We have had the same person maintain this car for 28 years. He specializes in Porsche cars and is well known in the Porsche community; Skip Trammell. Skip did a full mechanical review and write up on the car this month. Some of his notes include:
The interior, exterior, top, boot are all in excellent condition. There is no rust whatsoever and no leaks anywhere. The car still has original OEM tie rods and rubber brake hose and are still in excellent condition. Brake pads are good and have no sticking calipers. The car was driven carefully by one person and has 237k miles and has not needed an engine rebuild. All 6 cylinders are running uniformly at 12-14% and the belts are not stretched out. Spark plugs are all clean with no fouling. There is no blue smoke even on a cold start up. No oil or transmission leaks. Car battery is good and the alternator is working great and the car will also come with a trickle down charger. The back of the car was repainted once due to the clear coat peeling over the back passenger fender but it was done by a reputable shop and the paint job looks great. The leather seats and top are new. Air conditioner was converted to 134a. The car has been stored and covered in a garage and minimally driven for the last few years. Owner is a non-smoker. We are only selling because my father can no longer drive it due to health reasons.
Link for all pics here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nabh9cteoxx9kg1/AABsEDV41evB1pF6pJfLxJHSa?dl=0
Old 04-09-2016, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I'd say low $30's. The car sounds very well cared for, but no engine rebuild after all these years and all the miles hurt value.

Sounds like a beauty tho.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This will make somebody a nice car. Heck, I'm tempted to buy just to enjoy for this summer.

Their mechanic has a very good reputation in the area and if he says it is still healthy then it definitely is.
Here is the craigslist ad: 1988 Classic Porsche 911

I have no affiliation with the seller but came across the car a few days ago while browsing.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Wow! Fantastic car! Great condition! Too bad it is not a 356 because then the mileage would mean nothing!!
Old 04-11-2016, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I think the 30k seems fair. Great looking car!
Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I sure do hate to sell it; especially knowing how much my dad loved it. However with 4 kids, 1 who is turning 16, and 3 really little ones, I know that we will need another car and my lifestyle definitely isn't a car like this. It will be a bittersweet day when I sell it though. Makes me wonder if holding onto it for years down the road would make sense?
Old 04-11-2016, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

You'll regret selling it. Keep it.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
Agree. It's irreplaceable ....

MattR
Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

None of my business of course ... but keep it in the family, don't sell it!!!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
It's a nice car and well cared for. I agree with the low $30k market estimate.

I'd bet its worth a lot more to the family though....
Old 04-11-2016, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Keep it, you or your children will regret it later.....
Old 04-11-2016, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
1984 911 Carrera Targa

Garage
Keep it. Put car seats in the back. Done.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdbandito View Post
This will make somebody a nice car. Heck, I'm tempted to buy just to enjoy for this summer.
Me too!! Really hoping this sells soon to remove the temptation.
Good luck!!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I'm going to swim against the tide here and say high $20s.
2016 Chevy Volt parts fetcher- now at 444 MPG
Old 04-12-2016, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I hate to be a pr@*k, but why ask for value when you already have an ad posted on CL a week ago with a $30K price tag?
Old 04-12-2016, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
I hate to be a pr@*k, but why ask for value when you already have an ad posted on CL a week ago with a $30K price tag?
I recommended she come here and seek guidance on market value from the experts.
Lots of tire kickers and nice to know a rough value before negotiations.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
gearhead

I skipped reading the original post the first time because of the wall of text, but then I saw the discussion. Now I've read it. I wouldn't sell this car if there's any way you can hang onto it. Unless your father needs the money for medical care and you can't afford to cover that for him in trade for the car, and then obviously a person comes over a car.

I do think a $30k ask is fair. You might get it. You might need to negotiate down 10-15%. But it's a good starting point.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Valid question.....I had a range in my head that I felt the car was worth after my own research however someone highly recommended I come here and ask for more accurate advice bc of your expertise. I only posted to CL bc it was fast, easy, free and could reach locals, knowing I would want to post to more specific, higher end classic car sites within the next week. Also, I actually submitted this question several days ago but it took a while to get posted. I value the opinions of the people here bc you KNOW these cars specifically.
Having said that, my dad doesn't need the money. He just wanted the space in his garage to start his new hobby of woodworking so we moved his car to my house bc we have the space (until my son turns 16 and gets a car). He hasn't been able to drive it for a few years now. We considered keeping the car however its not the appropriate car for a 16 yr old. My lifestyle as a SAHM with a 2, 5, 8, and 15 year old is driving around all day with children. I couldn't fit all of them in this car. My dad asked if we would keep it as a "weekend getaway car" but I really don't have anyone who would want to keep my 4 kids for us to get away for weekends ; ) By the time my little ones are gone, I may be too dang old to drive it lol
We DO need to get another car within several months bc my son will be driving. My dad treated this car with so much love and attention to detail that Im afraid to drive it bc I don't feel like I could ever do it justice. If I wrecked it or broke something on it I would feel AWFUL for diminishing the value.
IF we did keep it, would the value just keep going up? What are the benefits of keeping it other than sentimental value?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I have seen worse looking "20K -mile" Porsches and with incorrect bits. Just goes on to show correct maintenance and tidy ownership keeps these cars in great shape.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Well Amanda, I feel a little bad now. But I was in the right range for value, so at least you've got that straightened out.

Your Dad's car is just flat out original, well maintained and cool. Your 16 year old will kill for it in 10 years. None of us believe the value will do anything but increase over time, so you've got that going for you. It'll still be cool in 10 years.

My son recently purchased an 88 with more miles than your Dad's, and it's still going strong and will for a long, long time.

However, sometimes it just makes sense to sell. If the $30k is better served elsewhere in the family, go for it.

FWIW, I've never regretted selling any of my cars. When its' time, it's time.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: