Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
I wonder what the seller paid for this car.
It probably was sitting for years, and needed all that work to get it roadworthy again.

Something about that car does not sit well with me.
I'd rather pay more for a less of a wild card.
In ways, this could be a poor value.

Cracked rear bumper pad (dry rot?)
Rust peeking out from the left rear bumper pad
Warping on front smile rubber strip
Door pockets are warped
Rusty VIN plate? Door sill
Rear seat?
Back of driver's seat?
Door sill rust.

What is that weird scuffing on the dash next to the steering wheel??
I agree completely. The entire peanut gallery on BaT is out of their depth. Quotes like "It was stolen" and "price too light" goes to show these jokers have no idea what it's going to take to get this car right.

1) Rust on the rear bumper - yes. Probably worse underneath.
2) Warping front smile is telltale for rust in the front. It just is. It shows that something bad is there - think the movie "It"
3) Rusty VIN sticker. Kidney bowls are probably gone. Sills gone.
4) This is a Chicago car. People are proud of their rust around here. This place has the worst rust in the USA. The amount of salt they use here is staggering. Especially in the 1980s.

Not well bought. The only quote that was refreshing in this sale was the guy that said that putting that car in that nice garage was misleading. It was and is. It added $8K like he said.

This car is a stinker. The peanut gallery knows nothing about how bad these cars can get.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
^^^ It had Phone Dials. Yuck! Car would have broke $35k with Fuchs.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
Yes?? is it not obvious? do you have reading comprehension challenges?
Car's missing the SoCal magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
I wonder what the seller paid for this car.
It probably was sitting for years, and needed all that work to get it roadworthy again.

Something about that car does not sit well with me.
I'd rather pay more for a less of a wild card.
In ways, this could be a poor value.

Cracked rear bumper pad (dry rot?)
Rust peeking out from the left rear bumper pad
Warping on front smile rubber strip
Door pockets are warped
Rusty VIN plate? Door sill
Rear seat?
Back of driver's seat?
Door sill rust.

What is that weird scuffing on the dash next to the steering wheel??

30yrs in a place like Chicago will tend to do all that.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Car's missing the SoCal magic.

30yrs in a place like Chicago will tend to do all that.
Three years in Chicago would do it to an old car. I've been here a couple years, and have never, ever seen the lengths that these municipalities go to hose down the roads with salt.

I've seen cars rust before my eyes.

People love rust back here. They leave it like open sores, almost war-scar like on all their vehicles. I probably see 10-20 cars with the rockers gone. If they had real vehicle inspection around here like they do in Pennsylvania (or Germany) - 85% would fail. This is the worst I have ever seen. And this is coming from a guy that grew up back east. I have never seen the equal. The greater Chicagoland area and Wisconsin takes salt use to a whole new level. I'm tempted to drive an old Saturn around here with plastic panels to fight it off.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Three years in Chicago would do it to an old car. I've been here a couple years, and have never, ever seen the lengths that these municipalities go to hose down the roads with salt.

I've seen cars rust before my eyes.

People love rust back here. They leave it like open sores, almost war-scar like on all their vehicles. I probably see 10-20 cars with the rockers gone. If they had real vehicle inspection around here like they do in Pennsylvania (or Germany) - 85% would fail. This is the worst I have ever seen. And this is coming from a guy that grew up back east. I have never seen the equal. The greater Chicagoland area and Wisconsin takes salt use to a whole new level. I'm tempted to drive an old Saturn around here with plastic panels to fight it off.
You must have never been to Cleveland or rattled your teeth driving down our horrible roads.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
I define a "deal" is a car sold below market price. But that does not necessarily mean it is a deal for the long term owner. Usually the best "deal' for the long term owner is sometimes the most, expensive car he can find. Pay up front and buy the best.
So would I buy this car for myself?, no, for all the reason listed. But can a dealer buy this car and change the phone dial wheels and do a little tarting up and make money reselling it, A dealer did buy this car and I believe he can flip this car and make money. He bought it below market.

As for rust in CA. as opposed to Il. once again pmax, I have seen many Cal. cars worse than this one. I think the smart buyer evaluates a car by looking at the car and only use where it came from as a guide. More than likely the ca. car is better than a Il. car but I would still base final judgement on the actual car and not make blanket statements. I have been disappointed so many times with Ca. cars they have become a running joke here in Tucson.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
^^^
Look at the big picture beyond the rust for now, I say a comparable car from CA with a sprinkling of that intangible SoCal magic would get a higher bid.

Last edited by pmax; 06-08-2018 at 10:45 AM..
Old 06-08-2018, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
^^^
Look at the big picture beyond the rust for now, I say a comparable car from CA with a sprinkling of that intangible SoCal magic would get a higher bid.
I have to agree with you, because there are a lot of gullible people out there.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: