Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
For future reference, what is the general procedure for pursuing someone who conned you from another state ?
Do you call the police in his state? His local town? Do you call your own local police? Or FBI?
I went into the local Police station and spoke with a Detective. I figured if I called they'd send a uniformed officer and he'd say it was a civil matter. The Detective was very receptive and he said he'd do everything he could. I assumed he will contact a Detective in Estes Park and they'll pay Peter a visit.

I think I'm at an advantage being in a city where there's nearly zero crime so the police have less to do.

I think calling the FBI would be fruitless since they're busy with bigger criminals.

I went and picked up the paperwork to start the civil suit just now. To file I have to contact the Sheriff where he lives and pay them to serve him, fill out a few pages of paperwork and turn it in. He'll have to come here to defend himself and what could he possibly say in defense? I have the paperwork receipts, dates, phone records of the absurd amount of times I called him. It will be over in five minutes. He entered into a contract and didn't fulfill it, now wants to break it. He's going to lose for sure.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Don't be too sure the FBI can't help in a case of interstate wire fraud or whatever this may be considered.
There was some information in the following thread where a guy was conned for $26k by a professional outfit for a scam car.
I think he involved the FBI, and they were surprisingly receptive, if I recall.

It's 4 pages long, a good read, and it might arm you with some knowledge.

HELP: potential scam, need help in CO ASAP
Old 09-06-2016, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't be too sure the FBI can't help in a case of interstate wire fraud or whatever this may be considered.
There was some information in the following thread where a guy was conned for $26k by a professional outfit for a scam car.
I think he involved the FBI, and they were surprisingly receptive, if I recall.

It's 4 pages long, a good read, and it might arm you with some knowledge.

HELP: potential scam, need help in CO ASAP
A good read. I'm hoping all this doesn't come to that but if I have to I'll call them.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
Why are you still so insistent on having the parts and not a refund? Seems like someone else here could provide what you're looking for.
I hear you and that does make sense, but I invested so much time and energy calling him, waiting. He engaged in a contract, I paid him and he took the money. What's wrong with me wanting my parts? He could end all this instantly by sending me my parts, problem over for everyone.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
Why are you still so insistent on having the parts and not a refund? Seems like someone else here could provide what you're looking for.
Even if the original seller still had the parts, I could only imagine their condition if/when ultimately delivered. I'd push for getting made whole by having him refund your $$$$ and call it a day.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Even if the original seller still had the parts, I could only imagine their condition if/when ultimately delivered. I'd push for getting made whole by having him refund your $$$$ and call it a day.
If they're not in the condition described he'll be in even more trouble. Then I'll have the parts and sue him for the money I paid him.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
You ain't getting no parts.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
You ain't getting no parts.
Do you know something I don't?
Old 09-06-2016, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

I am not a betting man but am pretty sure that if he had the parts to begin with they are long gone by now.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
No, it just sounds like if you were getting your parts, you would have gotten them.
I think there are no parts. Just a wild guess.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

I'm no Attorney, basically have zero experience in any area of the legal system but I did study contracts in college which probably means nothing. I think it works like this: When I sue him, he's liable for fulfilling his end of the contract (sending the correct parts). He entered this contract by accepting my payment. I'm going to hold him to the fulfillment of parts, he's going to have to track them down and buy them back from whomever he sold them to and give them to me. The person who now l has these parts is probably reading this and thinking "I'm sitting on a gold mine". Again, I'm no lawyer and have no idea how this works.

The end game idea here is to make sure he never scams another person again.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

I am not an attorney either but just because you win a civil suit does not automatically mean that he will have to pay and you may have to try to garnish his wages.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Legal doesn't seem like an issue. In fact, it's a bonus. This is personal for Puma, and he is looking to teach a lesson, and make like inconvenient for the scammer.
If he just wanted his money, this thread would have ended on the post revealing the 180 grace period.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

So I'm laying in bed trying to fall asleep and asking myself the questions that have been posed to me. I do listen to you guys and consider every viewpoint. Why am I so mad at this guy and why do I want my parts? I haven't been really mad in years, maybe even a decade. I know that getting mad at someone doesn't really hurt them, it hurts me. So why am I still mad? I waited fifteen years to buy this car, six because I didn't want to live in the suburbs with a garage and the last nine because my Dad got sick. Those were my choices based on the circumstances. Now I've got a three car garage, time, money, and I buy parts to build my fifteen year dream.

The whole time my Dad was sick I would read this site, sitting in a hospital waiting room, learning everything I could. Waiting. I had built it up in my mind as an escape as to the reality I was dealing with, probably building it up too much. Nine years of surgeries, dialysis, doctor visits adds up to a lot of waiting.

And along comes this guy who has some parts for my dream and he makes me wait. I was incredibly understanding for quite a while. I didn't know what this guy had going on so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Ultimately, he was just stringing me along, making me wait. I called him so many times and got nothing, no return call, no text, all waiting. He took my money and dangled parts to my dream while I waited and waited until I couldn't take it anymore. That's why I'm mad and want the parts I paid for.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Hi Puma

In my view you are doing the right thing. He smells scammer all over the place, BS excuses like those have surely been used time and time again, and he got away with it everytime
He tries, if the scammed buyer is a stubborn fighter and pulls in time the trigger of the PP return policy, then bad luck and good try, AND NO DAMAGE OR CONSEQUENCES WHATSOEVER, but if people give up, which I guess is the rule (or did not use PP) or just let the issue die, deviated their attention with other life matters, then homerun!

People also tend to get ashamed of being scammed / played, and tend to let these matters go forgotten. This is is the very main resource of scammers. It is the iceberg tip, the % game: For every one that takes the fight till the end, there have been x times scammed citizens

I would have no mercy, do as you are doing, and show this guy a lesson. It is not about your money, but about real justice, and someone had to do it. Thanks from the rest of potential victims

Last edited by 9once; 09-06-2016 at 09:30 PM..
Old 09-06-2016, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

You don't have to explain why your mad! That's understandable. Dude needs a beating bad!! He'll get it one day.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Latest: Peter says through a relative that he wants $20 more and he'll send the parts. First I've heard of it.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Taunter of Asshats

Wow. What a POS scammer........
Old 09-07-2016, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Puma- Sorry you are going through this. Obviously his word means nothing - doubt his wife is any different.

If he is reading this thread - Kiss our _ SS!!! $20 bucks is the reason you are not shipping - what a scum bag.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, this is classic con artist behavior. Once you've got sunk cost, they keep hitting you with "You just need to pay another $5000 and we will save the entire $60,000 investment" Some people pay 5 times, all the while, being scammed. This guy's got some serious cajones knowing he's been outed, and trying to milk you for another $20. You already paid, what is the $20 for ? Storage fees?
Old 09-07-2016, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: