Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Unobtanium-inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
LOL

Bet you don't see yourself being part of this group of Porsche 356 guys and gals that Adam's probably shmoozing with everywhere.

If you want to learn anything about 356's you'd better get schmoozing. I'll give you a perfect example, my late friend Gerry McCarthy taught me stuff you can't find in books, manuals, or on the internet. He went to the Porsche Carrera School, the one they held in the back of Hoffman's, as well as raced with the best of them. Want to know how Bruce Jenning's liked his suspension, talk to Gerry. You can't really understand these cars unless you go back to the beginning, and you can't do that unless you talk to the guy's who were there in the beginning. Buying and selling Porsches is great, but I loved them long before that, the history that is disappearing is tremendous. So laugh it up at the grey haired guys, but you will never understand what a Porsche really is unless you know these guys. Like I said, make friends, you'll thank me later.

---Adam


__________________
http://www.unobtanium-inc.com

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,160
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
If you want to learn anything about 356's you'd better get schmoozing. I'll give you a perfect example, my late friend Gerry McCarthy taught me stuff you can't find in books, manuals, or on the internet. He went to the Porsche Carrera School, the one they held in the back of Hoffman's, as well as raced with the best of them. Want to know how Bruce Jenning's liked his suspension, talk to Gerry. You can't really understand these cars unless you go back to the beginning, and you can't do that unless you talk to the guy's who were there in the beginning. Buying and selling Porsches is great, but I loved them long before that, the history that is disappearing is tremendous.
That's great.

When are you going to share all the stuff they have taught you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
So laugh it up at the grey haired guys, but you will never understand what a Porsche really is unless you know these guys. Like I said, make friends, you'll thank me later.

---Adam
Where are the younger 356 enthusiasts ? The 30,40,50 year olds who hang around that crowd who are not flippers, dealers or in the business.
__________________
I can't afford that.

Last edited by pmax; 04-18-2017 at 10:19 PM..
Old 04-18-2017, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!
 
Rawknees'Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Norf TexASS
Posts: 8,030
^^^

Nice "do-over", pNutz!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!
 
Rawknees'Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Norf TexASS
Posts: 8,030
Mayyyybeeeeee!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Unobtanium-inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
That's great.

When are you going to share all the stuff they have taught you ?



Where are the younger 356 enthusiasts ? The 30,40,50 year olds who hang around that crowd who are not flippers, dealers or in the business.
Well, judging by your question I'm going to assume you aren't one of my regular readers of my many columns and articles in most of the Porsche magazines. But to answer that question with something specific, in the case of Gerry I wrote a very lengthy article in the Porsche 356 Registry Magazine that was very well received. But in a more general way by hanging out with older Porsche friends I've learned lot of stuff that helps me identify parts, which in turns helps me get those parts to people all over the world who need them for their cars. So I share my knowledge everyday in this form as well as helping people out on forums with questions on parts. Like yesterday a guy in his 50s was asking if he could use a seat bottom out of a C Car in his A car. I said no, they are vastly different and it won't fit, I was taught that by Jim at EASY.
To answer your other question there is a growing contingent of younger 356er's, the biggest barrier to entry is the cost of the cars, not lack of enthusiasm. But I sell a lot of low end cars to guys in their 20's and 30's. Here is a great example of a horrid car I sold to a guy with more ambition than money.
Porsche356registry.org • View topic - 356 B T6 Restoration
But guess what, that's another 356 saved, and by a young man.
So once again, laugh at the grey haired guys at your own peril, one day that knowledge will be gone and you can't google everything, not on a Porsche.

---Adam
__________________
http://www.unobtanium-inc.com

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 04-19-2017, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tucson, Az.
Posts: 1,840
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Really good post, IcyFicke (***forum dating***), and one of the things that makes my view of how to buy and sell special cars pretty much irrelevant to many on this forum, or in the vintage car world in general, is I never buy and sell . . . I buy and then I keep, and do not look for anything else for very long periods of time (talking well over 10 years).

The newest vehicle I have of any sort is a 1997 Ducati Monster, butt newest car is a 1992, and the last vehice purechase I made at all was in 2006 (when I bought the Mighty Meatlocker Turbo - wasn't near as mighty or meatlockerish at time of purchase, however ).

The whole, "thrill of the purchase hunt" does not apply to me (I find that part of the car hobby pretty unpleasant - mainly because my tastes far outweigh my means). If I had more income, I would probably have bought a few more cars by now, as I really like Lambos, Ferraris and have always wanted to buy an early 70's Pantera to build and customize to the hilt - not that that has anything to do with the price of eggs, however.
Thanks Rawknees.
To be a bit more clear, I am not hanging out with Porsche people because I am looking for a car. I hang with Porsche people and cars because I like them.
I was not really looking for a 930 when I bought mine. Like I am not really looking for a Carrera GT now but when asked what is your favorite new Porsche and the only one I would buy that is what I have said to my Porsche friends.
When that friend told me about that 930, I went to look at it not thinking I would buy it but more to be polite since I said I was interested in 930's.
The car was so good and the price was so incredible I called my wife and said "it would be irresponsible not to buy this car at this price, it is a gift"
I own a incredible 930 today because I have good friends and not because I have lot of money.
If another friend calls me with a Carrera GT for a gift price I would buy it to or a F40 or a.... that is why I have 7 cars today when I wanted to live the life of a one toy car person. They come to me and it is hard to say no. I sell cars for friends and buy their unfinished project cars and finish them and sell them also, as a friend helping friends.
And they keep calling.
__________________
1978 Porsche 930
1968 Porsche 911S
1964 356C
Old 04-19-2017, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,354
You know what, forget about it
__________________
"Fraud is everywhere in this hobby. Believe nothing, believe nobody, expect disappointment."

2004 996TT w/X50
1974 911 Targa

Last edited by Rick Brooklyn; 04-19-2017 at 07:52 AM..
Old 04-19-2017, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 2,393
Garage
Look, it's not rocket science to buy an air cooled or any car for that matter. The problem is it's a sellers market, so you need to be proactive.

It's like anything else you want; do your homework, talk to people, get online, drive around. Most importantly, know what you want and have the money ready.

How much do you want it and how long do you want to take to get it? I know some who just want a car, are blind to the issues and have more money than brains. Others are methodical, knowledgable and careful. Still more are OCD freaks who will over due diligence the crap out of their search to the point of never pulling the trigger.

No one method is correct. They're all valid. I think Sugars response minimizes the value of the brotherhood, but I get the point. Not everyone has the time or inclination to get involved. They just want a car. I'm not that type of guy, but maybe he is.

I personally have found all my cars through relationships. I know of two right now that are for sale but aren't on the market. How? PCA club friendships, P-shops and other Porsche friends. For me, this is the best way to buy a Porsche. You can normally get a better history of the car and you might even know the owner. Plus, at the P-shops, they can tell you what's been done to the car and how well it's been maintained.

CL, Panorama, Ebay, DE's, Autocrosses, Cars and Coffee, whatever. Try it all. You'll find a car you love sooner or later.

Nick
__________________
1978 SC Coupe, Gris Argent Metallic Silver
1974 2002 Tii Polaris Silver, Under construction
1972 911T
Old 04-19-2017, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 1,820
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
have always wanted to buy an early 70's Pantera to build and customize to the hilt -
That post matched 95% of how I am with cars. I usually own a Truck or Car for 10 years. I'm on the third round so they are only 4 and 5 years old now.
But the last part makes me think we came from the same gene pool. As scary as that is to admit.
__________________
Derrick
Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,160
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
Well, judging by your question I'm going to assume you aren't one of my regular readers of my many columns and articles in most of the Porsche magazines. But to answer that question with something specific, in the case of Gerry I wrote a very lengthy article in the Porsche 356 Registry Magazine that was very well received. But in a more general way by hanging out with older Porsche friends I've learned lot of stuff that helps me identify parts, which in turns helps me get those parts to people all over the world who need them for their cars. So I share my knowledge everyday in this form as well as helping people out on forums with questions on parts. Like yesterday a guy in his 50s was asking if he could use a seat bottom out of a C Car in his A car. I said no, they are vastly different and it won't fit, I was taught that by Jim at EASY.
Of course, I meant here, not your circle of friends and acquantainces in the PCA and the 356 registry. For example, a simple search of your company name in the PP 356 Technical forum shows exactly one thread you have contributed to in the entire last year.


Quote:
To answer your other question there is a growing contingent of younger 356er's, the biggest barrier to entry is the cost of the cars, not lack of enthusiasm. But I sell a lot of low end cars to guys in their 20's and 30's. Here is a great example of a horrid car I sold to a guy with more ambition than money.
Porsche356registry.org € View topic - 356 B T6 Restoration
But guess what, that's another 356 saved, and by a young man.
But he also restored a late model Lambo monstrosity, of all things, professional restorer perhaps and is on the other side of the world, not part of the local 356 schmoozing crowd. Another example would be better to illustrate your point.

Quote:
So once again, laugh at the grey haired guys at your own peril, one day that knowledge will be gone and you can't google everything, not on a Porsche.

---Adam
The "modern air cooled" enthusiasts are caught between the wine and cheese water cooled newer is better PCA crowd and the geriatric 356 clubs. Perhaps it's time for something to fill that gap. It seems like PP got close to being that a couple of years ago but with the loss of members and some key leaders, it doesn't appear the same anymore now, at least not in the main forums.
__________________
I can't afford that.

Last edited by pmax; 04-19-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Old 04-19-2017, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Unobtanium-inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Of course, I meant here, not your circle of friends and acquantainces in the PCA and the 356 registry. For example, a simple search of your company name in the PP 356 Technical forum shows exactly one thread you have contributed to in the entire last year.




But he also restored a late model Lambo monstrosity, of all things, professional restorer perhaps and is on the other side of the world, not part of the local 356 schmoozing crowd. Another example would be better to illustrate your point.



The "modern air cooled" enthusiasts are caught between the wine and cheese water cooled newer is better PCA crowd and the geriatric 356 clubs. Perhaps it's time for something to fill that gap. It seems like PP got close to being that a couple of years ago but with the loss of members and some key leaders, it doesn't appear the same anymore now, at least not in the main forums.
This goes back to my point about why I don't sell 356 parts on Pelican, it is a very very small crowd and not the proper avenue. You and your searches man, it is starting to be like stalking, quoting my website, searching me out. Have you done any SAT pictures of my shop yet?
The car that is being restored in OZ is Neil's personal project, the lambo was just a job, and from what I gather about car stuff in Oz you kind of have to take what work you can get, it's not the large market we have here in the states.
I think the main point I'm trying to get across is that in order to really be a well rounded Porsche guy you might have to step away from the keyboard, there is a large contingent of the Porsche community that isn't on the forums and they are the ones you can probably learn the most from. You're in the Bay Area right? You should probably head down to EASY and chat some people up, you might be pleasantly surprised. Last time I was there I got a hat and a shirt! Maybe that makes me more of an Easy Bay Greaser than you.
---Adam
__________________
http://www.unobtanium-inc.com

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Unobtanium-inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Unobtanium is a business. You are not here on a personal basis.
Unlike a few of your idols in the car business I'm actually a Porsche guy, which is why I have my own collection and restore my own cars. Yes, I'm lucky enough to have a job that I love and through it I've been able to personally have a small group of cars that I enjoy and cherish. I also enjoy my work, the fact I make a living doing something I love is something many people say they envy about me. Most days I feel I'm a pretty lucky guy.

---Adam
__________________
http://www.unobtanium-inc.com

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
 
Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,160
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
Unlike a few of your idols in the car business I'm actually a Porsche guy, which is why I have my own collection and restore my own cars. Yes, I'm lucky enough to have a job that I love and through it I've been able to personally have a small group of cars that I enjoy and cherish. I also enjoy my work, the fact I make a living doing something I love is something many people say they envy about me. Most days I feel I'm a pretty lucky guy.

---Adam
I don't question that.

But you are here not as another P-car guy sharing about his collection and his restoration work, but as a business.

This thread you started is a good example of the very effective marketing you engage in using PP.
__________________
I can't afford that.

Last edited by pmax; 04-19-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Old 04-19-2017, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 1,820
Garage
^^^ Ha! I knew the urge to post as selfie was eating you alive Adam! Finally got one in
__________________
Derrick
Old 04-19-2017, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!
 
Rawknees'Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Norf TexASS
Posts: 8,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
I also enjoy my work, the fact I make a living doing something I love is something many people say they envy about me.

---Adam
That, and your super sexy sexiness, too!


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
That post matched 95% of how I am with cars. I usually own a Truck or Car for 10 years. I'm on the third round so they are only 4 and 5 years old now.
But the last part makes me think we came from the same gene pool. As scary as that is to admit.
***forum luv connection***

^^^

In before Phatt or Monsoon!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sugarwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,311
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
When that friend told me about that 930...
The car was so good and the price was so incredible I called my wife and said "it would be irresponsible not to buy this car at this price, it is a gift"
I own a incredible 930 today because I have good friends and not because I have lot of money.
Was this a friend or just a friend of a friend?
If a true friend wanted to sell me a car at a "gift price", I would tell him, dude, wtf, that car is worth way more than that, why are you throwing money away?
Because that's what real friends do, in my view.
__________________
1986 3.2 911 coupe.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 1,820
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Was this a friend or just a friend of a friend?
If a true friend wanted to sell me a car at a "gift price", I would tell him, dude, wtf, that car is worth way more than that, why are you throwing money away?
Because that's what real friends do, in my view.
Some people have more than they need. It's not always about "The Money".
__________________
Derrick
Old 04-19-2017, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tucson, Az.
Posts: 1,840
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Was this a friend or just a friend of a friend?
If a true friend wanted to sell me a car at a "gift price", I would tell him, dude, wtf, that car is worth way more than that, why are you throwing money away?
Because that's what real friends do, in my view.
You sure do a lot of ASSuming
I know the car going back to 1985 (it is a 1978), I knew what was in it, I knew it was a "gift" price because I know all this stuff that is in it and what it cost and the guy who did the work originally on the car in 1986. So I was willing to pay what they asked for it with out squabbling.
He had asked others who knew the car if they wanted it and nobody else stepped up to the plate. I did.

Another story,
I bought a no rust heavily optioned 67S from a friend for $15,000 He could not sell it in San Diego advertising on CL for that price the highest offer he got was $12,000. I told him to stay at $15,000 it is a great price for that car a "gift to the buyer", he said if it is such a great price you buy it. I did not want it really, but I bought it to help him out and put my money where my mouth was, drove it for 5 years and sold it for $47,500.
I was right, it was gift.

Just because I see a gift price does not me you can see it or the people selling the cars can.
So do not assume I do not tell my friends what stuff is worth and what I would do, "you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink it"
just like here.
__________________
1978 Porsche 930
1968 Porsche 911S
1964 356C
Old 04-19-2017, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
USAF VET
 
matt930s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 2,787
Garage
Sugar britches and pnutz (AKA the sugar-peas, AKA butt snorkle bros ) love to go fishing.

MattR
__________________
I'm looking for a LWB tub or roller(69-73). Please PM.

Last edited by matt930s; 04-19-2017 at 06:15 PM..
Old 04-19-2017, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
USAF VET
 
matt930s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 2,787
Garage
Adam...you rocked it! Business on top, party in the back!

***monsoon one-upping***

__________________
I'm looking for a LWB tub or roller(69-73). Please PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:41 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2017 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.