Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Answer the question.
If you were paying attention you would know we can't answer the question because the owner won't reveal the provenance. The cars you linked are all sub $100k cars. Its a fool's errand, financially, to spend six figures on restoring some random racecar regardless of the underlying issue of crap workmanship. As has been said before Chad's 67 should just have been crushed.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-16-2017, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=Matt Monson;981697 Its a fool's errand, financially, to spend six figures on restoring some random racecar regardless of the underlying issue of crap workmanship. As has been said before Chad's 67 should just have been crushed.[/QUOTE]

And that is why I can not get into that thread or discussion, the basic premise of the build did not seem smart and now maybe the OP of that thread is coming to terms with his bad decision of throwing tons of money at an old beat up race car with no real disclosed province and diverting that anger and frustration to the people who are doing the work.
That thread is a black hole with no upside. I go to it like I go to those stupid dash cam videos of wrecks on you tube.
1968 Porsche 911S
1964 356C
Old 11-16-2017, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
gearhead

I now go to it for the Ronnie show.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-16-2017, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
That has been pretty good, the thread did pick up with that banter/pictures.
1968 Porsche 911S
1964 356C
Old 11-16-2017, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
yes, ronnie has really helped that thread turn the corner. i feel like that's about the best/most appropriate thing to happen in that thread yet!...
Old 11-16-2017, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
If you were paying attention you would know we can't answer the question because the owner won't reveal the provenance. The cars you linked are all sub $100k cars. Its a fool's errand, financially, to spend six figures on restoring some random racecar regardless of the underlying issue of crap workmanship.
As has been said before Chad's 67 should just have been crushed.
Here's a pic of the 67's race car.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Here's a pic of the 67's race car.

What is your point with that picture? you do not think we have not seen it before? what are you trying to say? What are you doing? why?
I do not get it.
1968 Porsche 911S
1964 356C
Old 11-16-2017, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
What is your point with that picture? you do not think we have not seen it before? what are you trying to say? What are you doing? why?
I do not get it.
Don't think Monson has seen it.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Quote:
If you were paying attention you would know we can't answer the question because the owner won't reveal the provenance. The cars you linked are all sub $100k cars. Its a fool's errand, financially, to spend six figures on restoring some random racecar regardless of the underlying issue of crap workmanship. As has been said before Chad's 67 should just have been crushed.
Quote:
And that is why I can not get into that thread or discussion, the basic premise of the build did not seem smart and now maybe the OP of that thread is coming to terms with his bad decision of throwing tons of money at an old beat up race car with no real disclosed province and diverting that anger and frustration to the people who are doing the work.
That thread is a black hole with no upside. I go to it like I go to those stupid dash cam videos of wrecks on you tube.
What do you guys think the max budget can be on paint and body for a '67 without provenance? Or maybe whats a very skillfully restored, numbers matching? 67 worth top dollar?
Old 11-16-2017, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Rough figuring, If done they are worth in the neighbor hood of 120K, spare bits, glass, gauges etc. engine trans interior and assy. will soak up 80Kthen, 40K tops.
That of course is if he gets the car for free and just has to buy parts and labor.
1968 Porsche 911S
1964 356C
Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
What do you guys think the max budget can be on paint and body for a '67 without provenance? Or maybe whats a very skillfully restored, numbers matching? 67 worth top dollar?
Please don't take this thread further off track with this asshattery. We are talking about the market for used home built or shop built racecars. As in cars that have not been restored, and are ready to take to the track today. Keep your restoration conversation to the other thread. Pmax is a troll, you don't have to join him too.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Rough figuring, If done they are worth in the neighbor hood of 120K, spare bits, glass, gauges etc. engine trans interior and assy. will soak up 80Kthen, 40K tops.
That of course is if he gets the car for free and just has to buy parts and labor.
Please don't feed the trolls. I started this thread on a topic that interests me. These guys just want to take it off track. Don't assist them. See my above response when Mr Newton weighed in previously.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-16-2017, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
A few ways to buy a race car...only #4 leads to possible profit.

1. Perhaps in the long run the cheapest and quickest way to enjoy your race car is to buy a car in good condition with proven lap times. Pay a little more for someone's pride and joy and cry only once.

2. Unfortunately when most race cars are sold they are mechanically worn out, the seat belts and fuel cell out of date. It can still be a fun adventure if you get the car cheap, have a year to sort it out and dont mind going through it with a fine tooth comb to make it safe for you to drive/race.

3. If you choose a mechanically, structurally and cosmetically compromised race car then you have just bought a money pit.

4. Recently a real 73 911s race car (it was modded into a wide body) was bought gutted for under $30k and is being restored to stock 73 911s spec.
The 73 911s will be worth a lot as a street car when complete, but in this case the new owner already had boxes of all the real/expensive missing 911s parts for this ex race car. This could take a few years to finish too. As an investment it might be ok.

Today if I wanted to race a 911 why care if it was a long or short hood 911 race car? In fact a nice 80s short hood race car may be a bargain compared to the similar equipped long hood version.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Quote:
Please don't take this thread further off track with this asshattery. We are talking about the market for used home built or shop built racecars. As in cars that have not been restored, and are ready to take to the track today. Keep your restoration conversation to the other thread. Pmax is a troll, you don't have to join him too.
lol sorry it was a serious question but I agree its off track however that wasn't my intention. Since when are you one to care to keep a thread on track?
Old 11-16-2017, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
lol sorry it was a serious question but I agree its off track however that wasn't my intention. Since when are you one to care to keep a thread on track?
He's trying to censor the internet again.

Funny guy.

Somehow, he believes 67's real experience owning a racecar and living the dream is a fool's errand and hence, not relevant to the market for used racecars.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted View Post
A few ways to buy a race car...only #4 leads to possible profit.

1. Perhaps in the long run the cheapest and quickest way to enjoy your race car is to buy a car in good condition with proven lap times. Pay a little more for someone's pride and joy and cry only once.

2. Unfortunately when most race cars are sold they are mechanically worn out, the seat belts and fuel cell out of date. It can still be a fun adventure if you get the car cheap, have a year to sort it out and dont mind going through it with a fine tooth comb to make it safe for you to drive/race.

3. If you choose a mechanically, structurally and cosmetically compromised race car then you have just bought a money pit.

4. Recently a real 73 911s race car (it was modded into a wide body) was bought gutted for under $30k and is being restored to stock 73 911s spec.
The 73 911s will be worth a lot as a street car when complete, but in this case the new owner already had boxes of all the real/expensive missing 911s parts for this ex race car. This could take a few years to finish too. As an investment it might be ok.

Today if I wanted to race a 911 why care if it was a long or short hood 911 race car? In fact a nice 80s short hood race car may be a bargain compared to the similar equipped long hood version.
My actual interest isn't really in buying a racecar. It's somewhere a combo of your 2 and 4. I think at the pricepoint you could take something and deconstruct the racecar aspect and have a relatively cheap hot rod. Take out the cage, put smaller torsion bars on it. Sell off the race dampers and put some HDs on it. And then go bomb around country roads with it. Take it to the track 1-2 times a year. And be into it an early car to a lot less than a 70t-73t driver costs you. It will be ugly, but if it's rust free and hasn't been crashed a lot it's a fun toy.

Like was said on an earlier page it's all in the details. Don't want a cars n coffee car. Don't want something with 5 hours left on the engine until it needs to be rebuilt. Some 2 or 2.2l car with a 2.7 swap that's not been made some crazy 8000rpm beast is what I would want. 901 gearbox over 915, but doesn't really matter.

I'm not a buyer, even though I sold my 86 last night. I'm just going to keep playing with the 74 and start bodywork on the bumble bee after letting it sit for 10 years.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-16-2017, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
***forum snugglefest***
Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
^^^Move along buddy.

What's your interest in anything which has gone flat anyway ?
Old 11-17-2017, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
^^^Move along buddy.

What's your interest in anything which has gone flat anyway ?
The opposite of the current, longnose racecar market!!!

Old 11-17-2017, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
The opposite of the current, longnose racecar market!!!

After 4 months, thread finally gotten some air in it !
Old 11-17-2017, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: