Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
Best advice I can give to one guy looking for one car is get very very involved in your local Porsche scene. Someone local has your car, and when they go to sell it will want to sell it to you, their friend. The best cars never hit the open market, they never see the light of day, they just change hands amongst friends. And the best part about making lots of friends when you are looking for a car is that when it comes time to enjoy your new car, you have a bunch of friends!!!!
Seriously, I know of a Speedster outside of Philly, it has had 5 owners, and has never left a 10 square block area, friends want to sell to friends, not brokers they find doing a Google search.

---Adam
I'll offer a counterpoint and say that is silly advice.

The problem is that one does not simply "get very very involved with the local Porsche scene". How do you propose a guy driving a Subaru Outback get involved with his local Porsche scene? Take his Outback to a PCA DE? Go on a PCA trek in his Accord? Can you even join PCA without a Porsche? And what "scene" are you even talking about? Hell, I already own a 911, and I would get involved in some mythical local scene, if one existed. However, there is no scene. People have jobs and kids. I've gone on a few PCA treks and a few DEs. Many people are of retirement age, driving late model Porsches and no one is offering me the inside line on their vintage cars, or inviting me over for dinner. I think you're using the term "friend" very loosely.

This "get involved" advice is not really practical, even if it made any sense. People with money for toys and tend to have jobs and kids. Assuming there is even a venue for BMW or Subaru guy to attend, no one will take him seriously. "Hey, I am thinking of getting a 911". What do you say to that? "Great. Good luck?" It's not like anyone is suddenly inviting that guy over for a swim. If anything, he are suspected as a transparent bottom feeding golddigger flipper (those threads are numerous) and viewed with disdain and ire.

Buying a car is not that complicated. Cars are a material good with a marketplace. When you buy an oven, you don't "get involved" with the local oven scene. You just go buy one. It's not like you're trying to marry into a class which you are not a part of, and need to jockey an angle. That only applies to someone making a living buying mispriced barn finds or paranoid Alzheimer's sellers who are afraid of people.

For typical buyers with a job, simply keep an eye out on your typical classifieds.

Want a private party sale at a fair market price? CL is awesome and the best place to look. I found a beautiful car, at a fair price, only 18 mins. from my house, and got a PPI done in the next town over. Have cash on hand. Test drive a few when the opportunity presents. Be willing to drive a few hours to check out the right car. Got a busy job? On Saturday, get up at 7am. Drive 4 hours. You can do the deal in an hour. Get home by 4pm.

Are you a dentist or banker with money but no time? Pay a premium from a dealer. You can have your 911 within a few hours of starting the computer, and have it delivered to your door step. No need to hang some club as an unwelcome outsider trying to rush a fraternity.

PS: Just for kicks, I did a local CL search, pretending to be in the market. Within 10 seconds, I saw a 1986 with 90k miles for $38k. Pick up the phone, drive an hour, and go buy it.
Absolutely silly to waste months or years of your life trying to "get involved" in some scene that does not exist and spend years tracking down a car in the most roundabout inefficient way possible.
If I wanted a 911, I would have this in my driveway before the end of the day.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6092089736.html

Last edited by sugarwood; 04-17-2017 at 04:28 PM..
Old 04-17-2017, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Get involved in the scene could easily be on a volunteer basis until you get a car.

I know of three guys who did just that.

-TYPE I-
In the meantime they enjoyed flagging at track events, tech inspecting at auto crosses, marshalling at rallies, they had a lot of fun.

They are the kind of guys that deals come to,

- TYPE II -
not the type that drop in at an annual dinner proclaiming that since they are now a member everyone should offer their car to them and they deserve a deal.

$$$
The first type of guys are almost dragged into buying a car by someone in the club who is moving on and wants to share their enthusiasm with someone that they think can appreciate it, and often money is really low in comparison, just to get them involved and rewards them for their dedication.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I can't tell if you're serious. If so, that has got to be the silliest thing I have ever heard.
No adult with any self-respect would spend their summers flagging racing events (something they probably know nothing about) all in hopes that someone will offer to sell their car.
I'd rather pay the $60k Holt tax than debase my self-worth like that, and disrespect my time.

If I wanted a baseball mitt, should I go hang around the Yankee Stadium parking lot for a few years until someone retired and gave me their mitt?
Doesn't it make more sense to go to Dick's and pick one up on the way back from the grocery store?
One method takes 15 mins, the other takes several years.

The main advantage this arduous and inefficient "get involved" strategy offers is possibly getting a car at a bottom feeding price.
And, if that's the angle, it's borderline sociopathic behavior (pretending to "get involved" when your aim is to buy a car below market value by, well, establishing confidence)

We are not trying to find rare Faberge eggs or Picassos. These are mass produced cars.

Here is another local car. If I wanted a 911, I would just go check this out tonight.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/6087295424.html

Last edited by sugarwood; 04-17-2017 at 05:32 PM..
Old 04-17-2017, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
That was a delightful post but I'd like to offer a counterpoint to your counterpoint.

You can find out who the bosses of your local PCA club are and ask them if you can attend one of their next events. CVR chapter organizes evening gatherings once a month that rotate at various shops in the region,.as well as breakfast things on some weekends etc. I've only been a couple times but each time there were people looking to sell their cars. Plus the shop owners might know of other sellers. I don't think it's a half bad way of.going about looking for a car.

2004 996TT w/X50
1974 911 Targa
Old 04-17-2017, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Sugarwood, I don't understand your response.

Unless you are that TypeII guy in my description above, if someone wants to enjoy track days etc then why not get involved?
At the other end, many guys stay involved even after selling their cars.

There is a lot of fun to be had helping out rather than sitting on the sidelines lamenting the fact that you have not yet found the right car
Old 04-17-2017, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Who enjoys track days by working pit out? Particularly, when the goal is to buy a car, not be a pit crew guy.
That's like telling your kid who wants to learn guitar to go be a roadie for a few years!

No car after a few months of searching? It is my theory that someone who is lamenting they have not found the right car:
a) has no idea how to use a computer.
b) is not willing to pay a fair market price. This person is waiting for the once a year steal. Not a serious buyer, and is more interested in a deal than a car.
c) is too lazy to go check out physical cars, and is just a casual internet shopper. BAT auction peanut gallery.
d) has checked out physical cars, but is a tire kicker still not ready to pull the trigger. (I'd say this is rare, once you get to step (d), you're a buyer)

Rick, I'm not saying you can't find a car for sale at an event. In my experience, cars for sale at events (and via the "scene" like Excellence Mag, for example)
tend to a crack pipe asking price from an highly UN-motivated seller who wants an offer he can't refuse.
Events are the last place I'd look, because if I want to pay crack pipe, I'll go directly to Holt and get unicorn miles, and save myself the hassle of trolling events

To find a real seller, at a realistic price, on a real car, and cut out all the dancing bull****, I'd stick with CL.
I continued my hypothetical CL search for an under $40k '84-89 car and found several more as I expanded to 2 hours away.
Bash CL all you want, but I now have 9 private party cars for sale from motivated sellers to chose from as a result of under 10 mins. of searching.
Call and email all of them, and ask for a phone number to discuss the car. Take it from there. Take a day off work and go see whatever you can.
Unless you're a making a living flipping cars, and paying below market rates, that's how you find a car (without spending several years doing fake volunteering or some crap)

Instead of checking out these 9 cars, this thread is suggesting it's better to pretend to make "friends" at some breakfast scene social 2 months from now in my Outback and hope someone sells me their '84-89, eventually?
Sorry, but that is horrifically bad advice for anyone who is not making a living flipping cars, and is simply interested in A car.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/cto/6065042441.html
https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/6091331887.html
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/6092242259.html
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/6090856662.html
https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/6088311443.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/6082084776.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6071576526.html

Last edited by sugarwood; 04-17-2017 at 06:20 PM..
Old 04-17-2017, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:

"...The main advantage this arduous and inefficient "get involved" strategy offers is possibly getting a car at a bottom feeding price."
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/6087295424.html
Or, your could throw that assertion out the window and instead wonder if there is an advantage to buying a locally well know well cared for car.

Sheesh.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I guess there really isn't any convincing a guy who doesn't really get it. It's like when people say, "it's just a car." Or "why drive a 356, they aren't even a fast Porsche, just a fancy Ghia." There is really no arguing there. But for the sake of argument. Why get involved? Well, for starters someone who is really into Porsches would enjoy working a track event, to smell the rubber and watch the cars, and they wouldn't be thinking of the deal they might get on one of those cars, they would just enjoy watching them. You get involved to be involved with like minded people. If you don't mesh with the group you go and hang out with, it's the wrong group. For example, I'm not very involved with PCA, I only joined last year and mostly so I could autocross my cars locally, I've never been to another PCA event. But I'm very involved with the 356 Registry, because that is where my passion is, and you don't need a Porsche to join. So yes, you can buy a later model Porsche out of a classifieds like a toaster, or go to a dealer and buy one, but that's kind of like going to a cat house, it takes all the fun out of it. And yes, the best cars are never advertised, I rarely buy cars that are advertised, yet I buy a lot of Porsches. How? I've made lots of friends over the last 10 years and built up a really good reputation. I guess it's like guys that go hunting for deer. They dream about Deer season all year, stock up on all the supplies, clean all their equipment, talk to friends about what this season will be like. Come Fall/Winter they wake up early, walk into the woods and wait. They might not get a deer all season, but they'll be back next year, because they enjoy hunting, being a hunter, having friends that are hunters, and being in the woods. But they try to explain this to a guy who says, "I buy my meat at the Grocery Store!" You just can't explain it. So yes, you can find a car on craigslist, but it probably won't be a very special Porsche, or a rare one, but like I said, you don't seem to get what it means to be a Porsche guy. You are basically saying, "why would I want to hang out with Porsche guys and talk about Porsches, none of those jerks may ever sell me their car." And with that attitude, you're probably right.

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
I guess there really isn't any convincing a guy who doesn't really get it. It's like when people say, "it's just a car." Or "why drive a 356, they aren't even a fast Porsche, just a fancy Ghia." There is really no arguing there. But for the sake of argument. Why get involved? Well, for starters someone who is really into Porsches would enjoy working a track event, to smell the rubber and watch the cars, and they wouldn't be thinking of the deal they might get on one of those cars, they would just enjoy watching them. You get involved to be involved with like minded people. If you don't mesh with the group you go and hang out with, it's the wrong group. For example, I'm not very involved with PCA, I only joined last year and mostly so I could autocross my cars locally, I've never been to another PCA event. But I'm very involved with the 356 Registry, because that is where my passion is, and you don't need a Porsche to join. So yes, you can buy a later model Porsche out of a classifieds like a toaster, or go to a dealer and buy one, but that's kind of like going to a cat house, it takes all the fun out of it. And yes, the best cars are never advertised, I rarely buy cars that are advertised, yet I buy a lot of Porsches. How? I've made lots of friends over the last 10 years and built up a really good reputation. I guess it's like guys that go hunting for deer. They dream about Deer season all year, stock up on all the supplies, clean all their equipment, talk to friends about what this season will be like. Come Fall/Winter they wake up early, walk into the woods and wait. They might not get a deer all season, but they'll be back next year, because they enjoy hunting, being a hunter, having friends that are hunters, and being in the woods. But they try to explain this to a guy who says, "I buy my meat at the Grocery Store!" You just can't explain it. So yes, you can find a car on craigslist, but it probably won't be a very special Porsche, or a rare one, but like I said, you don't seem to get what it means to be a Porsche guy. You are basically saying, "why would I want to hang out with Porsche guys and talk about Porsches, none of those jerks may ever sell me their car." And with that attitude, you're probably right.
Well said.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Who enjoys track days by working pit out? Particularly, when the goal is to buy a car, not be a pit crew guy.
That's like telling your kid who wants to learn guitar to go be a roadie for a few years!

No car after a few months of searching? It is my theory that someone who is lamenting they have not found the right car:
a) has no idea how to use a computer.
b) is not willing to pay a fair market price. This person is waiting for the once a year steal. Not a serious buyer, and is more interested in a deal than a car.
c) is too lazy to go check out physical cars, and is just a casual internet shopper. BAT auction peanut gallery.
d) has checked out physical cars, but is a tire kicker still not ready to pull the trigger. (I'd say this is rare, once you get to step (d), you're a buyer)

Rick, I'm not saying you can't find a car for sale at an event. In my experience, cars for sale at events (and via the "scene" like Excellence Mag, for example)
tend to a crack pipe asking price from an highly UN-motivated seller who wants an offer he can't refuse.
Events are the last place I'd look, because if I want to pay crack pipe, I'll go directly to Holt and get unicorn miles, and save myself the hassle of trolling events

To find a real seller, at a realistic price, on a real car, and cut out all the dancing bull****, I'd stick with CL.
I continued my hypothetical CL search for an under $40k '84-89 car and found several more as I expanded to 2 hours away.
Bash CL all you want, but I now have 9 private party cars for sale from motivated sellers to chose from as a result of under 10 mins. of searching.
Call and email all of them, and ask for a phone number to discuss the car. Take it from there. Take a day off work and go see whatever you can.
Unless you're a making a living flipping cars, and paying below market rates, that's how you find a car (without spending several years doing fake volunteering or some crap)

Instead of checking out these 9 cars, this thread is suggesting it's better to pretend to make "friends" at some breakfast scene social 2 months from now in my Outback and hope someone sells me their '84-89, eventually?
Sorry, but that is horrifically bad advice for anyone who is not making a living flipping cars, and is simply interested in A car.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/cto/6065042441.html
https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/6091331887.html
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/6092242259.html
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/6090856662.html
https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/6088311443.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/6082084776.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6071576526.html
On another note, I went through the ads you put up and I recognize at least two (possibly three) of those "private sellers" as well known dealers, albeit under the radar ones. These are guys I wouldn't buy a pickle jar from, and I surely wouldn't buy a Porsche priced at the top of the market from them. And not one car you have listed is rare or special, or even well priced, but yes, you could probably buy a Porsche today if you got in your car and went to see one or more of them.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 04-17-2017, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:

The problem is that one does not simply "get very very involved with the local Porsche scene". How do you propose a guy driving a Subaru Outback get involved with his local Porsche scene? Take his Outback to a PCA DE? Go on a PCA trek in his Accord? Can you even join PCA without a Porsche? And what "scene" are you even talking about? Hell, I already own a 911, and I would get involved in some mythical local scene, if one existed. However, there is no scene. People have jobs and kids. I've gone on a few PCA treks and a few DEs. Many people are of retirement age, driving late model Porsches and no one is offering me the inside line on their vintage cars, or inviting me over for dinner. I think you're using the term "friend" very loosely.

This "get involved" advice is not really practical, even if it made any sense. People with money for toys and tend to have jobs and kids. Assuming there is even a venue for BMW or Subaru guy to attend, no one will take him seriously. "Hey, I am thinking of getting a 911". What do you say to that? "Great. Good luck?" It's not like anyone is suddenly inviting that guy over for a swim. If anything, he are suspected as a transparent bottom feeding golddigger flipper (those threads are numerous) and viewed with disdain and ire.

Buying a car is not that complicated. Cars are a material good with a marketplace. When you buy an oven, you don't "get involved" with the local oven scene. You just go buy one. It's not like you're trying to marry into a class which you are not a part of, and need to jockey an angle. That only applies to someone making a living buying mispriced barn finds or paranoid Alzheimer's sellers who are afraid of people.

For typical buyers with a job, simply keep an eye out on your typical classifieds.

Want a private party sale at a fair market price? CL is awesome and the best place to look. I found a beautiful car, at a fair price, only 18 mins. from my house, and got a PPI done in the next town over. Have cash on hand. Test drive a few when the opportunity presents. Be willing to drive a few hours to check out the right car. Got a busy job? On Saturday, get up at 7am. Drive 4 hours. You can do the deal in an hour. Get home by 4pm.

Are you a dentist or banker with money but no time? Pay a premium from a dealer. You can have your 911 within a few hours of starting the computer, and have it delivered to your door step. No need to hang some club as an unwelcome outsider trying to rush a fraternity.

PS: Just for kicks, I did a local CL search, pretending to be in the market. Within 10 seconds, I saw a 1986 with 90k miles for $38k. Pick up the phone, drive an hour, and go buy it.
Absolutely silly to waste months or years of your life trying to "get involved" in some scene that does not exist and spend years tracking down a car in the most roundabout inefficient way possible.
If I wanted a 911, I would have this in my driveway before the end of the day.
Sugarwood,
You will never have that phony craigslist 911 in your driveway by the end of the day because the real seller has it in Arizona. Did you read the ad? Automatic transmission? Did you look at the pictures? You have to know craigslist is full of scams. Wait, nevermind....you don't know what you are talking about.
Here is the real ad;
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe | eBay

unobtanium and wayner are right, you are wrong
Old 04-17-2017, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
How? I've made lots of friends over the last 10 years and built up a really good reputation.
Are anyone of these friends here ?

Oh, Matt doesn't count.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

right? how is that 6 speed in the carrera from NY?...

Old 04-17-2017, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
I guess there really isn't any convincing a guy who doesn't really get it. It's like when people say, "it's just a car." Or "why drive a 356, they aren't even a fast Porsche, just a fancy Ghia." There is really no arguing there.
Correction - a 356 is not just a "not fast Porsche", butt is a super slower than the slowest of slow Porsche. You're welcome, Adam!

SugarWoody, each to their own and all that (and no harm in the "get involved with the Porsche scene to find the right vintage Porsche" idea), butt I agree with you; I could not imagine using elbow rubbing with Porsche ponces as a means to shop for the right car (would not interest me at all). And yep, if it really takes someone a tremendous amount of time and effort to find the "right one", that person might as well stick to econo boxes as they'll really be in the weeds when their new, old car lets them down and starts nailing the ol' wallet.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 04-17-2017 at 11:20 PM..
Old 04-17-2017, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
We are all different personalities and behave different, so we will all do things differently. That is fine and obvious.
But most of us want a special car for a better than full retail price, chance are slim to none to find that car for that price on a public advertised place.
The only way to buy unique for less than retail is to do what Adam suggest, "be active and helpful and make friends with like minded Porsche people' other wise you will be 'john Q public' paying full prices for advertised and marketed cars.
It is that simple,
and of course not for everybody, because we are all different. Many just are not group types, friendly and or lazy. Maybe it is just much easier to complain about dealers and flippers and retail buying in general on the internet than to go out and do something about it.
But do not wonder how and be envious of those who do get great cars and great deals off of the open market when the knowledge is so freely shared here, it really is all on you.
Bottom line, be honest, friendly and helpful and deals and cars come to those people.

Last edited by ficke; 04-18-2017 at 05:27 AM..
Old 04-18-2017, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Are anyone of these friends here ?

Oh, Matt doesn't count.
Most of my friends that sell me cars aren't on the internet, but I hope everyone continues chasing cars on Craigslist and the internet, it makes my job that much easier.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 04-18-2017, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

And on the fringes of get involved, it is fair that not everyone has the time or inclination, but that is where you find one guy who knows a guy who knows everyone.

Our local independant Porsche shop guy is the go to guy if you are jut buying or selling a car.
He's plugged in to the club

1) People who want to sell but don't have any prospective buyers, let him know well in advance while they are just thinking selling.

2) People who aren't ready to buy but are just thinking of buying let him know.

Eventually the right people get the right cars.

I think the other thing that should be added is that there have been an awful lot of good cars shipped oversees as the US and Canadian dollars represented fire sale prices to the rest of the world.

It isn't as easy as it was even 5 years ago to find a good car here.

But to give Sugarwood a point, if you area cheapskate and arrive expecting to beat the seller down, or leave so you have time to think about it, if it is a good car you will miss it, which I think was Adams point as well.

I just bought a Ducati.
Walked up and gave him the asking price.

It was more than fair on both sides, and if I came back the next day I had no confidence that it would still be there.
If you are buying a Honda civic maybe you do have the luxury of playing games until you land one. I don't know.

Last edited by wayner; 04-18-2017 at 10:17 AM..
Old 04-18-2017, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Most of my friends that sell me cars aren't on the internet, but I hope everyone continues chasing cars on Craigslist and the internet, it makes my job that much easier.

---Adam
I think you're safe. A normal buyer (99% of us) is not going to be carpet bombing "friends" with 1000's of spam letters in hopes of buying a weekend car. Thankfully, they all do just what I outlined and check out 1) forum classifieds, 2) Ebay/CL, 3) local P-mechanic referrals, and 4) regional dealers if he's willing to pay top dollar To dismiss the CL baby with the bathwater b/c of one scam ad is silly. What you don't get is that you can only see buying underpriced cars through a car dealer business lens. For a dentist or finance guy looking for a singular weekend Porsche, he's not going to take on a part-time lifestyle of stalking old dudes at PCA events in hopes to buy a car that is never listed on the internet. Bad advice that no regular buyer will follow (people have jobs and families). People are not looking to start a car flipping business, which is who your article is targeted towards. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited by sugarwood; 04-18-2017 at 05:53 PM..
Old 04-18-2017, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
We are all different personalities and behave different, so we will all do things differently. That is fine and obvious.
But most of us want a special car for a better than full retail price, chance are slim to none to find that car for that price on a public advertised place.
The only way to buy unique for less than retail is to do what Adam suggest, "be active and helpful and make friends with like minded Porsche people' other wise you will be 'john Q public' paying full prices for advertised and marketed cars.
It is that simple,
and of course not for everybody, because we are all different. Many just are not group types, friendly and or lazy. Maybe it is just much easier to complain about dealers and flippers and retail buying in general on the internet than to go out and do something about it.
But do not wonder how and be envious of those who do get great cars and great deals off of the open market when the knowledge is so freely shared here, it really is all on you.
Bottom line, be honest, friendly and helpful and deals and cars come to those people.
Really good post, IcyFicke (***forum dating***), and one of the things that makes my view of how to buy and sell special cars pretty much irrelevant to many on this forum, or in the vintage car world in general, is I never buy and sell . . . I buy and then I keep, and do not look for anything else for very long periods of time (talking well over 10 years).

The newest vehicle I have of any sort is a 1997 Ducati Monster, butt newest car is a 1992, and the last vehice purechase I made at all was in 2006 (when I bought the Mighty Meatlocker Turbo - wasn't near as mighty or meatlockerish at time of purchase, however ).

The whole, "thrill of the purchase hunt" does not apply to me (I find that part of the car hobby pretty unpleasant - mainly because my tastes far outweigh my means). If I had more income, I would probably have bought a few more cars by now, as I really like Lambos, Ferraris and have always wanted to buy an early 70's Pantera to build and customize to the hilt - not that that has anything to do with the price of eggs, however.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

FWIW,

I think both Adam and "Sugarwood" have a point and both are equally correct.

Adam and I know each other but I doubt he remembers me.

I am no longer a member of the "scene"; all my 356 cars sold too soon and too cheap (at least in today's market) but I don't regret that too much. I find more pleasure in the modern Porsche cars.

In my mind the 356 cars have gone WAY too far but that is where you will find the "scene" Adam is describing.

BUT

All the corner work in the world will not land you a great car at a "fair" price, at least in my mind. Registry folks are far too fond of their cars. They may pitch you a "rusty tub" though;-)

Save your sanity, Do your due diligence and pay up when the right car presents.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: